G2/G3 Rechargable?

Biscuits

Newly Enlightened
I saw, in a thread, that someone had a G2 Rechargeable. Is that just a matter if putting NiCads in the unit, or is there another way? Would that work with a G2 LED?

Biscuits

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw, in a thread, that someone had a G2 Rechargeable. Is that just a matter if putting NiCads in the unit, or is there another way? Would that work with a G2 LED?

Biscuits
Ni-cads won't work. Try Li-Ion

You have a couple of options:

G2 + Two AW RCR123 3.7v li-ion batteries + P90 or Lumens Factory ES-9 or SR-9

G2 + One AW 17670 3.7v li-ion battery + Lumens Factory HO-4 or EO-4

G3 + Two AW 17500 3.7v li-ion battery + stock P90 or any Lumens Factory D26 9v series.

www.lumensfactory.com

AW Batteries can be purchased at www.lighthound.com or right here in the CPF Market Place from the member AW.

Cheers

Biscuits

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody, I think I'm getting my hands around this. I'll read MDOCOD's 31 pages (Thanks for the link), and talk to y'all soon.

Biscuits

Newly Enlightened
First thanks for the help and welcome.

I have to admit MDOCOD's post was a little overwhelming, but the only way I'm gonna get this is to do it. I have some questions.

1. Why does it smell like ether when you open up a light with lithium primaries?
2. What about chargers?
3. What are the safety issues? I have seen mention of exploding cells, just how big a bang are we talking about? (My neighbor has a cat that is really annoying and I have squirrels in the attic.) The only thing I've run across is a really hot Pelican M6 when the light turned on in my pack.

I started digging around and this is what I have to work with:

1. SF G2
2. SF G3
3. Pelican M6
4. A Sportsman W'house branded light labeled 1 Watt LED
5. A multi-meter that I really have no idea how to use.

All the lights run on CR123A's. I'd like to cover the widest number of uses possible by converting the units I already own. How does my logic sound?

1. The G2 and M6 appear to close to the same light once the cells and lamps are switched out. The only difference being that one has an aluminum body the other has a plastic one. Right now, the G2 lives in a pouch that I call my "Oh Shoot Kit". It sits for long periods between uses. The Pelican lives next to my bed, it gets used fairly often. I don't really care which is next to the bed, and which stays in the pouch, but it seems that the one in the pouch should use primaries because of their shelf life.
2. The G3 should get a P-90 lamp so it can dump out more light, and have the potential to run off of primaries or rechargeables.
3. I'm not sure what could be done with the Sportsman's W'house LED, since I don't know what lamps may fit it.

Your thoughts?
Biscuits

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Lithium primaries emit a gas (we often call it flashahol) that has a smell. Probably not going to hurt you much, but I wouldn't sniff it for fun..

2. What about them?? Get a good one if you're working with LiIon..

3. As long as you stay safe with your batteries, you don't have a lot to worry about. You've got a better chance of getting run over by a car, I bet, than having a LiIon battery explode..

If you upgrade a G2 (or I guess an M6 possibly, I've never seen one in person) it'll be pretty darn bright. A combo of rechargable cells and a good bulb will do wonders. Might even be too bright for some things.

You could even do a LED drop-in with multiple modes for one of them, so you can navigate without blinding yourself..

The S/W light might be able to be modded with a Seoul or Cree emitter for quite a bit more light, but if you don't know how to use a multimeter you probably should leave emitter replacement to a "pro". Does this light take CR123s?

Welcome to CPF!

Biscuits

Newly Enlightened
The S/W takes cr123's.

How do you tell a good chargre from a bad one?

I can get a drop in multiple-output LED for the G2 or M6?

Biscuits

Spypro

Enlightened
Quick question here:
I plan to buy two G2L as a Christmas gift and I wonder if it is possible to use some kind of RCR123 ?

Thanks!

nightstalker101

Enlightened
Quick question here:
I plan to buy two G2L as a Christmas gift and I wonder if it is possible to use some kind of RCR123 ?

Thanks!

I tried running one with a 17670 and it ran fine, may hav been slightly dimmer but it worked.