What do you think is the best AAA (1 or 2 cell) with hi-power LEDs?

Newuser01

Enlightened
Hello, CPF!

So the question is which light would you recommend for a casual user with AAA cells. Run very bright with NIMH batteries. Cost should be under 20 US.

More lumens is better:p.

Please give some suggestions.

Regards
Noob

bessiebenny

Enlightened
For now, that KD AAA Buckle light is probably the brightest and the best you'll find under $20.
It has a great floody characteristic to the light which is quite useful for such a small light.
It's in my review also so have a look also for some extra comments. =)

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Gunner 12 and bessiebenny... the Kaidomain buckle light is about the brightest you're going to find in a single-cell AAA format. The only thing that's close is the Fenix LOD-CE or Rebel, but thery're $40+.

The LOD-CE has a bit more throw, but the buckle light has a much nicer beam for the type of use a pocket light sees. It still has decent throw, too.

My opinions are based on having the following AAA lights:

Ultrafire B3 --- Not bad considering it's $10. Not super bright, but has a tight hotspot.... good throw
3 Fenix LOD-CE's --- With a 10440 lithium cell, it's the brightest by far
LiteFlux LF2 --- My favorite overall, should be nominated Light of the Year
Ultrafire 602C SSC
Huntlight AAA SSC

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire B3 --- Not bad considering it's $10. Not super bright, but has a tight hotspot.... good throw
3 Fenix LOD-CE's --- With a 10440 lithium cell, it's the brightest by far
LiteFlux LF2 --- My favorite overall, should be nominated Light of the Year
Ultrafire 602C SSC
Huntlight AAA SSC

B3 with Rebel is fantastic, but not under $20.

Isn't the 602C SSC pretty bright? Doesn't it run the emitter at ~350mA?

sino

Newly Enlightened
B3 with Rebel is fantastic, but not under $20.

Isn't the 602C SSC pretty bright? Doesn't it run the emitter at ~350mA?

In a separate thread, some people said the 602C (SSC and Luxeon) had some problems accepting various brands of batteries, and might also not work correctly with underpowered voltage. I don't know if Ultrafire has corrected these things or not. I'm also interested in the SSC version, but I'll probably order the KD AAA first.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a separate thread, some people said the 602C (SSC and Luxeon) had some problems accepting various brands of batteries, and might also not work correctly with underpowered voltage. I don't know if Ultrafire has corrected these things or not. I'm also interested in the SSC version, but I'll probably order the KD AAA first.
If you ars handy, flashcrazy's fix seems fairly straightforward.

A lot of batteries fit woithout the mod.

Me:
The following batteries work
Ultrafire 10440 3.6V
RayOvac Hybrid
RayOvac 15 minute 850 mAH
Duracell coppertop alkaline
Dorcy Mastercell alkaline
Pure Energy rechargeable alkaline

The following batteries are iffy
Duracell 900 mAH does not normally work but I got the light to turn on by cranking the light really hard - I do not recommend this.

The following batteries do NOT work
Eneloop
Shoshone 900 mAH
Duracell 1000 mAH
Pure Energy XL digital
EDIT Energizer e2 lithium

LukeA:
Work: Energizer Rechargeables

Iffy: LaCrosse AAA rechargeables.

fatts:
Batteries which I have and work:
GP 1000mAH NiMH
Ikea Alkaline

YMMV

I have not seen many posts about the Ultrafire <1.2V startup problem lately.
Ernsanada (who did the 602c SSC review) seems to have a bad one. His was intermittant even on 1.5V alkalines.

Another CPF member got one without the o-ring resulting in a loose head.

afahmic

Newly Enlightened
Is there any multi level single AAA that is constant current regulated (not PWM) like Fenix L1D?

Bunk3r

Newly Enlightened
there is this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8219
$24.50 stainless steel Cree 2 Mode. I have one and love it, I have a couple of the Kai ones that i have bought as gifts also, so would recommended either one (the stainless (IMO) is worth the extra (i prefer the looks and robustness of the finish), but the kai is a bargain and within your budget!).

Newuser01

Enlightened
Looks like I'll be getting KD 1AAA Seoul. And thanks everyone for the replies.....

There are some of the best info collected in one place. I would thank each and everyone of you if not for clogging up this post!

Final question for those who have this KD 1AAA Seoul and Jetbeam 1AA light. How do they compare as far as brightness and throw. Disregarding the runtime/levels etc.

I know that you are comparing different lights but I like to replace my Jetbeam as my EDC. Which will make it keyring friendly.

Please reply soon as KD will have this light soon and I like to get it before Christmas rush!! May be one more for the old lady who has 1AA Chinese clone on her key chain.

Regards.
Happy lighting!:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any multi level single AAA that is constant current regulated (not PWM) like Fenix L1D?

The liteflux LF2 uses PWM but the rate is so high you can't see it. My eyes are super sensitive to PWM, but I can't see it on the LF2. I had a L0D but had to get rid of it because the PWM.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Jetbeam will have more throw due to the bigger reflector. Depending n which Jetbeam you are talking about, I think brightness would be pretty comparable.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Final question for those who have this KD 1AAA Seoul and Jetbeam 1AA light. How do they compare as far as brightness and throw. Disregarding the runtime/levels etc.

No idea about Jetbeam. But I can say that KD AAA isn't a thrower.
It is very floody with a wide spill and no real defined center hotspot.
See my review in my sig for some photos to compare to other lights.