Old style KL1 to McR19 mod.

Ganp

Enlightened
IMG_1040copy.jpg

This old style KL1 head came to me after a failed modding attempt. There was no Led or optic, and the centre section
had been severely chewed up. It looked about the right size for an McR19 + Aleph LE mod.

I soon discovered two difficulties though. The overall length was a little too short, and the length of thread to fit to the body
was so short that it would not be able to accommodate an Aleph LE.

As the middle section needed to be replaced anyway, the new part could be made to solve both problems, by being longer,
and incorporating the head to body threads.

First the driver was removed from the rear section, and then the head to body threads were bored out.

IMG_1043.jpg

Next a new centre section was made. this was sized to separate the bezel and rear section by an extra 1.95 mm, so that an
McR19 and Aleph LE would fit OK. The back part of this section extends almost to the very back of the head and incorporates
the new head to body threads. This part and the bored out rear section will be bonded when finally screwed together.

IMG_1037copy.jpg

The three final components.

IMG_1036copy.jpg

After anodising it all fits together very nicely and does not look very different to the original KL1 head. These photo's show
it during trial assembly without the reflector and LE.

IMG_1034copy.jpg

IMG_1032copy.jpg

And finally on a CR2 twisty power pack for a nice compact EDC.

IMG_1048copy.jpg

In essence the replacement middle section is like an Aleph19 head with a KL1 rear section slid over the back, and a SF
bezel on the front.

This is definitely a once only mod. For the amount of work involved it would have been much easier to just make a complete
new head, but I like the style of the old KL1 and it seemed a shame to let it go to waste.

Colin.