Fenix AAA Help...

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I am planning to purchase a few new lights from Fenix all in the AAA form factor. I already have a few of the LODs from the clearance section in my cart as well as one of the E1 versions. I am now trying to decide between my last light to add and have the LOD CE and the LOD-RB80 to choose from.

I know the details of both lights and have a few Cree lights already so I know what to expect from the LOD CE....the Rebel is a mystery to me as a search shows very little in actual comparisons....so here is what I like and advise on which light is more to my liking.

I like a cool almost crystal white to blue tint and also like a smooth beam. I am not big on warmer tints or very floody beams. Most of the higher priced Cree lights I have seen all tend to be pretty white and consistent however rings are common in the beam. I did see some beamshots of the LOD CE that were smooth so maybe that will not be an issue with the CE version. I like the idea of newer more efficient emitter in the Rebel however are they known to be as white of tint as the Cree. I like the textured reflector on the Rebel version and will most likely go with that one however wished to hear from some actual owners of the R80 version.....is it as nicely tinted as the Cree versions?

Luminescent

Enlightened
I am planning to purchase a few new lights from Fenix all in the AAA form factor. I already have a few of the LODs from the clearance section in my cart as well as one of the E1 versions. I am now trying to decide between my last light to add and have the LOD CE and the LOD-RB80 to choose from.

I know the details of both lights and have a few Cree lights already so I know what to expect from the LOD CE....the Rebel is a mystery to me as a search shows very little in actual comparisons....so here is what I like and advise on which light is more to my liking.

I like a cool almost crystal white to blue tint and also like a smooth beam. I am not big on warmer tints or very floody beams. Most of the higher priced Cree lights I have seen all tend to be pretty white and consistent however rings are common in the beam. I did see some beamshots of the LOD CE that were smooth so maybe that will not be an issue with the CE version. I like the idea of newer more efficient emitter in the Rebel however are they known to be as white of tint as the Cree. I like the textured reflector on the Rebel version and will most likely go with that one however wished to hear from some actual owners of the R80 version.....is it as nicely tinted as the Cree versions?

A L0D CREE light would probably be your best bet. The Rebels tend run neutral to warm white, and CREEs run neutral to cool white. A nice bright Q5 CREE L0D light will probably be along shortly if you wait a bit.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My girlfriend has the L0D-CE, and it just so happens that the size and geometry of the reflector completely eliminates the Cree rings. In fact, after buying it for her, I was envious of her flawless beam compared to my P1D-CE (P4). I ended up forking out for the P1D-CE Premium Q5 with MOP reflector just to be happy again.

If it is the cooler tint you are looking for, the Cree is the one you want. I am not aware of plans for a Q5 edition anytime soon, but if there is, expect maximum output to be in the 62-65 lumens range.

Robocop

Thanks for the input and it sounds like the Cree is what I am looking for. I really had little experience with the Rebels anyway and the small increase in brightness would probably never be noticed. I was a little worried as to the beam however the few beamsots I saw of the LOD-CE showed no rings at all.

I would like to wait for the Q5 however would like to have these before Christmas so I will go with the standard version Cree for now. I am sure it will be brighter than the old LOP version I have carried daily for a very long time now. I have been very happy with that light and the use of the Hybrid Ravoyac cells have done very well. From what I have read the new Cree versions do just as well with Ni-Mh rechargeables and also even better with the Li-Ion of which I already have 4 cells ready....thanks again for the help.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have read the new Cree versions do just as well with Ni-Mh rechargeables and also even better with the Li-Ion of which I already have 4 cells ready....thanks again for the help.

Of course, Li-ion puts 3.7 volts out, rather than the 1.5 expected of an alkaline cell. Fenix were clever in designing their circuits to allow the use of higher voltages. The circuit goes into direct drive, giving a substantially higher output than on a regular cell. This is great for short-use bursts. However, there is not alot of metal on a L0D for heat dissipation. Run it for a long time in this overdriven state, and that 50,000 hour lifetime of the Cree emitter will drop significantly. Just food for thought.

gunga

Flashaholic
Note, I have seen or gone through 4 cree LODs. THey all had some ringyness in the beam and hotspot.

