New E1L head on a L4 Body?

steerpike999

Newly Enlightened
Hi again, first, thanks for all the answers to my previous post i am now the proud owner of an L5 (Now I have the L4 and L5) and I can't wait to get home tonight to try it out. I thought about waiting for the new model but, hey a bird in the hand....

Anyway, My question is regarding the new cree E1L. Will the head in one of these new units (Kx1 I believe?) fit onto my L4 body? and vise versa i.e the KL4 fit onto the E1L body?

Thanks again for your replies. :twothumbs

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
When did that happen?? My KL1 runs fine on 6v..

As per your quote.....a KL1 will run fine on an L4 body

A KX1 is a single cell 3 volt head from what I understand.

I have a KX2 that I run on an old L4 body with a Pila 168S....now this light I REALLY like.

Braddah_Bill

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting - they don't sell a seperate KX1 head, do they?? Looks like they still sell a KL1..

Does a KX1 have a cree in it??

AzGB

Enlightened
Yup. The KX1 and KX2 are the latest Cree-based heads for the current E1L and E2L. These heads are currently not for sale apart from a complete light.

AzGB

Enlightened
Nice try...

Actually, as I've had it explained to me it has something to do with the electronics needing to be that way. I guess the general idea is that a driver can either be highly efficient, or highly adaptable, but not normally both. These new Cree lights have VERY good outputs for quite a long time, a huge increase in runtime and output over the last generation. The drawback is that they've become very specific in their power requirements.

I'm do not even resemble an electronics expert, but that's how one explained it to me.

Hope this helps.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
So which one do I want if I'm planning to run on a li-ion, where the fully charged voltage may be as high as 4.2 volts? I'm assuming the KX2 is the correct answer...

AzGB

Enlightened
Honestly, I have no idea. Not only am I not an electronics expert, I'm also not a rechargeable user.

At 4.2v it sounds like it's too much for the KX1, but it doesn't sound like it'd do much for the KX2... kinda no man's land. I'd imagine someone's figured out a rechargeable solution for the lights though...

cryhavok

Enlightened
I've tested a 3.7V rechargeable cell on the KX1 and it doesn't work. The light oscillates between a slightly higher output and a lower output at about 1 hz. Your only option to use a rechargeable cell is with the KX2.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not inclusive of bezel threading. I actually PMed a member here to specifically ask if the new Kx heads were compatable with older E series bodies, and they are. They have to be when SureFire releases the Kx heads as standalone LED replacements.