First EDC light?

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've been lurking here in the forums for awhile now, and I've decided to make my first "real" light purchase (something that's brighter at least). I've got a liteflux lf2, minimag led, and a few other cheap led lights. I love my lf2, but would like something brighter and with longer runtime. Also, I would like the light to run on commonly found batteries (aa's would be nice). So far, I've looked at the nitecore defender(waiting for some reviews), the olight t15, the fenix series, the lumapower lm31, and the lumapower m3 transformer. My favorite I think, is the m3, because of it's decent brightness plus good runtime with a good floody beam, and the option of good throw with the turbohead. I think the size is fine, if I need something smaller I have my liteflux, so it basically comes down to what would be the "best' all-purpose go anywhere light. Also, if anyone could show me some beamshots of the Luma m3 with the turbohead(outside shots would be the best), then that would be awesome.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Lumapower forum has a few beamshots, Link.

The best all purpose AA light without modding would be the... actually, hard to say, all depends on what you need the light to do.

:welcome:

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
Basically, i'd mostly use it for hiking/camping and some for the boat. I really like the luma m3 the most because of the turboh.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I was thinking maybe two lights.

One that can really throw and another one that is for close range. You also get the added reliability of two lights instead of one and you could also get a light that can really throw and another that is good at medium/close range.

As the saying goes,

"Two is one and one is none."

Downside is price unless you shop at one of the cheaper sites like DX, then downside might be quality.

But as a medium, the M3 transformer seems to be a good light. I hope they come out with a Q5 or R2 version.

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking maybe two lights.

One that can really throw and another one that is for close range. You also get the added reliability of two lights instead of one and you could also get a light that can really throw and another that is good at medium/close range.

As the saying goes,

"Two is one and one is none."

Downside is price unless you shop at one of the cheaper sites like DX, then downside might be quality.

But as a medium, the M3 transformer seems to be a good light. I hope they come out with a Q5 or R2 version.

Shoot, I'm tempted to splurge and buy all of these lights! That's not very realistic however, so I think I might stick with the m3 for now.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The M3 is a pretty good light and probably one of the best stock throwers for 2AA power supply(with the turbohead).

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since Battery Junction is supplying the turbo-head for free, and given all the tubes. The M3 does look very interesting.

Did I miss something though, why no mention of the Fenix L2D ? For an AA light it seems pretty hard to beat.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think it was the throw factor that removed the Fenix L2D-CE, Q5 or Rebel 100 from this use.

For medium to close range uses, the L2D should be great.