It's not quite as bad as the old smooth reflector cree P1D/L1D etc, but it's definitely not ring-free.

It's a bit more of a thrower compared to the rebel from what I've read.

I may get a rebel someday, but the rebels don't work well with 10440 (while is Cree is a bit better, though not endorsed by Fenix).

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just got the streamlight microstream and straight away took off the head and use the LOD SE modded with SSC P4 head with the microstream body and the results is nice little tactical clicky with some muscles :D

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems odd that the Rebel does not throw as well. Being a smaller die, it behaves more like a point-like light source. The point-source is the theoretical ideal for monster throw. I assume that Fenix did not change the shape of the reflector for the Rebel, and that is why throw is lost.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
my L0D-CE's also appear to lack the characteristic Cree "donut" ring found in other smooth reflector Fenix lights. undoubtedly, the reflector geometry and relative emitter placement has something to do with this.

however, when used for very close up work, a slight ring is sometimes noticeable, but stil MUCH, MUCH better than the larger Fenix lights with smooth reflectors.

my preference leans more toward artifact-free beam patterns possessing just enough throw to get the job-at-hand accomplished.

didn't know that the L0D had a RB80 version. would have purchased one (or two) by now.

TTFN, ("ta' ta' for now" as Tigger says) need to bounce over to the FenixStore to look for a L0D-RB80 or two.

Robocop

I believe I will take my chances on a possibly ringy beam pattern in order to have a better tinted Cree. I have had good results in the past with lightly spraying a clear coat paint on reflectors to smooth things out and if my CE has rings I will try that maybe. Honestly I dont believe I will notice if it is very minor.

Much of my Cree experience comes from trying to adapt standard reflectors to fit and the results are always horrible. maybe Fenix did the best job possible with such a small reflector as I have read more good than bad on the LOD-CE.....I will keep you posted as to how it all works out when I receive my order.

steelagman

Newly Enlightened
Might want to checkout the seasonal section @ Fenix Store, there is a Red LOD Q4 avialable for the holiday season. I know everyone is hoping for the LOD Q5 or LOD R100 but not clear they are coming anytime soon and would only be expected to be a slight improvement over the Q4 (probabably not perceptable in use). Happy holiday!

Robocop

I did see the red Q4 and the output is tempting however the color is a deal breaker for me personally.....never really liked any color other than black or HA type. I am curious as to why Fenix only has the Q4 so far only in red?

I have had several Fenix lights and in my opinion their gray color style wears better than any other lights I own. All of my black ones wore pretty badly with keychain carry however my old gray colored P1 still looks new after rattling around in my pockets and even being carried as a small back up on duty at times.

steelagman

Newly Enlightened
I did see the red Q4 and the output is tempting however the color is a deal breaker for me personally.....never really liked any color other than black or HA type. I am curious as to why Fenix only has the Q4 so far only in red?

I have had several Fenix lights and in my opinion their gray color style wears better than any other lights I own. All of my black ones wore pretty badly with keychain carry however my old gray colored P1 still looks new after rattling around in my pockets and even being carried as a small back up on duty at times.

I agree with your assessment that the natural color holds up best and that would have been my preference, but I could not keep myself from pulling the trigger. I've had an Fenix E1 on my keychain for a while and have been holding off for awhile on an upgrade until I saw something that I thought would be a dramatic improvement. Fenix rated E1 @ 12 lumens I think so I'm going from 12 lumens to 30 lumens on mdeium and 76 on high.

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, everybody. The LOD RB80 I picked up for my son for Christmas came in a couple of days ago. This thread provided the perfect reason to pull it out and, ah, make sure it works OK. Smooth, floody beam, with tint just a little bit on the warm side of white - just the way I like it. Tint didn't change much from one level to another. Ridiculous amount of light for such a little thing. Am now trying to figure out what I was thinking - I'm going to give this away...why?

Cheers

Robocop

I went ahead and placed my order for the LOD-CE as well as one of the clearance LOD versions (great deal with the coupon at 30 dollars) and lastly the E1....threw in one of those keep2go tubes for kicks. I should receive my order shortly and will hope the LOD-CE is as nice as I have read. Thanks again for the help with this thread.