KD AAA SSC vs. Ultrafire 602c?

sino

Newly Enlightened
Kai's $15 AAA ssc's have been getting positive reviews. Has anyone compared them to the Ultrafire 602c, which is approximately the same size? Anyone know how these lights compare in terms of output?

Thanks!

vincebdx

Newly Enlightened
Runtimes:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2073930&postcount=76

I've got both and i prefer KD AAA.

602C uses plastic lens and has no comparison. Hotspot on the 602C is bigger and dimmer with good spill (kind of flooded light). This buckle light uses aluminum SMO reflector and project all of its light very well, with tighter and more force hotspot, and useable sidespill.

Not to mention the most shipping batch from 602C has questionable body and reflector.

Kai

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
My subjective estimate of output gives a slight edge to the Kai AAA. It is slightly longer because of the tail design with a big hole that accommodates a small caribbeaner. The most important difference is the slight increase in the diameter of the reflector, and this probably explains the slight increase in visible output. BTW, I had to make a small foam doughnut for the Kai to prevent battery rattle.

sino

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I tried to place an order with Kai, but the website won't add the item to my cart. (I tried clearing cookies as recommended, and also tried two different browsers.) I might have to wait until this item is back in stock to order.

sino

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I emailed them and said I was unable to add the item to my cart (although it let me add the 5 pack). Still waiting for a response.

Thanks.

robo21

Enlightened
Well that could mean that the are not out of stock and it's just a Website glitch. They have had some recent issues with their site. Dora is pretty good about replying but it can take a couple days to get a response.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure they are out of stock. If you look below the order button it says they'll be back in stock supposedly mid-November.

I got a 5-pack on the first run. Nice machining, and it has a lot of threads so there's little fear of losing the head while it dangles on your keychain. Also the 'head' portion is pretty long, 2/3 of the length of the light, so that in quickly grabbing your keys it's easy to turn it on, rather than trying to turn on say a small and narrow head.

Very bright too. Definitely buying some more for impulse gifts.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kai is expecting a new batch in about a week, according to his Dealer thread in the CPF Marketplace. Here's hoping these are the version 2's that he was working on.

merlocka

Enlightened
It puts out a ton of lumens on a standard AAA. I think Kai and product page showed it as a 1.2/1.5v battery light from the start.

Yes, it's very bright on AAA nimh, and very floody. It's a great light. I just let curiosity get the best of me, I wired up a 10440 through a meter, figured I'd tap it and see how much current it would draw.

I simultaneously saw over 3A draw, and bright flash, and then a bunch of smell.

I tossed the 10440 also, so 1 second of curiosity cost me a light and a battery :sick2:

Oh well, someone had to be dumb enough to try it.

stephan2148

Newly Enlightened
Merlocka,
Well I read this too late.
I could have sworn I read this light would be brighter with a lithium, I thought 10440.
I received my 10440's and yup. :poof:

But, the LED is fine. I blew something else apart. Haven't smelled that smell for awhile..
I turned it into a direct drive 10440. I hope my pants don't explode. it is super bright, but not sure if it will last. I gooped up thermal paste inside to help if it could help at all. Super bright for now anyway..

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
For this KD AAA, can anyone recommend some good rechargable AAA's? If the runtime is only 45 min. I'll need to invest in some rechargables.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
For this KD AAA, can anyone recommend some good rechargable AAA's? If the runtime is only 45 min. I'll need to invest in some rechargables.

I think they test it on a regular battery (I might be wrong), I think using Eneloop Rechargabe would last a bit long because it's 1000mAh..can anyone confirm this? Did anyone try it on Energizer Lithium AAA?

-E

Marduke

Flashaholic
Last edited:

merlocka

Enlightened
Merlocka,
Well I read this too late.
I could have sworn I read this light would be brighter with a lithium, I thought 10440.
I received my 10440's and yup. :poof:

But, the LED is fine. I blew something else apart. Haven't smelled that smell for awhile..
I turned it into a direct drive 10440. I hope my pants don't explode. it is super bright, but not sure if it will last. I gooped up thermal paste inside to help if it could help at all. Super bright for now anyway..

For anyone else reading :D

:oops: DO NOT USE A 10440 WITH THIS LIGHT.:oops:

Don't even get curious. It will insta-POOF.