Affordable High-Amp Special Order Carley PR bulbs

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
LampGirl24 answered my question about how to get more than 1.0 A service out of a Carley T-2 1/2 or T-1 1/2 bulb in a PR application. (The Carley # 912 PR socket adapter is for only T-2 1/2 or T-2 1/4 bulbs and only for Amperage of up to 1.0.)

Patty advised me that it only costs between $0.25 and $0.50 per lamp for minimum orders of 5 lamps to special order higher amperage lamps potted into PR bases with a ceramic potting.

For example:

The Carley 3.5V 2.3A 8W Halogen T-1 1/2 #1122 rated at 136L = 11 CP can be driven by 3 rechargeable cells in a Mag 3C or 3D. (Note: the #1122 bulb is also what I'm inclined to mod as a replacement in the LA for my 110 L 8X when it finally blows. SF seems disinclined to introduce a HOLA for the 8 series.)

The Carley 6.0V 1.7A 10.2 W Halogen T-2 1/2 #851 rated at 247 L = 20 CP can be driven by a Mag Charger pack in a Mag 3C or 3D. (5 rechargeable C or D cells could be used in a longer body.) This is 35% brighter than the 5-cell Krypton Star of the same voltage and amperage.

The Carley 4.8 V 1.60 A 7.7 W Xenon T-2 1/2 Lamp #807 is rated at = 166 L = 13.4 CP. This could go into a 4 cell Mag with rechargeables.

I'm going to special order each of these configurations and see which reflectors melt and which don't .

(What the heck: I have extra Mag reflectors and PT40 replacement reflectors cost only $2.50 @ at Bright Guy.)

ake

Newly Enlightened
lemlux, can I jam in? If so let me know and i will send a check to you. Wanna try it on my tec40 as well.

snake

Enlightened
Hello Lemlux,
I agree that mag could be more heat resistant then a DB, as heat can easier divert to the Al case and you can change the cover to glass as well. also mag can stuff bigger battery in it, even a 2D could carry 8AA in it like a surge.. Problem is I could only got PR base bulb with low Amp.. now you got the solution!

Awaiting for you result.
Good luck!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
ake:

The only minimum at Carley is for 5 bulbs or so if you want them potted. Would you be able to select five bulbs you wanted potted?

If not, I could help you. I think that a large group buy to reach a five potted bulb miminmum is unneccessarily complicated.

Otherwise, you could buy one regular bulb there.

Snake:

I do intend to buy some glass Mag lenses from Bright Guy. (I'm still hoping that Klaus will be able to get arrange the 3" NR coated Pyrex lenses made for the 3" SF Turbohead.)

I also expect to follow through on putting aluminum reflectors in some higher wattage DBs. Next week I should have some W/A lamps to test from Klaus.

ake

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks, lemlux. Does it have to be the same bulb for 5 or it could be a combination of any bulb that total to 5?

If the latter, could you recemmend me a good choice for:

1. tec40
2. DB 6AA
3. DB 8AA
4. 2 Cells flashlight
5. 5 and 6 cells flashlight (for my up coming PCa with NiMh
6. Anything for a MiniMag (AA)? I don't know what type of socket the bulb has.

Really appreciate your help.

Ake

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux. I would be interested in bulbs for:
2 cell Mag
3 cell Mag
6AA Dbl Brl
Mini-Mag
They are all pi** poor in output as stock units.
TIA, Dana

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just from talking to lemlux I just want you all to be aware that in order to get high output from most of these lights, you will have to run rechargables. These high amperage bulbs pull so much that alkalines just cannot keep up... You probably all know that anyway though.
rolleyes.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ake:

It didn't occur to me to ask Patty if the 5 bulbs all had to be the same or not. I will do that when I next talk to her. It seems that the potting operation takes place on bi-pin bulbs pulled out of stock so I wouldn't think mix and match would be a problem unless a mechanical engraving process is included. (I also want to ask how the bulb V and A will be identifiable.)

Re your questions # 1 thru 6:

1. tec40 -- I don't know if the nipples on the Carley bulbs extend out far enough to threaten the Tec40 lens. This is the problem with at least some standard Halogen bulbs. I'll probably stay with overdriving a 3.85V 1.2 V 3-cell KPR. Overdriven Kryptons are white and seem to last. Overdriven Xenons and Halogens tend to blow. The tec40 won't handle these 1.6V synthetic PR bulbs.

2. & 3. The DB6AA and DB 8AA take direct plug-in W/A T-2 1/4 and Carley T-2 1/2 bulbs. Links elsewhere on CPF take you to the websites where you can mix and match. The PR base is not applicable to them.

4. 2 cell flashlights. I'm doubt it's worth the additional cost for a synthetic bulb here. Carley makes a 2.4V 1.2 A Xenon T-1 1/2 bulb rated at 3.5 CP that puts out 43 L. this compares to their standard Krypton star rated at 2.5V 1.3 A and 3.3 CP = 41 L. Available Lumen output really increases with the third cell.

