What does LOD stand for?

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
I've searched long enough.
I'm guessing, due to the size of these lights that it means low output discharge, but can't find a definition of this acronym anywhere.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
L0D, L0D-CE both refer to a series of AAA powered flashlight made by Fenix. The L0D is the Luxeon version and the L0D-CE is the brighter Cree XR-E version. I don't think they stand for Low Output Discharge because the flashlights are pretty bright considering their LEDs and power source.

Fenix also produces the L1D-CE, L2D-CE, L2D-Rebel 100, L2D-CE Q2, L2D-CE Q5, P1D, P1D-CE, P1, P1-CE, P2D-CE, P2D-Rebel 100, P2D-CE Q2, P2D-CE Q5, P3D-CE, P3D-Rebel 100, P3D-CE Q5, E0, E1, L1T, L1T V2.0, L2T V2.0, L1S, L2S, L1P, L2P, L1 and probably a few more.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the Fenix L0D, it is just a naming convention. The L likely indicates that it is run off off standard alkaline batteries (L as opposed to P i.e. P1D-CE). The 0 (zero) likely indicates that is uses a AAA battery whereas the L1D uses a AA battery and the L2D uses 2 AA batteries. I am certain that the D stands for digital and I don't know exactly what that means, but I understand the significance to be that it has discrete, digitally controlled levels that make the light more useful for more situations.

I think that you will like it if you buy it!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix AAA lights:

E0 is a 5mm LED light. 4 lumens for 5 hours. EDIT correction 9+ hours.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e0.htm

E1 is a "1/2 watt" light. 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e1.htm

L0P is Fenix's 1st Luxeon AAA light. 30 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH)
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l0p.htm

L0P SE (P=premium, SE=special edition) is a 3 mode light.
Medium is 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins. Similar to an E1.
Low is 4 lumens for 5 hours. Similar to an E0.
High is 30 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH). Similar to an L0P.
So you get 3 lights in 1.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l0pse.htm

L0D (D=digital) is an L0P SE with the addition of strobe and SOS modes.
Strobe is useful for making people aware you are there. Such as crossing the stret at night.
SOS (..._ _ _...) is great for shining at Al Gore during the Save The Planet Concert.
There are Holiday versions of the L0D in red and green with snowflakes.

L0D CE (CE=Cree edition) is an L0D with a Cree emitter.
Medium is 15 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins.
Low is 7 lumens for 5 hours.
High is 45 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH).
The increase in brightness is most noticeable in the spill light, allowing you to see a wide area clearly.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l0dce.htm

L0D RB80 (RB=Rebel LED, 80= 80 lumens at 350 mA) is a L0D with a Rebel emitter.
The RB80 has a stronger hotspot but weaker spill light than the L0D CE. For throw (distance) the RB80 is better. For closer work the CE is better.
Some people like the warmer (less blue) tint of the RB80.

The LATEST THING is Fenix Limited edition L0D Q4 in Dark Red (Hard Coat)!
This puppy tops out at 75 lumens with a single AAA!
It comes in a beautiful matching red box.

-----

Fenix name convention:
L series Lights that use common batteries
P series Powerful lights that use 3V CR123A batteries
E series Economical lights
T series Tactical lights coming soon.

The CR123A (123A=one 2/3 A size) are shorter but fatter battery than AAA. So a 1xCR123A light such as P1 CE is shorter but fatter. Because the batteries are double the voltage of the AAA the lights are also much brighter. Problem is they are usually expensive locally. Care should also be taken when using them. Most the exploding flashlights mentioned on CPF seem to be using 123A batteries (usually multiple 123A)

-----

BTW it is L-zero-D. Not L-oh-D.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Legion 0f Doom?

hey..:grin2:
its most likely arbitrarily used to designate a product in the manufacturing line...even Surefire outright says they don't know what KL stands for on their LED heads.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Legion 0f Doom?

I loved the Road Warriors!!!

lodrs4.jpg

WWWWHHHHAAAT A RUSH!!!

Last edited:

crocodilo

Enlightened
Fenix AAA lights:

E0 is a 5mm LED light. 4 lumens for 5 hours.

E1 is a "1/2 watt" light. 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins.

L0P is Fenix's 1st Luxeon AAA light. 30 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH)

L0P SE (P=premium, SE=special edition) is a 3 mode light.
Medium is 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins. Similar to an E1.
Low is 4 lumens for 5 hours. Similar to an E0.
High is 30 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH). Similar to an L0P.
So you get 3 lights in 1.

L0D (D=digital) is an L0P SE with the addition of strobe and SOS modes.
Strobe is useful for making people aware you are there. Such as crossing the stret at night.
SOS (..._ _ _...) is great for shining at Al Gore during the Save The Planet Concert.
There are Holiday versions of the L0D in red and green with snowflakes.

L0D CE (CE=Cree edition) is an L0D with a Cree emitter.
Medium is 15 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins.
Low is 7 lumens for 5 hours.
High is 45 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH).
The increase in brightness is most noticeable in the spill light, allowing you to see a wide area clearly.

L0D RB80 (RB=Rebel LED, 80= 80 lumens at 350 mA) is a L0D with a Rebel emitter.
The RB80 has a stronger hotspot but weaker spill light than the L0D CE. For throw (distance) the RB80 is better. For closer work the CE is better.
Some people like the warmer (less blue) tint of the RB80.

The LATEST THING is Fenix Limited edition L0D Q4 in Dark Red (Hard Coat)!
This puppy tops out at 75 lumens with a single AAA!
It comes in a beautiful matching red box.

-----

Fenix name convention:
L series Lights that use common batteries
P series Powerful lights that use 3V CR123A batteries
E series Economical lights
T series Tactical lights coming soon.

The CR123A (123A=one 2/3 A size) are shorter but fatter battery than AAA. So a 1xCR123A light such as P1 CE is shorter but fatter. Because the batteries are double the voltage of the AAA the lights are also much brighter. Problem is they are usually expensive locally. Care should also be taken when using them. Most the exploding flashlights mentioned on CPF seem to be using 123A batteries (usually multiple 123A)

-----

BTW it is L-zero-D. Not L-oh-D.

Just a small correction: E0 gives more like 11 or 12 hours of regulated ourput on an alkaline cell, plus a tail of another 6 to 8 hours of dim light. It is one of the best regulations available...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a small correction: E0 gives more like 11 or 12 hours of regulated ourput on an alkaline cell, plus a tail of another 6 to 8 hours of dim light. It is one of the best regulations available...
Thanks. I have corrected to 9 hours as that is what FLR's runtime graph shows. The eye probably would not notice until the light level reaches 50% which as you mentioned is around 12 hours.