NEED SOME CPF HELP FOR MY FOLKS

FASTCAR

Banned
My parents have 4 lights that plug into normal wall sockets.( spread around the house).If they lose power, these light turn on auto..untill power comes back on.They were OLD Black&Decker units with very dim normal bulbs and nicads.

Anyhoo All 4 have died and I want to grab them 4 new better units..perhaps LED ( cree or similar).

So my question is : Has Any CPF seen lights that do this? Any brand or MFG?

I checked PTS but he has no such units.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
David

**Money is not a major thing here..but Im not looking for 100$+ each that are like 200+ lumens

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it the main concern is emergency facilities lighting and not a hold in your hand flashlight ? ie you want the house lit up enough to move around ? Or did they intend to grab the lights and use them like common flashlights ?

FASTCAR

Banned
na, they just stay in the wall.

Just guessing : The old B&D unit was maybee 20 lumens and lasted ( at the end anyway) 15 mins of usefull light.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Personally, I would use 2 separate lighting systems for this situation... if I could afford it... I would install standard emergency lighting in a few key places in my grandparents home, and then just supply them with a few good flashlights, 2D mags with terralux drop-ins are ideal for this type of gift, with long runtimes, bright output, and commonly found cells. I haven't seen very many plug-in flashlights that actually have a true "float" charger in them, most of them sit and cook the NICD cells 24/7 and are destined to be dead within a few years anyways. A emergency lighting system with a good lead-acid and TRUE float charger built in would be a good option. ..

FASTCAR

Banned
O my folks have flashlights ..they did hatch a CPFer you know !
They both play lights !

Dad has easily 10 "normal" mags,MC,strion and a few crappy old school multi LED lights...He also tries to jack any new light I bring over to show him !...last time I found my DBS in his pocket as I was leaving!

Mom has a ASP triax 3x cree that she LOVES..and calls her 6 shooter.When I walk into the house she shoots me and laughs.She also has a few multi LED AA lights.

Both have a DX "photon" and some other DX I got them..might be a C3..as EDC I guess.

Mags in all 3 cars glovebox.

Zenster

Enlightened
O my folks have flashlights ..they did hatch a CPFer you know !
They both play lights !

Dad has easily 10 "normal" mags,MC,strion and a few crappy old school multi LED lights...He also tries to jack any new light I bring over to show him !...last time I found my DBS in his pocket as I was leaving!

Mom has a ASP triax 3x cree that she LOVES..and calls her 6 shooter.When I walk into the house she shoots me and laughs.She also has a few multi LED AA lights.

Both have a DX "photon" and some other DX I got them..might be a C3..as EDC I guess.

Mags in all 3 cars glovebox.

Well jeez, you shoulda' said so. That changes everything. :naughty:

A couple (or three) of these sitting around and a 24 pack of fresh AA batteries and they'll be good to go for the rest of their lives.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Coast_LED_Lantern_4_AA.php

Those, and one of it's bigger brothers is on my wish list for Chrismas.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Coast_LED_Lantern_4_D.php

With these laying around and with a couple of boxes of batteries with a shelf life around 10 years down the road, I don't think there is any emergency they won't be able to light up.

The problem with the plug in rechargeables (or rechargeables of any kind) is that once you run them down, how are you going to recharge them if you still don't have power? Plus, those rechargeables can go bad in time and may not be available just when needed the most.

With the above lights, you just pop in a fresh set of batteries and keep on truckin', and if you run out of batteries, you can usually pick some up somewhere in town since AA and D batteries are the most common size batteries made.

Just buy your folks one of the little ones for Christmas and see how they like it. Then make them buy some more on their own dime :)

DaveG

Enlightened
Sams, club has some led night light/flashlight,combo,think Wal-mart has some too.

scottaw

Enlightened
We have a coleman light that hangs in an outlet, and has a small indiglo on it for nightlight use. It was something like $15 at amazon, and basically it's so anyone in the house ALWAYS knows where at least one light is. That way if im not home they know where one is....and the closet, the nightstand, my desk...you know.