choosing a fenix is hard

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a 3 watt 2 AA sportsman extreme, i got out to the truck and checked it out, sick purple color, it would not have been bad if it was white, I was going to go back in a get refund right away but i had already been into 3 stores and i always park all the way out in the parking lot and i did not feel like walking that far for the 7th and 8th time, any way i think i want a P3D Q5, i want fairly compact Bright a mediocre battery life.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok now i see the P3D premimum Q5 is 215 lumens and the L2d CE is 175, is there a big visible difference with 40 extra lumens?

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's noticeable, but it's not a huge difference. Our eyes are logarithmic, so it takes a huge jump in brightness before we notice it that much. BTW, the L2D RB100 is the one you're thinking of, not the CE.

I prefer AA format lights myself. They are much more versitile IMO, being able to use common and cheap alkalines, safe and simpler to use NiMH, or lithium AA primaries for extreme heat, cold, or extended storage. Some can even still use li-ion if you prefer.

Also, the 1 watt Rayovac Sportsman Extreme appears nearly as bright as the 3 watt, but has a much warmer, whiter tint.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Rayovac 3W Sportsman Extreme is purple as well. I'd go for the new P3D Q5 Premium. You can run primaries or RCR123's (rechargable 3.7v). The P3D Q5 is currently their brightest, and it also offers very long run times on low.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my money, the P1D Q5 is one of the most awesome EDC lights on the market. Small enough to carry easily on the belt, but makes a ton of lumens. Way bright.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok i am trying to order now but in the checkout it will not let me use my PP balance, only an echeck or CC, usually i use my balance and if that runs out it does an auto transfer for the rest, it says my paymnets are set to my paypal balance when available. So i went to the checkout redemed the code and got the total, can i send the payment to fenix direct from the paypal site using "send money". And where does the money go..."fenixstore.com"

Last edited:

wishywashy7

Enlightened
it comes down to a question of what battery you want 2 x AA (L2D, which is a wee bit long for some people's tastes, but not mine) or 2 x CR123 (P3D). they are absolutely right about the brightness difference being not very noticeable.

i have both and sincerely recommend you get both too:twothumbs but can hardly go wrong with either

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Wishy. I own both an L2D R100 and a P3D Q5. Both very nice. I travel with the L2D b/c I can get more batteries easily if needed.

The L2D length is a plus for me. If I'm in a self-defense situation, I want a chunk of metal that sticks out from my fist at either end. Yet on the other hand, I don't want a light that screams "impact weapon" with an aggressive bezel and all.

On the downside of traveling with the L2D: (1) slippery and hard to find in the dark, but fixed by putting some 3/8 shrink tube on it; (2) the preflash, fixed by blinking at the moment I turn it on.

Zenster

Enlightened
To the original question...

The Fenix' are great lights, and everyone should own at least one of them.
As to deciding which you want, it's really quite simple.

First, decide which battery you want to use. CR123 lights are shorter than their AA counterparts, but you can go anywhere in the world at any time of day and you will be able to find AA's. Not so with CR123's, so you would have to plan a little better.

Second, decide if you're willing to carry a slightly longer light for the extra brightness and runtime, or if you want decent light but in a very small package.

I love my L2D which I bought specifically because it uses AA batteries, and it's exactly as long as a Maglite AA flashlight but thinner so, for me, it's easy to slip into a pocket and go anywhere.
But most of the 2 cell Fenix lights can be converted to 1 cell by getting the extra, shorter barrel so you have an option.
I'm thinking of getting a P3D "just because", but this L2D does everything I want so I probably won't. I really like my small light to be based on AA batteries from the "survival" aspect.

As far as brightness, and to offer a comparison, my L2D's two highest settings are 107 lumens and 180 lumens (it's a Q5). Yes, it's easy to see the difference between the two settings, but I find that the 107 setting is more than I want or need 70% of the time. For another 10% of the time it's used, I'll use the 180 setting, but for the other 20% of the time, I use the lower settings because in some situations, anything more is just too bright.

I don't join in on all this nitpicky talk about color and if a particular LED makes things look "flat" (?.. I don't get that) because if I want to see something well at night, all I need is a bunch of light.
While I can see how some might like a particular light tint, to me, that's just a preference for what someone thinks is "pretty" rather than for what effectively lights up the night.
God help some of you people if you ever need to use infrared at night. :D

These comments are worth exactly 2 lumens, so use them or abuse them with that in mind. :poke:

mrQQ

Enlightened
I can confirm that while i can clearly see the jump from 107 to 180 lumens, after that the brightness is really pretty pretty similar, so 180 to 215 would really be a very minor difference..

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
It's noticeable, but it's not a huge difference. Our eyes are logarithmic, so it takes a huge jump in brightness before we notice it that much. BTW, the L2D RB100 is the one you're thinking of, not the CE.

There's also a quarter power law between the extra vision range you'll get from a light and the intensity - i.e. you need a light 8 times as bright to see twice as far. I suspect that most of the extra kick that the P3D gets is from a larger reflector rather than the slight increase in power.

Otoh, the P3D is more pocket friendly. Otoh again, a single AA light that can use a 14500 is much better again.

savumaki

Enlightened
For my money, the P1D Q5 is one of the most awesome EDC lights on the market. Small enough to carry easily on the belt, but makes a ton of lumens. Way bright.

Couldn't have said it better. Found that out during the deer hunt.
My son and I swear by them.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i have ordered a digital L2D RB100, by phone this morning, how long does it usually take to ship.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It depends where you are and what shipping you picked. In the US, the fastest I've heard was two days and the slowest was a month or so. So I'd guess you will see it in about a week.