Any Experience with: ULTRAFIRE Q5 C2?

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
They're available on DX, but I was wondering if the Ultrafire C2 w/ Q5 Cree is worth a purchase.

Thanks for your help!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If it is the same quality as the previous Ultrafire C2s, then it should be a good band for the buck, but just know that the WF-400 out throws the C2(if that's what you are looking for, not sure how the Q5 C2 compares to the Q2 WF-400) due to it's deeper reflector.

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I was looking for something that could serve as a backup bike light.

• I need a good mix of spill and throw
  • It needs to be under 6 inches to fit in my bag.
  • CR 123
Do you think the overall output is similar between the 400 and the C2 with the q-5.

How does the cree projection on DX compare in real life use?

I think the only reason I really want the C2 is because of the Q5 LED. If something exists that would outperform it at similar price I'd go with that.

Thanks again,

B.S.

Last edited:

mrfluffy

Newly Enlightened
I use an original Ultrafire C2 as my primary bike light, it's absolutely brilliant. Just the right blend of spot and spill to see where I am going, and let other road users know I am there. The DX Projection isn't as handy for bike use, the spot is too intense with not enough spill to see what your front wheel is about to hit :(. I tend to keep my DX Projection as a backup, and to do perimeter checks at work when I am opening up or locking up.

I am awaiting a Q5 C2, should be with me tomorrow or Monday, according to the tracking data, I'll post on whether there are any major benefits over the older C2.

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
Ok... I'm interested... I'll wait... but I still want see or hear comparisons on the new and old C2

sims2k

Enlightened
Got one, nice build quality, throws like crazy for 26 bucks. Its worth it in my opinion.

Is it build like the original C2 HA III ? Do you think the parts are interchangable between the C2 Q5 and the C2 HA III ? Love the C2 HA III but the C2 Q5 do es not say anything about HA III.

mrfluffy

Newly Enlightened
Right, got my Q5 C2 today, had a play around with it, and I am impressed. It's got a warmer tint to the original C2, and what looks like a 20% brightness increase in dark, wet and misty conditions. ( Winter in the UK, lovely). White wall bounces show the difference nicely, but the tint really seems to help with colour rendition outdoors. This is purely a personal viewpoint, scientific evidence may point to the contrary.

Otherwise, finish is nice, a bit smoother than my original C2, I only have the HAII finish one, so can't compare with the HAIII. The bodies appear to be identical, so you should be able to transplant the innards across to a HAIII body if you are so inclined.

It's not a huge leap up from the original C2 in any way, just a gradual improvement, but it's a damn fine light.

Delivery time was just under 2 weeks from China to the UK, although actual transit time was only 4 days from order despatch.

If you mean to use this with the Bike mounting clamp from DX, be prepared to heavily modify the attachments, the clamp is a nice idea, but let down by poor execution. I had to replace one of the bolts, reshape the area where the flashlight sits, and use 2 small Neodymium magnets to ensure the clamp locks securely.

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
mrfluffy,

good advice on the magnets. I have the DX clamp and have been a little disappointed. Since I carry around a wad of "HandiTak", I use it to temporarily mount my jetbeam C-LE and and use a bit to keep the clamp closed.

I'll have to try out the magnet trick however. Did you use epoxy or just plain superglue to mount the magnets?

B.S.

mrfluffy

Newly Enlightened
I used epoxy, mainly because it's all I had to hand. Superglue should work fine. Mount one of your magnets inside the housing, where the clamp comes down, and then another glued to the inside or outside of the clamp, and that will hold it in very firmly.

Right, now I have a spare C2. Hmm, what to do. Anyone out there tried an Aspheric Ultrafire C2 yet?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Pet peeve: No such thing as HA II. Only HA III. Type two anodizing should be referred to as such, Type II. HA is only for Type III anodizing, which is much tougher then Type II.

Sorry, It always bugs me.

With the spare Ultrafire C2? Humm, stick this driver in the light along with a Q5 and you should make the light even brighter then the Ultrafire C2 Q5(higher current, only run with a 18650 battery).

Or keep it as a Beater light.

What's the distance between the reflector and the LED and what size is the window? There might be a Aspheric lens that would work there.

Last edited:

extas

Newly Enlightened
with that 7135 driver you would need to attach the driver to a heatsink at least. the 7135 is rated only for 4.5v without heat issues. i think.

mrfluffy

Newly Enlightened
The distance between the glass and the LED is about 24mm, and the width of the glass is about 38mm. I have some Aspheric lenses with a focal length of 30mm, just finished grinding the edges of one to let it fit snugly onto the end of the light. I may need to machine a tube to extend the light a little to protect the lense.

As for the beam, HOLY CRAP.. This thing is very intense. Beats my DX Cree Projection light hands down. Will do some more tests tonight, and try and work out how to take some beamshots.