My Dereelight makes noise on med & high, Normal?

Dr.K

Enlightened
It is a high pitched squeal

"high pitch" on med

lower "high pitch" on low.

It seems I read somewhere before I got it that it was the PWM, but my other PWM lights don't do this.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of my modules do this, but usually only on medium and low. I usually have to have my ear close to the flashlight to hear it, although some are louder than others.

Dereelight is aware of this and has tried to get rid of the noise on some of their newer pills. I ordered the new 2SD and I'll see if the noise is gone.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a high pitched squeal

"high pitch" on med

lower "high pitch" on low.

It seems I read somewhere before I got it that it was the PWM, but my other PWM lights don't do this.

This is a known issue with just about every regulated light - and it is perfectly normal.

As you have noted, some lights do it and others don't.

Dr.K

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. It was kind of unnerving at first.

I could just hear the Insides sizzling it seemed, but I don't think there is any damage occuring.

as for the volume, it's pretty loud. You can easily hear it at arms length.

I have rode in cars where the alternater made a whine in the sound system, this most closely sounds like my flashlight.

JKL

Enlightened
Identical effect in the tailcap of my DBS Q5-3stage only on med and low, some regulated lights do it and others don't.

Last edited:

TeK

Newly Enlightened
My LiteFlux LF2 does it too but I need to hold it by my ear to hear the noise...

helios

Newly Enlightened
I have a DBS Q5 3 stage that is quiet. I really like this light and have been using it for about two weeks on patrol at night. I dropped it twice onto concrete from about three feet with no ill effects. In fact, the natural anodizing seems tougher than on my U2.