LED technology, theory for purchase. Please post

LED tech, old or new

• A light thats going to be rugged and screw what led it has

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • A light thats going to be more efficient with power and be brighter for your battery

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • A light thats rugged and with a new led so you can show off

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • A light thats cheap with neither ruggedness or super efficiency, because your not sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could goto the store and buy a luxeon 1 watt, or maybe a 3 or 5 watt. Or you could buy a cree or rebel or etc etc. Different led's have been out for shorter or longer ammounts of time. What would you rather buy:

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED technology, theory for purchase.

I would rather have a light thats going to be more efficient with power and be brighter for your battery. i would take how sturdy the light is and if its going to last etc, but the led is a huge deal for me. I want ever photon i can get from my lights, because if im going to pay for a light, im not going to have something that i get less light and throw for my money. Its got to have a satisfactory ruggedness and be the most efficient and bright led i can afford. People buy lights so that they have light, why would you buy something that has less light?

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I want ruggedness AND the best emitter I can get, but NOT to show off. I actually USE my lights. Inova seriously needs to put a Rebel into the X1. It couldn't make it more than 5 bucks more, and I would be more than willing to pay 25 bucks for a Rebel X1. The reflector in the X1 is actually extremely nice and the fact that it can make a slight hotspot with that little domeless Lux PWT will make it have stellar beam quality with a Rebel. The X1 is rugged as hell and they have incorporated a new machining technique into it which gives it a sort of micro-knurling, which gives grip even when wet..

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have two basic needs for most of my use -

1) Something that's intensely bright with a decent amount of throw.
2) Something that won't break when I drop it.

That's it. I don't have any shelf queens; every flashlight that I buy has a use in mind, and it usually revolves around brightness and ruggedness. The only lights I've purchased recently that uses plain old 5mm LEDs are for longer runtime in emergency situations.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two basic needs for most of my use -

1) Something that's intensely bright with a decent amount of throw.
2) Something that won't break when I drop it.

That's it. I don't have any shelf queens; every flashlight that I buy has a use in mind, and it usually revolves around brightness and ruggedness. The only lights I've purchased recently that uses plain old 5mm LEDs are for longer runtime in emergency situations.

Pretty much similar to me, but i have all my other lights i replace on a shelf! I should either sell them or somethething, but i end up giving them away to family members usually. If people cant afford to buy a deacent light, and i have at least 3 good ones i want to keep, i will give the others away.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im thinking about getting a smooth P3D Q5 but im not sure just "how much" the difference in throw is? My Ultrafire C2 has nice throw, but not enough light. So thats why im wanting to know about the throw on the Smooth. Maybe i will make a thread.

So far i have given away: Inova XO, Inova X5, Ultrafire 3W, Nuwai 1W. Next give away is a Silverpoint Auro I and Ultrafire C2 :D, but i have to get another thrower before i ditch the C2

Gladius01

Enlightened
Pretty much similar to me, but i have all my other lights i replace on a shelf! I should either sell them or somethething, but i end up giving them away to family members usually. If people cant afford to buy a deacent light, and i have at least 3 good ones i want to keep, i will give the others away.

Techwg,
Very kind of you. That is good that you give your family members first which is closer to you. You done very good deed.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do try. And its more effort to sell a light than say "here i dont need this anymore, would you like it?"