Central UK Get Together 2007/8

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Hello All

There's been a thread going here since February about the possibility of a UK get together.
So, if people are up for it, I can arrange something in central England, in or around Derbyshire. Hopefully the hills of the Peak District can provide a nice environment for testing lights etc.
The Peak District has many campsites, so I had a camping trip in mind, probably with night walks and a BBQ for food, although it's still early in the organisation so I'm open to ideas.

Here is a list of people interested.

Kooter
cdosrun

London Lad
Empyfree
HEY HEY ITS HENDO
Nyctophiliac
orb
Safety1st
monkeyboy

RAF_Groundcrew
alauda
Tempest UK
basill
dirobesh

Mad1
petrev
Gladius01
soapy

It would be great to get this off the ground as we're long overdue a get together over here.

Mike

Update 25/10/2007
- I've changed the list to only include those who have expressed an interest, let me know if I've missed anybody. Obviously It's still open to others, I'm just tidying things up. Bear with me here people, I'm assessing various campsites, chalet parks etc. I'll let you know when I confirm some suitable ones.
Also, doing anything outdoors related in this country so early in the year is a proverbially bad idea, so would people be happy to wait a bit longer for a later meet, maybe June-July?

Last edited:

Empyfree

Enlightened
Count me in dependant on date! I'll be spending a lot of time in America again next summer (June onwards) but I'm up for a get-together whenever! I know of a couple of campsites in Edale as well as a good camping barn that could be good in more british weather!

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
A word on dates, I was thinking earlyish next year, possibly February - March.
Any thoughts?

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hi Mike,

It sounds like a really good idea, I should be able to make it providing it isn't too expensive; I don't think I have ever been that far north!

Andrew

dirobesh

Enlightened
Definitely up for it - would have to be before march as my fiancee is due to give birth around the 10th - as much as I love torches, I don't think she'd appreciate it if I left her holding the baby.... :eek:

Windscale

Enlightened
I wrote this in the other thread:

"Regrettably, I will have to be stuck in Hong Kong for some time. But to give you my fullest support, once you have decided on a date and venue, and if more than 15 members shall attend, then I would ask you to elect a representative and then PM me his address and the list of attending members, I shall then send over a Fenix torch with batteries for you chaps to have a lucky draw and, of course, the winner shall get them all. Please allow at least 2 weeks for air mail delivery.

I hope this token of goodwill on my part will summonse up sufficient encouragement for you chaps to actually stick your fingers out and go ahead to arrange for a get together. I hope some of you would send me some photos taken and news after the event.

Good luck chaps."

The Fenix will be sent over once you have decided on a date and a rep. I hope finally it is happening.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'm up for it although it's hard to say what I'll be doing by then. Night time hill walking is always fun.

alauda

Enlightened
I am up for it dependant on date.

Question? Why not have several meets. ie The Londoners meet around London, The Scottish meet in Scotland etc etc.

It might make more sense and if a success in the regions, then carry on the momentum.

Speaking for myself, this location is a hell of a long way to go. It is going to need planning from family/work life. I am willing, but the above is just a suggestion.:shrug:

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
cdosrun - If travel is a problem, the rail links are quite good up here, Derby and Loughborough stations are within easy reach. PM me if you need any help.

dirobesh - Congratulations! I'll bear that in mind.

Monkeyboy & Tempest UK - Great stuff, added you to the list.

Windscale - I'll send you a PM later today.

12 people and counting.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make that thirteen!!!

Scythe_rr - Fantastic, at last, a definate UK organized get together for love all all things bright and flashy ( Torchy??)

Peak district in March - Okay...? Why not Arc district in May or Fenix district in Sept ( I don't only do the funny lines!) We're going to have to veer towards waterproof torches only??

I'll say Yeah, subject to work, life and height above sea level - The last time I attempted this kind of excursion I was twenty years younger and a great deal lighter and therefore less likely to be carted off the hills in/on a stretcher!! But twenty years ago the torches weren't that good! Also don't have a tent or outdoors hiking gear to speak of so I'll have to work that all out too. And I snore, big time!! I may need another hill just to myself!!

Keep me posted. If it's possible to do the meet and then disappear to the localest hostelry for the pleasures of bricks and mortar and TV, then that sounds cool to me! If not, do I need a three season tent?? Are Army Rat packs OK? Is it cheating to bring firelighters...

Still hoping for a less arduous meet in the deep south east!! As well...

Be lucky...

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: Mike,
Good Job :thumbsup:
I will be there, looking forward to it.
Good luck.

Windscale

Enlightened
cdosrun - If travel is a problem, the rail links are quite good up here, Derby and Loughborough stations are within easy reach. PM me if you need any help.

dirobesh - Congratulations! I'll bear that in mind.

Monkeyboy & Tempest UK - Great stuff, added you to the list.

Windscale - I'll send you a PM later today.

12 people and counting.

Count to 15 and my Fenix will be flying.
Well done chaps.

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Windscale - PM incoming :)

Nyctophiliac - C'mon man, be brave!:nana:I'll see what I can do.

Everybody else - I'll give it a few days to let everybody who wants to attend reply, then I'll start sugesting campsites and making some phonecalls. I've got a short list of ones in the surrounding area, hopefully some will be willing to put up with us.

Mike

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hi Mike,

I think my old car will be fine to make it up there thanks and I am sure I have some camping gear around somewhere from my CCF days.

Windscale, it's a shame you can't make it perhaps there will be a later gathering you will be able to attend and thank you for the offer of the Fenix.

Andrew

Windscale

Enlightened
Hi Mike,

I think my old car will be fine to make it up there thanks and I am sure I have some camping gear around somewhere from my CCF days.

Windscale, it's a shame you can't make it perhaps there will be a later gathering you will be able to attend and thank you for the offer of the Fenix.

Andrew

Camping may be a bit too much for me. I was in the CCF as well. But that was well over 30 years ago. So you know why! We'll choose a nice Fenix for you chaps. Should I be able to make it in the future, I shall find a nice little country hotel near your venue!

kooter

Enlightened
I am up for it dependant on date.

Question? Why not have several meets. ie The Londoners meet around London, The Scottish meet in Scotland etc etc.

It might make more sense and if a success in the regions, then carry on the momentum.

Speaking for myself, this location is a hell of a long way to go. It is going to need planning from family/work life. I am willing, but the above is just a suggestion.:shrug:

I really would like this to take off, but as in the quote above it is a long way to travel for me too. 200 ish miles. Work and family life could be prohibitive. :sigh: