Just bought first Led light(s)

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Ive been reading for a few days and looking at some flashlight reveiw sites.
I decided on Inova X5 and river rock 1AA.
I think I want Inova X1 v1.

Thanks to vincent (I think) for his reveiws.

xiaowenzu

Banned
Ive been reading for a few days and looking at some flashlight reveiw sites.
I decided on Inova X5 and river rock 1AA.
I think I want Inova X1 v1.

You can't go wrong the with Inovas - they're bright, tough as tanks, relatively priced and an Uncle Sam Brand made in Uncle Sam Land. :)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy choaticwhisper, and welcome to CPF,
I hope you enjoy your journey towards enlightenment. Now let those photons fly!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have an X5. Excellent multi-LED light.

River Rock has 2 versions of a 1AA light. Don't own the one with the side-mounted switch. But I do have the one with the pocket clip and reverse tailcap clickie.... Best 1AA light I own.

Have an Inova X1 v.2. Not as bright as a v.3, but more runtime. Mine works well.

Any particular reason you want a v.1?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF
X5 is a fine light Absolutely one flashlight with LEGS this may be one LED flashlight which has been on the market the longest. They have not changed the design mush either. They know a winner when they have one.
Good choice for a first flashlight.
Now start working overtime and saving your dough because you are going to need it now that you have found the cpf.
Yaesumofo

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
I have both of the lights you are speaking of. The x5 is a beast it takes everything you could throw at it. it has a nice beam not the brightest or throwiest (is that a word?) but it reaks of quality. The river rock is a nice light with a nice hot spot and spill. it feels a bit cheap though, and IMHO does not put out the claimed 43 lumens.

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
I have an X5. Excellent multi-LED light.

River Rock has 2 versions of a 1AA light. Don't own the one with the side-mounted switch. But I do have the one with the pocket clip and reverse tailcap clickie.... Best 1AA light I own.

Have an Inova X1 v.2. Not as bright as a v.3, but more runtime. Mine works well.

Any particular reason you want a v.1?
my target only had a green river rock, side button no clip. but im pretty happy with it. seems to spill a bit more than some pics showing the black one.
As for the x1 v1, just seems like a fun light to play with.

Any other tight beam good or great throw lights,cheap?

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Not sure how you feel about inca lights, but I can definitely recommend the Brinkmann Maxfire LX. (Also available at Target). In terms of performance, you're getting what can be found in a Surefire G2 model for about half the price!

robo21

Enlightened
my target only had a green river rock, side button no clip. but im pretty happy with it. seems to spill a bit more than some pics showing the black one.
As for the x1 v1, just seems like a fun light to play with.

For pocket sized definitely check out the Ultrafire EMR1, it has excellent throw for its size, great tint (white) and nice build for under $25.

For a 2x 123 sized light with nice throw take a look at this CREE model https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=2779

john46268

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: And get ready for a black hole to suck away all your money and turn it into LED lights! It'll happen faster than you think. Esp. if you shop online.

Welcome... and you've been warned LOL

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
So many lights, so little money.

So far Ive found the build quailty of my inova seems alot better than the river rock, But I like the tight spot light beam of the river rock. Dont like side mounted button, the inova is really missing some kind of texture. Having the tail button and no texture seems a little werid feeling.

So next light must have:
Tailcap button
texture
tight beam
brighter than river rock 1AA
good,great throw
Under $50

Kinda liking the Ultrafire CREE C3 with extension tube

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you like throw, the Romisen MXDL RC-G2 has a pretty good reflector and has good throw for a AA light(and has a forward clicke), also much more then the Riverrock. If you want even more output, upgrading the Cree XR-E P2 in the light to a P4 or better isn't that hard.

The MTE Seoul is also pretty good, it does have a more spread beam and a smooth body but it is pretty bright. It's output makes it out throw the Riverrock.

If you want 2AA, the WF-606 or the 3W Seoul seem to fit your description.

Last edited:

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
thanks I think the MTE Seoul might be next.

I just bought a Dorcy from walmart 3aaa 1 led, dont know watts also has a focus pretty good spot and good flood. Really good throw.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you really want throw, the WF-400(or the thrower but larger WF-600) with 2 18650 batteries and a charger is about $39 shipped ($44 if you buy the WF-600).

The WF-600 will out throw the Maglite 4D(16000 Lux VS 9700 Lux). The WF-400 should be close.

I'd suggest modifying the Dorcy you just got with a newer LED for more output.

Last edited: