Whats your Preferred Form Factor

rtt

Enlightened
I was wondering what flashlight form factor CPFers prefer. I ask this question because I have a Arc-P and Peak Matterhorn that I find to be too small. I do not EDC a light, but have a SF A2 always in my brief bag. I find that the A2 is about the smallest light I like to use. The light that feels just right for me is a SF 9P just because it is longer. I handled a SF U2 once and thought it really felt good also, may have to get one!

I am probably just "old school" but IMHO, I think the one cell light form factor will be a passing fancy or just for people who actually EDC a light everyday. :p

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am probably just "old school" but IMHO, I think the one cell light form factor will be a passing fancy or just for people who actually EDC a light everyday. :p

I don't know what the numbers are but I would think a very large number of CPFers EDC a light. Judging by what lights are heavily discussed/recommended I would say one cell lights aren't going anywhere.
As I EDC most of my lights I personally prefer one cell lights either AA or CR123. The only multiple cell lights I have are a couple of minimags one with SMJLED and the other with a 1 watt NiteIze drop in. The first sits in a drawer and the second in the car. For my needs, one cell form factor does it.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think you'll find that probably 9 out of 10 of CPF'ers actually EDC a light (or 5) at all times. I prefer 1 cell personally, except for the fauxton, which technically takes 2 cells...

I currently EDC a fauxton, Fenix E0, and Ultrafire C3 single mode in 1xAA format.

I keep my home, office, and car all stocked with 2 cell lights though.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
The smallest size that's comfortable for me is an E2E / L4, but the longer A2 and L2 are a couple of my favorites.

I have to say that I believe single 123 lights are definitely here for the long run especially since LEDs have revolutionized flashlight efficiency. They're very popular and the cell is firmly established, thanks to Surefire.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I prefer a one cell light, and generally smaller is better. Currently I'm EDCing a Fenix E0 and a Proton, with an Arc AAA on the keychain.

Geoff

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely a one cell light. My #1 preference are 1 x 123 lights because they are sufficiently small but at the same time rather powerful.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
My battery size of choice is 123a. I like both one cell and two cell lights. I EDC a few one cell lights (SF L1, SF E1E, Novatac 120P, and a Fenix L0D CE on the key chain). Sometimes I also EDC a two cell light (SF E2E) which is only a fraction of an inch longer than my one cell SF L1. I don't EDC them, but a lot of times I will take either my SF U2, SF 6PD, SF 9PD, SF M2, Wolf Eyes D2AX, Wolf Eyes 6MAX, or Dereelight CL1H out with me. My SF U2 is pretty much my go to light for use around the house. It is a great utility light with its 6 levels of brightness, and just feels great in the hand.

I love this hobby. I believe it is one of the best hobbies I have ever had. As my eyes grow older, my flash lights have become indispensable. I rarely turn on lights to navigate around the house at night. And, if I need extra light to see something better, I always have a flashlight with me....and several within reach. Not only is this a fun hobby, but I believe a very practical and useful one. I have also have had the pleasure of making a few new friends here at CPF that I either get together with or talk to on the phone regularly because of my flashlight enthusiasm.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preferred EDC form factors: first place 123, second AA (less energy density, probably less bright), third AAA (tends to be too small for my tastes; AAA cells good for 5mm-LED lights, but I wouldn't want a Cree AAA).

Preferred general purpose, non-EDC form factors: 1x18650. Everything else sucks. :p

rtt

Enlightened
I think you'll find that probably 9 out of 10 of CPF'ers actually EDC a light (or 5) at all times. I prefer 1 cell personally, except for the fauxton, which technically takes 2 cells...

I currently EDC a fauxton, Fenix E0, and Ultrafire C3 single mode in 1xAA format.

I keep my home, office, and car all stocked with 2 cell lights though.

Gee...I did not realize that 90 percent CPFer's actually EDC a light at all times! This explains the interest in single cell lights and small form factor. I occasionally use my light for checking on equiptment at my business, but use a light almost every night for eveing walks. The short lights just do not feel as good to me as the longer lights during my night walks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The short lights just do not feel as good to me as the longer lights during my night walks.

The idea is to ALWAYS have something. By carrying something on the smaller side, it isn't as cumbersome, so it's more likely that you'll actually EDC it so that you'll have something when you need it. If you know you will be doing a specific task that could benefit from a different light (ie. walking at night), you can grab something different that's better suited for the job. This may mean brightness, runtime, size, defensive purposes, hands free, etc.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal preference is generally a 1 cell CR123 or sometimes a 2 CR123. My most carried lights are NovaTac 120P, McLux PD, McLux PR, ASP Triad Cree, or SF Z2 with BUG Cree module.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer single cell lights for EDC...but when I need something more "substantial" (yet feels good in the hand), it's tough to beat a Mag 2C with a Malkoff!

Brozneo

Enlightened
I used to EDC an A2, now I EDC a Milky L1 - Good runtimes and brightness plus smaller form factor... But I've just brought a U2 and it's getting modded by Milky at the moment, so once I get that I'll give that a go for EDC and see how it goes - but it's spring here so none of my lights are getting much runtime!

Burgess

Flashaholic
i prefer the 1 or 2 cell AA lights,

cuz' i really like NiMH cells, especially Sanyo Eneloops. :thumbsup:

And i really like my Maha C-9000 battery charger/analyzer,
to charge 'em.

But i'd sure like to see Streamlight update their 2x2cell
Pro-Polymer 4aa Luxeon model.

How about a Cree or a Rebel, Streamlight ?

:whistle:

Not really a fan of AAA rechargeables.

_

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like several form factors, but the closest thing to edc is a Fenix L1Tv2 that I carry in a coat pocket at night. Tactical and practical. NiMH AA.

Zenster

Enlightened
I would like to say that single cell AA is my favorite, but it can't be because of lessor lumens and shorter runtimes compared to 2-AA lights.

I'm willing to stuff an extra 1-1/2 inch long light in my pocket (my current favorite EDC is the L2D/Q5) in order to get huge lighting for it's size (180 lumens in Turbo) and long runtimes (2.4hrs) and even longer runtimes in High (107 lumens) for 4 hours+.
While I can tell the difference between Turbo and High, 90% of the time, the High setting is more than enough for what I need most of the time.
In fact, the Low and Medium settings are enough for lot's of situation. But I digress... :ohgeez:

Probably the most important part of EDC to me is to have easy access to batteries anywhere, and only the AA's will give you that. It will be a couple of dozen years before CR123's become as inexpensive and universally available as AA's are now.

If push came to shove and I absolutely could not carry the 6" long L2D, I'd consider the L1D single AA, but it's still 4" long so I'd lose a lot of capability for such a small saving in size.
No AAA light excites me at all.