P3D or L2D? (prev. DBS and a P3D Q5, or the T1 for both?)

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to know if the Dereelight DBS Q5, LumaPower MRV Q5, or Tiablo A9 throws the best (I understand that all are about equally regulated).
Most people seem to say either that they're equal, or the Dereelight is the best. However, in the only beamshots I've seen of the MRV Q5 it easily outperformed the other two.

Anybody have all three? Or two of the three? Please help me...

x2x3x2

Banned
Re: Dereelight, LumaPower, or Tiablo???

Currently the Dereelight Q5 is tops.

JKL

Enlightened

I've received my DBS Q5 yesterday....
IMHO actualy is the best thrower at the moment.:cool:

aVrzTTJ-58c963e496c0f00207d6640f8b2b54f8.jpg

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only have two MRV & two Tiablo lights out of these three. But from what's reported it's clear that the DBS has higher throw numbers than the others. It's also true that the DBS is bigger and heavier than the other lights. The DBS also has a smaller area of spill light. But if throw capability is the most important for you, the DBS would be the choice.
Stefan

Patriot

Flashaholic

I only own two MRV's but I've read and viewed pics of many reviews from some great sources here at CPF. Member, StefanFS is a bit of a LED throw guru and very knowledgeable. If he's saying that the DBS is the top thrower, you can bet that it is. Though I like my MRV's they're no match to the DBS with regards to throw.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

The DBS has been reported to out throw the competition even when using Dereelight's "older" modules. I say "older" because some were just made available around a month ago, but have already been tweaked due to customer feedback. Now there is a 2-stage digital Q5 that is running the Q5 at 1.2A! This will put the DBS even farther ahead of the competition, and it's excellent heat sinking should make it okay to run the Q5 at 1.2A. For those that arent' aware the Q5 is mounted on a brass heat sink which also contains the circuitry, and that is screwed into the large aluminum reflector. The reflector and attached pill drop into the head of the flashlight where the reflector makes contact with the aluminum body. So there is a lot of brass and aluminum to wick the heat away.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks everyone!

The DBS is less than 10 mm longer, and weight isn't a concern of mine, so I'm ok with that.

JKL - what's "IMHO?"

Since the DBS seems to be the best, what batteries does it take? What does it run best on? (regulated well too)

JKL

Enlightened

Thanks everyone!

JKL - what's "IMHO?"

Since the DBS seems to be the best, what batteries does it take? What does it run best on? (regulated well too)

[SIZE=-1]IMHO:[/SIZE] is acronym of the expression [SIZE=-1]"In My Humble Opinion / In My Honest Opinion"
[/SIZE]
The use of batteries depends by the module choice wich is available in three Cree XR-E Modules
:
  1. 2SM(2-stage mutipower) Cree XR-E Q5 module (LED current:Low 120ma, High 1A)
  2. 1S(1-Stage) Cree XR-E Q5 module, 1A constant output
  3. 2SD(2-Stage digital) Cree XR-E Q5 module, constant current output, 100%(1A)-->15%(15ma)
Batteries:
  1. 2SM(2-stage mutipower) module: 1x18650, 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123.
  2. 1S(1-Stage) module: 1x 18650.
  3. 2SD(2-Stage digital) module: 1x 18650.
For details view:
cpfmarketplace
www.dereelight.com

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

lol, sorry, thought IMHO was some sort of flashlight...

thanks for the info :grin2:

if anybody else is reading this, I'd still appreciate more opinions, so don't hesitate to post!

cmichael

Newly Enlightened

I only have two MRV & two Tiablo lights out of these three. But from what's reported it's clear that the DBS has higher throw numbers than the others. It's also true that the DBS is bigger and heavier than the other lights. The DBS also has a smaller area of spill light. But if throw capability is the most important for you, the DBS would be the choice.
Stefan

That is the reason why I still like my Tiablo A9, because got a bigger area of spill, Unless DBS have brighter spill area than Tiablo.

Zenster

Enlightened

Now there is a 2-stage digital Q5 that is running the Q5 at 1.2A! This will put the DBS even farther ahead of the competition, and it's excellent heat sinking should make it okay to run the Q5 at 1.2A.

Perhaps I missed a reference somewhere, but are you saying that the 2-stage digital DBS drives at 1.2Amp but the 2-stage manual doesn't?

I was under the impression that all three of the DBS variations put out the same power, and that the only difference was how the modes are selected.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps I missed a reference somewhere, but are you saying that the 2-stage digital DBS drives at 1.2Amp but the 2-stage manual doesn't?

I was under the impression that all three of the DBS variations put out the same power, and that the only difference was how the modes are selected.

Supposedly the 2-stage digital is the brightest of the pills. It boosts the voltage to make sure the Q5 is powered properly, where the other modules will only perform well when the batteries deliver enough voltage to the Q5 for it to run at 1A. So if you put in a 18650 and the Q5 at 1A has a Vf of 4V or more, the 18650 may not be able to provide that much voltage at that current level, so the Q5 won't pull as much current, and as the voltage of the 18650 falls it will draw less and less, as I understand it.

If you run 2xCR123's, 2XCR123's it should run at 1A as long as the battery voltage enough to provide the Q5 what it need. I'm not an expert here, so I'm describing this the best can from what I've put together from the experts around here. :)

When I get my 2SD I can compare it with my 2SM, and 3-stage Q5. Alan said the 2SD Q5 was the brightest pill so far, we'll see.

