So I finally got outshined while camping...

KingGlamis

Banned
This past weekend camping at the sand dunes in CA I finally got outshined. I'll have to step it up a few notches now. :D

Here's the story... I saw a friend guiding a motorhome into it's camping spot and his light seemed very bright. Of course, I had to investigate. So I walk over and ask about his light. It was a Streamlight Ultra-Stinger. He let me try it and I was impressed. So we had a shine-off. The three brightest lights I had on me were a Fenix P3D-RB100, a SuperFire WF-501D and a Mag 4D with Mag LED and Aspheric lens. His Ultra-Stinger beat them all in throw, based off of shining at the top of a very tall cell tower about 50 feet away from us. The Ultra-Stinger definitely has impressive throw. The Aspheric Mag was close in throw, but had zero flood, while the Ultra-Stinger had throw plus some flood. With ground-level targets at 50-100 feet the Ultra-Stinger also won vs. my 3 lights. However, at less than 50 feet my WF-501D won out with it's massive flood.

I don't really feel bad that I lost since the Ultra-Stinger has such a larger reflector than the lights I used, but I'll definitely need to step it up next time so I don't lose again.

Game on... :D

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be ashamed of yourself! :shakehead
Go get yourself a Cree Super-thrower, a Hotwire mod or an HID. :nana:

FASTCAR

Banned
I have a US in the garage and a Strion.
Every time I fire up the US I am shocked by its throw.Same for the Strion.

Numbers

Enlightened
I have a US bought years ago when I first discovered CPF and while I was still in sticker shock over Surefire prices.
Bought it to do nightly dog walks, size was a good thing (compared to a pocketable light) in case I needed some help to ward off a stray.
Anyway for reference the US throws like my 6 cell Mag (bought even earlier when I thought they were the best) on fresh batteries. On my ceiling bounce test it seems to put out somewhat less light than my SF L4. It's hard to tell because the L4 light is obviously much whiter and that alone may make it seem like it puts out more light. The US is a good thrower, penetrates the woods well, and makes for good color rendition outdoors. Mine is 7 yrs old, no longer used every day (it was for 4 years) and still runs well on it's original bulb and battery.
If it's your kind of light it is definitely good value for the money.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The TigerLight outshines (more intense beam, higher output) the UltraStinger in my side-by-side use of the two. Since upgrading to a better lamp in the TigerLight it smokes all but the M4 (with MN61 or N62), M6 and 10X.

The UltraStinger and TigerLight are at opposite ends of my non-SureFire flashlight investment experience.

djblank87

Enlightened
The TigerLight outshines (more intense beam, higher output) the UltraStinger in my side-by-side use of the two. Since upgrading to a better lamp in the TigerLight it smokes all but the M4 (with MN61 or N62), M6 and 10X.

The UltraStinger and TigerLight are at opposite ends of my non-SureFire flashlight investment experience.

My Tigerlight with the 375 lumen lamp, is just an awsome light and yes it will out throw my UltraStinger. I'm very fond of my UltraStinger being that is has just kept on running after being abused so much.

Good point Size15, if one does not want a Surefire product, a TL is a great way to go.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My like new AE-PL24/S HID with two batteries is for sale. I'll meet you halfway, (drive wise) :)

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Get a Fivemega 700L and configure it as a Mag85 with 3 AW 17670 cells. As pocketable as a maglite can really get (about 1.5D size) and will blow the doors off an ultrastinger in both throw and flood. Figure ~800-900 torch lumens, rechargeable, 25 mins runtime and flat discharge. Under $200 with batteries and charger if done right. That's the friggin definition of pocket rocket!