Cree installed into kids' power wheels! :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm probably not the first to do this, but for awhile I've been thinking about trying to mount a Cree LED in my kids' John Deere Gator power wheels vehicle. So today I decided to give it a go. I had a spare cree P4 from my Ultrafire C2 that I removed to replace with a Q5. I have some of those P60 style reflector modules from DX, and some various driver circuits from DX. I went with a 800mA driver. I took a 3xAAA battery holder from a broken DX multi-LED light (those cheap ones where you get like 7 of them for $9-10, multicolored), and the tail switch from the same light. I wired everything up, and installed it into the Gator. Just had to drill a 1 inch hole behind the Gator's headlight cover (they just have headlight diffusion lenses with a reflective paper behind them that just falls out when the lens is removed.

The result was better than I had expected. Hopefully at 500mA the P4 won't get too hot and the aluminum P60 style reflector it is installed into will be enough to heat sink it, but I'm not to worried about it failing. I mounted the clicky switch under the dash of the Gator so the kids can turn it off and on. At the moment everything is held in place with electrical tape. :p I maybe mount things better at a later time, this was more of a test. Now I need to install one in the 2nd head light so it doesn't look funny. :) Here are some pics:

BTW, the kids had a lot of fun driving around in the dark with their new headlight. :) Although our back yard isn't all that dark to begin with. :) The pics were 5 second exposures, f2.8, ISO100, so things are a little brighter than they look in reality.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats very cool Wade. I can't wait till my kid is old enough to do stuff like this with. He is 11 months old and he already has his own cree flashlight though.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats very cool Wade. I can't wait till my kid is old enough to do stuff like this with. He is 11 months old and he already has his own cree flashlight though.

You won't have to wait much longer. :) My 2 1/2 year old drives it around pretty well, and he was driving it last year too, but not too well. :) My 4 1/2 year old drives it around as well, he has the reverse steering down, where the 2 1/2 year old just backs up and hasn't grasped the concept of steering when backing up, so he'll bump into something, back up, go forward and end up in the same place. :)

sgt253

Enlightened
Nice job! I have been wanting to do this to my 5 year old's Hummer for a while now. Seeing your mod really energized me. I better get to it!

Regards.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job! I have been wanting to do this to my 5 year old's Hummer for a while now. Seeing your mod really energized me. I better get to it!

Regards.

There's a lot of room behind the plastic headlight lenses, I could probably mount 6 cree's with reflectors behind each headlight lens. :)