I'm actually not sure if the 2SD delivers more than 1A to the emitter, but Alan provided me with these figures as far as the current being drawn from the battery, with an 18650:

3.0V--->2.0A
3.6V--->1.5A
4.0V--->1.2A

As the battery's voltage drops, the circuit pulls more current so it can keep powering the Q5 with the voltage it needs to keep running at 1A, and keeping the level as constant as possible until the battery is exhausted.

daveman

Enlightened

The DBS is the farthest throwing LED light at the moment, although, as others have pointed out, its reflector is slightly larger (wider, longer) than the other two's already very large heads. I personally prefer the Tiablo A9 because of its higher grade aluminum, but the DBS does throw farther at the moment.

Zenster

Enlightened

I'm actually not sure if the 2SD delivers more than 1A to the emitter, but Alan provided me with these figures as far as the current being drawn from the battery, with an 18650:

3.0V--->2.0A
3.6V--->1.5A
4.0V--->1.2A

As the battery's voltage drops, the circuit pulls more current so it can keep powering the Q5 with the voltage it needs to keep running at 1A, and keeping the level as constant as possible until the battery is exhausted.

Well, I'm confused now, because according to what battery each of the models can use:

Battery:
  1. 2SM(2-stage mutipower) module: 1x18650, 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123.
  2. 1S(1-Stage) module: 1x 18650.
  3. 2SD(2-Stage digital) module: 1x 18650.
... you would think that it would be the 2SD that would work best with 2xCR123A's because they would offer the highest voltage and runtime over the comparatively lethargic 3.7v 18650.

If the 2SD pulls higher voltage, you would think that the best batteries for it would be 2xCR123A.
In the scenario you describe above, it's the 2SD that would pull the 18650 down to an unuseable voltage level more quickly, so you would think that the very best batteries to use in the 2SD would be the 2xCR123's.
Yet, the above suggests that you can only use the 18650 in the 2SD.

I'm about to order a DBS today, and I lean toward the 2SM specifically because it has more battery options (18650 for normal use but 2XCR123's as backup for when the house goes dark for days and recharging isn't possible).
So I'd like to get a mental handle around this before I order, and based on the other specs given for the three versions of the DBS, they state that all three of them pull 1amp as their "high" level.

At the same time, I do wonder why all three of the DBS lights can't use all of the same battery options.
I guess I need to wade through the zillion post thread to find a better answer.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

The DBS is the farthest throwing LED light at the moment, although, as others have pointed out, its reflector is slightly larger (wider, longer) than the other two's already very large heads. I personally prefer the Tiablo A9 because of its higher grade aluminum, but the DBS does throw farther at the moment.
hmm... I've heard a lot of people saying Dereelight is one of the best quality lights out there, some people even comparing it to Surefire. you think Tiablo is higher quality? (Im just asking... I thought they were the same)

Zenster

Enlightened

hmm... I've heard a lot of people saying Dereelight is one of the best quality lights out there, some people even comparing it to Surefire. you think Tiablo is higher quality? (Im just asking... I thought they were the same)

I'm very impressed with the quality of my Tiablo A9s, but I'm skeptical if the build quality of the others in it's class is any better (or worse for that matter).
They're all made in China, and while I can't say with any certain knowledge, I'd be willing to bet that only one or two factories over there make the various parts for the many different companies that contract with them to do so.

As I say, I already have the Tiablo, and I'm going to order a DBS before tonight, and I've already decided to get an MRV-SE when they become available again.
Once I get the MRV-SE (days?.. weeks?.. whenever off of backorder), I'll come back and do a review comparing the three together for anyone interested.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the 2SD pulls higher voltage, you would think that the best batteries for it would be 2xCR123A.

I never said anything about the 2SD pulling higher voltage, I said it pulls higher current as the 18650's voltage drop. The 2SD boosts the voltage from the 18650 to deliver the proper voltage to the Q5, and it does this by pulling more current as the 18650's voltage drops. 2xC123A's would damage the circuit as it is designed for 18650's. Also, as far as I know, the best performance comes from the 18650's. I'd have to see updated runtime charts, but I don't think the 2-state multi power has the same flat regulation when using CR123's, and the output will probably steadily drop. The 2SD with an 18650 not only starts brighter than the 2-stage multi-power, but continues with a very flat output until the battery is exhausted.

If you plan to use 18650's the digital module is the way to go, as the other modules with Q5's won't perform well with the 18650's as the voltage from the 18650 may not fully power the Q5, and you would have to use 2xCR123's or 2xRCR123's to get the most of ouf that pill. I just have both pills, so in an emergancy I can use CR123s' if I have to, but I normally use 18650's so I went with the older 3-stage digital, and now have a 2-stage digital on the way. I think Alan told me the 2-stage digital was delivering 1.2A to the emitter, but I will have to double check since he stated 1A on his for sale topic.

Someone could probably provide more information about 18650's vs. 2xCR123's as far as run time, etc. It was my understanding that 18650's had the most energy when compared with 2xCR123's and 2xRCR123's.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was my understanding that 18650's had the most energy when compared with 2xCR123's and 2xRCR123's.

Seems the same to me too... and they naturally have pretty flat output.
However: I don't know if its just specific circuits (like Fenix's, but that's not designed for it anyway...), but sometimes they can't do low emissions for long periods of time - charts show low mode at 5x as bright as with other cells, and lasting only slightly longer, or even just as long as, high mode. I hope the DBS 2SD doesn't have Fenix's problem w/ 18650s...

Last edited: