Fenix L2D on turbo mode - How long?

Roger11

Newly Enlightened
I just bought this light to use on my bike. One thing I was unaware and disappointed is that Fenix warns against running it on turbo continuously for more than 10 minutes.

Has any one had any problems running it continuously for long periods? I typically need to run for 1/2 an hour.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I haven't hear of any problems.

I think the 10 minute limit is to prevent an idiot form hurting himself if he left the light on turbo in a small enclosed insulated area like a pocket of a down jacket. On your bike and in your hand, there is something removing the heat(the moving air or you hand) and preventing the heat from building up.

The light would be fine if you leave it on turbo for more then 10 minutes.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Hi!

If there were any problems, we would surely have read about them.
Its basically as Gunner wrote.

Here is a guy somewhere who uses these Lights on his bike, and found the airflow provided sufficient cooling.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a L2D RB100 in turbo mode for my frame mounted bike light. So far, after 3 months of use it has not had a problem. It is used for 35 minutes of constant use every morning 5 days per week. It runs cool since it has serious air flow blowing by it as I ride.

I have used a L1D CE as a helmet light for the past year and after many hours (days) of use, it still works fine without failure running in turbo mode. Both LxD series lights are fed with Powerex 2700mAH batteries with no problems.

AzN1337c0d3r

Banned
I've completely discharged a set of 2500 mAH Rayovac NiMH with my L2D Q5 on my desk in my room. Ambient temp is 85F. So I don't think there'll be any issues with it overheating.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere recently that a PxD had been run Turbo for 180 hours (yes hours, not lumens) on the bench OK, one of the fenix websites I think.

I even think a Fenix dealer stated similar recently on CPF, can't find it at the moment.

Found the article...

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...t.pdf+fenix+p3d+heat&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=uk

"Excellent durability and quality
Fenix products do not overdrive LEDs, this assures that the LED will last its
rated lifetime of 100,000 hours! Fenix lights implement effective and efficient
heatsinks to protect the LED from overheating while keeping the LED efficient
with its power consumption. During testing stages Fenix P3D CE was running
180 hours on turbo mode and still did not damage the LED! "

Last edited:

hburner

Enlightened
I too have discharged my Rebel version P2D while working on my truck as it tailstood on the cement drive. I did not have any problems but it was warm when I went to put in a fresh set of batts.

I have also did the same thing with my L2D Q2 w/ no issues.:D

Enlightened
And if you read the actual warning, it says "in high ambient temperatures." Basically it's to prevent you from killing the LED when it's hot out and the light can't dissipate sufficient heat.

hburner

Enlightened
Yea, that is how I took it also.:D

And if you read the actual warning, it says "in high ambient temperatures." Basically it's to prevent you from killing the LED when it's hot out and the light can't dissipate sufficient heat.

Yps

Newly Enlightened
How long runtime is possible to get before changing batteries with the L2D in turbomode?
What batteries is recommended ?
I got the P3D Rebel 100 with 2xR123 from AW, and it´s only possible to get it to run for 57 minutes.

/Magnus

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long runtime is possible to get before changing batteries with the L2D in turbomode?
What batteries is recommended ?
I got the P3D Rebel 100 with 2xR123 from AW, and it´s only possible to get it to run for 57 minutes.

/Magnus

The best batteries for the L2D is NiMH rechargables. Under test, two Duracell 2650mAH NiMH cells gave 2 hours and 28 minutes of runtime. I use Powerex 2700mAH cells with 2+ hours of runtime on turbo with no problems.

If you wonder why, two RCR123A cells come out to 7.2V 550mAH actual. This calculates out to about 4 watt hours while 2650/2700 NiMH is 6.4 watt hours.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
P3D CE tested to 180 hours on turbo.

From my previous post this thread

Found the article...

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...t.pdf+fenix+p3d+heat&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=uk

"Excellent durability and quality
Fenix products do not overdrive LEDs, this assures that the LED will last its
rated lifetime of 100,000 hours! Fenix lights implement effective and efficient
heatsinks to protect the LED from overheating while keeping the LED efficient
with its power consumption. During testing stages Fenix P3D CE was running
180 hours on turbo mode
and still did not damage the LED! "

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought you were not supposed to use NiMh rechargeables, i read that somewhere, that good news since i have two extra energizer 2200's, Man i wish my L2D RB100 came in today

Enlightened
I thought you were not supposed to use NiMh rechargeables, i read that somewhere, that good news since i have two extra energizer 2200's, Man i wish my L2D RB100 came in today

*blink* Where in the world did you get that? You SHOULD be using rechargeables. They're going to give you twice the battey life compared to an Alkaline cell.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
the energizers rechargeable 2200's are 1.2 volts, so x 2 that .6 less volts that 2 alkys, does less volts mean less lumens? Am i nitpicking,? Or should i just continue to enjoy my light like i am doing right now :),,,,You want to hear something sick....After seeing fenix lights here for a long time i finally decided that its time i should buy one, that night i had a dream that i was using that light so i ordered it and got it today. This really disturbs me, why couldnt i have a dream of me opening a tonneau cover on my truck, that i was thinking about buying.

Enlightened
the energizers rechargeable 2200's are 1.2 volts, so x 2 that .6 less volts that 2 alkys, does less volts mean less lumens? Am i nitpicking,? Or should i just continue to enjoy my light like i am doing right now :),,,,You want to hear something sick....After seeing fenix lights here for a long time i finally decided that its time i should buy one, that night i had a dream that i was using that light so i ordered it and got it today. This really disturbs me, why couldnt i have a dream of me opening a tonneau cover on my truck, that i was thinking about buying.

Depend on the light really. Alkaline cells can not handle any significant current discharge without giving up a significant portion of their capacity. As their capacity is used up, their voltage drops. NiMH batteries have a lower initial voltage, but they stand up to high current drains much better and their voltage does not drop as much. They both end up at about the same point where they are considered mostly dead (about .8-.9v generally) but alkalines will generally reach that point much quicker in a high drain device like a light (or camera), the rechargeable holds it's voltage much better and is able to provide almost all of it's capacity.

As far as brightness goes, Fenix lights are digitally regulated so that the current going to the LED remains the same regardless of voltage down to a point where the circuit can't keep it going any more. So a Fenix will give you the same brightness whichever battery type you choose. The rechargeable will just give you that brightness for a longer time. Now in an unregulated light then the rechargeable most likely will give you a lower initial brightness, but it will still generally maintain that brightness for a longer period of time. What this means is that if you had two idential unregulated LED lights, the alkaline powered one would start out brighter but would soon drop below the brightness level of the rechargeable powered light and if you took the average output the rechargeable would almost certainly win hands down.

To put it into perspective, look at some of the runtime charts people have posted of various regulated lights. I believe the one posted of the Princeton Tec Apex headlamp (I remember it b/c I studied it before buying mine) showed that Alkalines gave a runtime of something like an hour and 1/24 until the batteries could no longer provide enough voltage for the regulation circuit to work properly. Rechargeables topped out somewhere around the 3 1/2 hour mark as I recall (or maybe it was over 4, I don't remember for sure now). The chart is in the headlamp forum if you want to search for it, just look for Apex runtime I think.