Received A2 and G2 today

JohnRussell

Newly Enlightened
After posting some questions here, I ordered a SF A2 and G2 LED from Optics HQ. Thanks to Kobi at Optics for great service and to forum members, especially Dm51, for suggesting Opticshq.

I have used both lights toinght and I appreciate each. My wife loves he G2 LED because of the color and it is straightforward to operate and very bright. She finds the A2 "finicky." Guess I will not get her a multi function light for Christmas as planned.

We live in the country and appreciate the brightness of both the A2 and the G2 lED. The A2 seems to be a "classic" and I am sure we will both grow to love it. The yellow G2 LED was easier to love out of the box because (1) the push button switch is easy to operate (2) it is yellow and easy to find and (3) it is VERY bright for a small form factor light. I plan to make it my Every Day Carry light that I keep in my bag.

I will probably buy a couple more Yellow G2 LEDs because they are bright and easy to find. Having them around the house in locations where we need light will be useful.

The A2 with the red LED is by my bedside for general purpose use and the night raids on the fridge.

I hope to but some other "classic" lights that have good functionality. I did buy the ARC-DS for my keychain light and the easy operation and brightness of that light make it another "classic" light for me.

What is missing for now is a VERY BRIGHT classic light that I can use to see the noises at the far end of my seven acres. I am thinking of something like a Tigerlight or maybe one of the HID spotlights, but more reading and research to come....

Thanks for the help

JR

iholla

Newly Enlightened
I love my G2 LED--I have that for the car.
also have a reg G2 for the other car or maybe get me another G2L for it.

For my fridge attacks I play with my Kroma:thumbsup: that I got for a steal

djblank87

Enlightened
What is missing for now is a VERY BRIGHT classic light that I can use to see the noises at the far end of my seven acres. I am thinking of something like a Tigerlight or maybe one of the HID spotlights, but more reading and research to come....

Thanks for the help

JR

JR, in my opinion you cant go wrong with a TL, great stuff there I have a couple of them and it is money well spent. :twothumbs

Also a nice HID spot light would add a nice touch to your new lights that are en-route to you.

A2 great choice :naughty:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enjoy your new lights. FWIW to you, I only own two Surefire incandescents--one is a Y/G A2, the other is an M6.

Am I suggesting something as your second purchase ?

you bet!!!

JohnRussell

Newly Enlightened
The TL is a tempting light -- I checked the M6 and at 250 plus lumens, that must be a lot of light, maybe seven acres worth of light. I plan to check it out and compare to the TL for a powerful and classic light.

Thanks
JR

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations on your new Surefires! As time goes by and you really start to use them and probably more importantly, start to depend on them, I think you will be very happy with your choices.:thumbsup:

Bob

mousehunter

Newly Enlightened
+1 for Optics HQ. Very helpful and friendly people. Shipping was quick too. Intend to shop with them again.

I just got in first batch of Christmas lights - 6PL's

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TL is a tempting light -- I checked the M6 and at 250 plus lumens, that must be a lot of light, maybe seven acres worth of light. I plan to check it out and compare to the TL for a powerful and classic light.

Thanks
JR

The SureFire lumens ratings are very conservative. The M6 LOLA (MN20) is noticeably brighter than the TL and is more like 350 to 400 lumens depending on the state of the batteries, and the HOLA (MN21) totally blows it away in terms of output and is more like 600+ lumens.

However, that said, the TL with Gen4 LA (275 lumens) is a real thrower and I find that it pretty much throws as far as the M6, but doesn't illuminate quite as large an area. But, if you want more light, you can go to the 375 lumen LA, which is pretty much as bright as the MN20, and still gives 40+ minutes of runtime--but you need the Premium Pack. The standard pack won't drive the 375.

The TL is an amazing bang for the buck and has a unique and impressive design. My thread, The Complete Guide to the TigerLight goes into the design, but it isn't a review thread, and it isn't finished at the moment. And you can click on the Gen4 LA and Premium pack links in my sigline below.

Their both great lights, and I own both, but if money is an issue, the TL is the clear choice, IMO. If money isn't an issue, it's more up in the air, but the M6 is one helluva light, although, in stock form, it isn't rechargeable, of course. Lot's of parameters to consider; it all depends on what you need/want, etc. And keep in mind that you can use the MN15 in the M6 (see my X-LOLA link in my sigline) for 200 lumens for 2.5 hours. Very impressive light in this configuration. 200 lumens might not sound like much, but it's plenty, and the lower draw rate on the 123's means the beams stays white and bright for longer through the run.

A short list of things I like about both:

M6:

1. SI bezel
2. True rear tactical LOTC.
3. Highest possible quality build. Has an "it" factor. High speed low drag.

TL

1. Very good value.
2. Very good throw.
3. Rechargeable. (Although, believe it or not, in many ways I prefer 123's over rechargeable these days.)

JohnRussell

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jim for the comments about the Tl and the M6. Each of these lights look spectacular.

Your comments about function or how it will be used may help to sort out the issue for me.

I live in a rural area. Power often goes out. It is pretty dark even when we do have lights and there are critters and other things out in the dark that sometimes need to be illuminated. Sometimes they are a ways away.

I light that depends on rechargeable batteries has a slight downside for me because I view such the kind of light I am looking for as a necessity when everything else has gone black and it could stay that way for some time.

So, the issue is really about an insurance light ... you pay the money to make sure than when it is needed it works. I don't need it to bang an intruder over the head or for other such purposes, but I do need a no questions asked source of very bright and reliable light when all else has failed.

Thanks,
JR

ps my wife is loving the A2, especially the red leds. She asked if I can find her a head lamp in red or some othe color so she can read when she wakes during the night. The G3 has been a pleasure to use so far and I am thinking of getting a couple more to stash around the house where we need lights. Very pleased with the quality of the lights.....