Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I am going to wait until they release a Clickie version of the Tr/Tw models

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • I am going to buy the Twisty now and buy a Clickie tailcap if/when released

Votes: 16 22.5%

• Total voters

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just trying to gauge people's preferences. The announcement of the HDS twisty has not generated as much discussion as I thought it would and I am wonderig if it is beacuse it is a twisty.

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a clicky person, for quick one-handed deployment. But unless HDS comes out with something that is a quantum leap up from the Novatac 120P - which I suspect is unlikely - I'll be sticking with the Novatac.

djblank87

Enlightened
I was just trying to gauge people's preference as to which they would prefer. The announcement of the HDS twisty has not generated as much discussion as I thought it would and I am wonderig if it is beacuse it is a twisty.

I too was wondering why there hasn't been an up roar about the light. I prefer a clicky hands down. The Twisty aspect is not appealing at all, to me at least.

Tactical lights should always have a clicky not a twist head or tail end to change settings, waste of time in my opinion, works for some just not me.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than soldering wires from the battery terminals to the board/LED, nothing beats the shear reliability of a twisty. While the twisty UI is not my personal favorite, I still buy (and use!) twisties. Go figure!!??

Karl

amphipolis

Newly Enlightened
Tactical lights should always have a clicky not a twist head or tail end to change settings, waste of time in my opinion, works for some just not me.

I know the HDS pedigree as tactical use in mind, but is the latest revision being billed as a "tactical" light?

djblank87

Enlightened
I know the HDS pedigree as tactical use in mind, but is the latest revision being billed as a "tactical" light?

I do not see tactical listed anywhere in the add on battery station. If they do want to sell it as a tactical light they need to get rid of the stainless steel color bezel.

It's a dead give away of reflection for ambiant light to hit when your trying not to be seen.

http://www.batterystation.com/hds-edcflashlights.htm

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will purchase the 100 lumen twisty when they become available. I like the clicky tail caps on my Novatac's, but I also like the idea that the twisty has less points for a possible (albeit unlikely) failure or water intrusion. I also think that the levels are very well spaced out and all very useful.

I have been pocketing my 120T alot and it only has 3 levels (120, 10, .03) and its levels are not adjustable either. I do think that the levels are specified better on the HDS than on the Novatac for a 3 level light.

I will also purchase the HDS headlamp when it comes out and a clicky from them as well.

I think that the excitement on this light will grow after it has a chance to showcase its talents in actual use. I also have a feeling that it will look better in person than it does in the photographs that I have seen to date. The reason I think this is that you can't necessarily see the quality in the pictures but when you grab onto the light and use it, your eyes and your other senses work together to shape your perception of the lights appearance.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I could not wait for the new hds line to come out. I keep saying to myself that they would be very similar to the novatac but some how better.Then i see this light and I'm like what the heck is this.am i going to buy one? yes already did do i pray that the rest of the hds line looks and acts like we are used to yes please yes!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It is refreshing to see a great KISS interface on such a light instead of the useless multi-click stuff. About time the pendulum swings back.
I'll get the twisty I think. No ... I am sure.
bernie

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twisty is fine by me. Not sure why HDS couldn't have included a momentary-on option though. No clicky, just momentary.

Can't quite decide whether I love the new HDS or hate it. Or which model I would get :confused:

Regards,
Tempest

txmatt

Enlightened
Love the simple approach with multiple levels. A 2xAA tube will be icing on the cake, making it almost unique for a light in the class . In a few years when the light is surpassed by brighter and more efficient lights and I give it away to someone like my dad, I don't want to have to give instructions on how to use a programmable, clickie light (press vs half press, how to (or not to) get into programming mode, etc).

It's refreshing to see a different approach in high-end lights (twisty and AA capability). There's plenty of tactical lights for those who expect to break down doors or gun mount a light with a stealthy black bezel or have to signal to their extraction team.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
I think waiting is the best option for me. Hope he get a programm out with several options. A twistie is not what I want. For an EDC light I want a one hand operation.

luminata

Enlightened
I think Henry stated in the other thread that you will be able to operate the light with one hand. It seems like the light is very well made and if the threads are done well you should be able to do this.

The introduction of this light and the so far lackluster response from CPF really makes it apparent to me where the flashlight world has gone. I myself am actually salivating at the prospect of getting this light. I want a light that is comparable to a Glock firearm. when you pull that trigger you know it is going to go bang.
I am tired of all the wizz bang super gadget gizmo lights out there now. Every one has a drawback and seems either tempermental or flawed. either you have to clean it ,tighten it,jiggle it or do some kind of ritual over it once a week/month to ensure it will continue working.
I actually kind of regret pre-ordering the Nitecore after falling prey to all the hype. Now I see it is quite complicated to operate and I will have to learn a new dance to operate it. But it will prbably be fun to play with.
I look forward to getting/carrying the HDS twisty

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be too early to say, but I have a feeling that if Henry has designed the Twisty, there is a solid reason for this. This Twisty might be one of the most intuitive ones till date. Let's see when they start shipping.

It will be too early to form an opinion even before looking at how it feels.

cerbie

Enlightened
I think waiting is the best option for me. Hope he get a programm out with several options. A twistie is not what I want. For an EDC light I want a one hand operation.
How is it not one-handed? Looks to me like you grip the rear near the butt of your hand, and then you'll have two fingers and your thumb to twist it.

Luminata: see McGizmo stuff, the Titan, and new Arc...and : ) >'s post. Not talking about products coming up, and having previous products that didn't make it (probably why it's this way) has not helped HDS' image. I think a little hype would have helped.

Putting out some actual new products will probably smooth things over. I have no plans to get this, but it's certainly different, useful (red low on one!), and will probably sell pretty well.

Just as much as there are folks going for bells and whistles, folks are tiring of bells and whistles. When you Fenix, Jetbeam, DX, whatever fails you in a power outtage, well...that dim twisty with only three levels and not one over 150 lumens doesn't look so bad. It's +$100 for a design that will work every single time (and by the looks of it, take a small bullet for you, too).

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
I am waiting for the Henry to finish the programmable clickie. I have a B42XR that I think is an excellent light and has not given me any reason to question it's reliability and would think the new one would be just as good. I just hope it will not take too long to come to market. The Novatac would be just fine with me but I want to see what Henry has to offer as I can really only afford one. I think somewhere in his writings Henry stated that he wanted to offer some differentiation in his products and by offering something like the Twisty it makes me very curious what is in the pipeline.

Alex

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a fine light to me. One you could drive a truck over an still it would work. We have plenty of modders who will come up with different bezels etc. Lets give it a shot first!

alex in germany

Newly Enlightened
It is refreshing to see a great KISS interface on such a light instead of the useless multi-click stuff. About time the pendulum swings back.
I'll get the twisty I think. No ... I am sure.
bernie

What my fellow german say´s. :twothumbs

A Twisty is ok for me, if i need a more tactical light i take the Novatac, or a Surefire.

Alex