5. 5 and 6 cell. Last time I checked the Ikelite PCa thread, we hadn't determined whether or not the reflector is aluminum or plastic. I have no idea what the light will take, but I suspect that it may take the Carley # 928 T-1 1/2 halogen rated at 7.1 V 1.2 A 8.5 W 16 CP = 198 L. This is what I intend to put in my Mag 2D with two of my 3AA battery packs. Currently, I'm overdriving a 5-cell Krypton Star rated at 6.0 V 1.7 A and 14.5 CP = 179 L. The overdriven Krypton star is probably somewhat brighter, but I'll opt for the longer run time. The 247 L 1.7 A 5-cell bulb I mentioned in the first post in this thread is quite attactive for a 5-cell mag. If I could find an aluminum reflector that fits the Mag (I haven't) I'd try a potted carley # 852 Halogen T-2 1/2 bulb rated at 6.0 V 3.3 A 40 CP = 495 L

6. Minimag -- In another thread I mentioned that you can get 28 L with a 2.4 V 1.2 A W/A # 01121 bulb priced at $4.69.

Phred: I think bulbs addressing your preferences are discussed in this thread. Other threads cover the W/A bulbs for DB8AA and DB6AA in more detail. I believe that AKE volunteered to organize all group purchase requests for W/A bulbs. I intend to reship to Klaus, Bushman, and Ake. Ake, in turn, can handle the orders for all others once they decide what they want. (Notice that Mr. Bulk is already burned out from organizing the minimag tail cap purchase.)

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
... The Carley 3.5V 2.3A 8W Halogen T-1 1/2 #1122 rated at 136L = 11 CP can be driven by 3 rechargeable cells in a Mag 3C or 3D. (Note: the #1122 bulb is also what I'm inclined to mod as a replacement in the LA for my 110 L 8X when it finally blows. ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lemlux, that's a *brilliant* idea !!
It never occurred to me that we (well, you actually !) could make a HOLA for the 8-series.

I'd like to come in on some other lamps too, but that is a great idea.
There could be a problem with accurate filament placement though. And for the amount of work involved, an increase from 110 Lu to 136 Lu would be a relatively small improvement. The SF proposed HOLA was to be 200 Lu, according to the rumours.

Like yourself, I don't believe that SF will ever release that.

What are your thoughts on a higher specification lamp to try for ?

lightlover

snake

Enlightened
hello Lemlux,
I missed your post...
maglite use C or D battery but NiMH or Nicad offer low voltage.. so High Amp PR bulb seems to be the solution..still heat is our greatest enermy...

for AA and A used in DB I found Li-ion battery on the street
web page
for A size CGR17500, it offer 3.7V and 830mAh, for 4/3A size CGR17670HC it offer 3.7V 1250mAh,from the data sheet 1A drain seems no problem, that 4/3A offer same power as CR123 but double the size!

sounds great to power the DB, but still heat is a great problem,and I still can't remove the reflector.. too bad... may be just use the 4/3A Li-ion to power a E1 bulb in a E2 ..

any advice?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snake:

Those Lithium Ion batteries will only be sold to parties with competence in building control circuits for protecting the batteries. It still sounds scary to me for high drain applications.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in getting some bulbs as well.

1) Mag 3D
2) Mag 4C
3) Mag 6D
4) DB 8AA (original wiring)
5) DB 4AA (original wiring)
6) Legend LX

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to know a replacement bulb for the PT Surge when using nimh AA's that can give the same or better brightness as the stock bulb using fresh alkalines.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geepondy:

I'd like to know the answer to your question also. I still don't know where to buy T-1 3/4 bulbs, let alone the base to filament dimension on the Surge bulb.

snake

Enlightened
Thanks lemlux,
Oh! IC why handphone need power management circuit! Thus Li-ion usually used in complicated device, they need to be protected..

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also interested getting some bulbs for:
3C Mag
5D Mag
Legend LX
Energizer Arc White
2 AA mini mag
Tec 40

Where can I find out what the different bulb options for these lights are and how much they cost?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL @ Chris,

so you really want the easy way ? Its all answered **somewhere** in the CPF archives you can access using the search function.

Answering your question into every detail would need quite some effort - let me give you some shortcut advice and again the proposal to try a search - this topic was covered quite a lot already on the forum and shouldn´t be too hard to track down.

Tec40 - for 4NiMhs use a 3 cell bulb - for alkalines the stock bulb is drawing enough already - using Lithium AAs you might try to use a HPR50 or other 4D type bulbs. Be careful with the tip of especially the halogens burning a hole in your lens.

Minimag AA - the Brinkmann Nexstar Xenon is just the perfect upgrade bulb IMO.

3C mag - use a 713 carley or a HPR53 Halogen or HPX30 Xenon or XPR103 - for higher power any of the specialty high-power bulbs from Carley or PR-base potted 2 1/2 bulbs like lemlux was working on with WA

5D mag - HPR40 Halogen or HPX50 Xenon or 715 Carley or XPR806 or for higher-power bulbs see above

Legend LX - no real idea on that - I think there was some Legend LX / SF P61 mod lately from Aragorn - not shure though.

Energizer Arc White - I think this is a 4AA / PR-base type so same answer as Tec40.

Klaus

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
grin.gif
Thanks, Klaus.
The biggest problem I have with searching on here is that I almost always get side tracked from what I was originally looking for by something else bright and sparkly that catches my eye then I loose all track of time and never end up getting my original question answered.
tongue.gif

So, I appreciate you summing it up for me.