A budget 400+ Light

mrQQ

Enlightened
Hello,

i'm looking for a sub 50$ 400+ lumen light. I know that set price point is really really low, so i can't expect great quality, but I can live with that :)

So far the contenders are:

UltraFire WF-500 3xCREE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7933

MX Power 3xCREE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5971

Kai's 3xSSC
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3162

so far, from what I understand Kai's throws a little less, but spills a little more, UltraFire has best output (?), but very poor heat extraction.

Which would guy guys suggest? (besides buy all, because if i had that much, i'd buy something better :)

Thanks!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd avoid the Ultrafire WF-500 and get one of the other lights.

If you want a bit more throw, get the MX power 3XCree. For better flood(and a lower price), get the Kai 3xSSC.

mrQQ

Enlightened
oh, that's no good! :(

but do i understand correctly, that UltraFire was quite a bit brighter than the remaining two?

Beer

Enlightened
I cant comment on the other two lights, however the MX 3-CREE
is a fantastic light for the money. I run mine on primarys and I've been using it for about 10 min every night (on high) for the past week on the same cells.

It is by far the brightest LED light I own. It even beats my Malkoff in total output and ties in throw.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, since the Malkoffdevices drop-in should be able to throw 100+ meters, then according to Beer's statement, the MX power should also have 100 + meter range.

Gladius01

Enlightened
Hello,

i'm looking for a sub 50$ 400+ lumen light. I know that set price point is really really low, so i can't expect great quality, but I can live with that :)

So far the contenders are:

UltraFire WF-500 3xCREE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7933

MX Power 3xCREE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5971

Kai's 3xSSC
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3162

so far, from what I understand Kai's throws a little less, but spills a little more, UltraFire has best output (?), but very poor heat extraction.

Which would guy guys suggest? (besides buy all, because if i had that much, i'd buy something better :)

Thanks!

I go for the MX Power 3xCREE myself, I'm thinking to get one myself. Not bad for the price.:twothumbs

Beer

Enlightened
it really is a nice light (the MX) the finish is good, the threads are good, the clicky talicap works perfect.

Two of my three LEDS are the same color. Both are snow white, the other is more yellow, which acctually helps the beam quaility when I'm outside.

I don't think this was on purpose or a design feature, but it worked out well in this case.

FatTony

Newly Enlightened
I have had a G&P R500 for almost a year now and it's been great. Decent run time (45 - 50 mins) and it puts out a bit more light than a ROP Lo. No problems with battery, bulb life (still on original), charging or anything. I haven't used an WF to compare though.

Tubor

Enlightened
I think I'd prefer the 18650 x 2 version to the rcr123 x 4. Lasts longer and seems to be brighter if they sort the problems out.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
get the MX Power 3xCREE...

cree is a safer bet then seouls...

seouls have so many things that can go wrong with them.

aljsk8

Enlightened
in my experience generally speaking both led packages have there own advantages and disadvantages

cree and seoul are both good!

mdocod

Flashaholic
Ordinarily I would recommend the 2x18650 light, but considering the number of problems the WF-500, I can't recommend that.. And while the other 2 lights looks reasonable, and the MX is getting better reviews.. The fact that it takes 4xRCR123 is a total deal break because it's a complete waste of useful space IMO... If it can run on 4xCR123 then they should have bored it and lengthened it to run on 3 18500s for a good rechargeable option.... The main problem is that they are using a buck regulator in there, so they require a input voltage higher than the Vf of all 3 LEDs combined. If it had a boost regulator you could get like 2 hours runtime on a pair of 18650s, or on a buck regulator a 3x18500 system would only be a few mm longer and also have about 2 hours regulated runtime... 2x18650 is good because you only need 1 charger and 2 cells to mess with...

If you wanted to run these rechargeable, $50 is NOT your price range anymore. Please don't skimp out on the cells.... You can get by with a cheap DSD charger (or 2 if you want to charge more cells faster).. but please get AW brand li-ion cells. plan on another $30-40 for cells and charger....

Another thing I wanted to mention:
If I could do it over again, and get all the money back that was spent on lousy chinese lights, and have that money to focus on just a few good quality lights, I would.

batvette

Newly Enlightened
Another thing I wanted to mention:
If I could do it over again, and get all the money back that was spent on lousy chinese lights, and have that money to focus on just a few good quality lights, I would.

There's a lot of wisdom there buddy....

I had the same experience putting together a "collection" of used and new binoculars, many from ebay. I was always searching for that "as good as Zeiss" or "almost like Steiner" unit, but feeling disappointed wth every purchase. 2 years and a dozen packages in the mail later I did get a deal on a pair of Steiner Senator 20x80's for about $550 (factory refurb) and a pair of Zeiss "checkpoint charlie" 7x40 military binox, for $300. (the latter a stupendously wonderful set of optics that rival anything for $1500 new today)

I no longer feel the desire to keep purchasing something hoping it is as good as the best. There was no substitute.

mountainpenguin

Newly Enlightened
What about solarforce?
I have seen a couple of 3x cree q5 700 lm + lights on ebay.
Are these for real? Is there any where other than ebay to get them?
Are they any good ?
I am after a multi headed light for taking picture in caves / mines. It only needs to have 1 mode and be as bight as possible.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Solarforce = Same output as a Surefire M4 w/ the lower output lamp, but with more sidespill. We're talking 225 lumens from the M4.

Also, be sure to get AW 18650 Protected cells if you go with the Solarforce L600. Those of us who have the light, found out that other 18650 cells (especially Ultrafire brand) tend not to be reliable in this light.

I originally tried to get a G&P R500 Scorpion. Couldn't find a site with a good rep. that sold that model, so I went with the Solarforce.... and then found out it's considerably less brighter than the Scorpion. :sigh: