How good is this DX light?

iced_theater

Enlightened
I'm helping a guy I work with find a light for him to use at work. His requirements are less than $50, use AA batteries as we get them free from work, also he prefers slightly more throw than flood.

I was originally going to ask about 10-12 lights, but have since narrowed everything down. So my only question is has anyone used this DX light? I'm curious how it compares to the Fenix L2T v2.0RB80.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6973
https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=335&osCsid=cf46eff1d1e2f9ea5602dcee1077b39c

curry__muncha

Newly Enlightened
im guessing most of the responses are gonnna be like "get a fenix"... but thats only coz we're all a bunch of fenix whores.. ;).. :p

but the DX one has pretty high rating. Defninitely worth the price.

I'm helping a guy I work with find a light for him to use at work. His requirements are less than $50, use AA batteries as we get them free from work, also he prefers slightly more throw than flood.

I was originally going to ask about 10-12 lights, but have since narrowed everything down. So my only question is has anyone used this DX light? I'm curious how it compares to the Fenix L2T v2.0RB80.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6973
<fenix>

If he'll be using alkaline, the Mag Instrument, Inc's Minimag 2AA LED and the 3AA LED are both good choices.

DX: Expect a lead time of 4-6 weeks. The 1AA version of the similar light I bought had a design flaw. The metal reflector's bottom rim pushed against the LEDs electrically active parts and shorted across when the reflector was tightened down. Quality did not feel very good either.

Fenix: specs are published based on NiMH. It does not perform the same on alkaline.
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Fenix_L2T_LED_Flashlight.php see the "NiMH" in paranthesis?

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was for yourself, I'd say get the DX. Have a bit of fun at little cost.

But, for a gift, I'd steer clear of one with "Tonch" written on it - that just screams "cheap".

curry__muncha

Newly Enlightened
lol.. after reading those 2 posts ive realised how ignorant my post was ><.. lol..

yeah, im guessing go with the fenix.. it should provide better runtimes than the DX ones with alky. Definitely more worth it in the long run.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF you have the green ready, then get the Fenix. If not get the DX. You would love the quality of Fenix compared to DX flashlights (Well at least i do)

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
iced theater (what a COOOL name)

I am expecting delievery of the DX one these days. Stay tuned for impressions & measuremnts...

iced_theater

Enlightened
Well he's going to be getting the Fenix at some point. Wants a better light than what were given at work *can't blame him as they are just re-branded Rayovac 2D incandescent lights.

I like my Fenix P3D CE so I already know how good of quality they are. Does anyone know how well the L2T v2.0 RB80 does on alkalines?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the WF-606A?

It uses 2AA, has a good throw beam and very sturdy build quality.
Check out my review for output photos and some more comments.

+1 on this. In fact I was going to suggest this today mysefl. have one it is good, upgradable easilty to a higher bin, and of you replace the rubber cap it will tailstand.

Unless your friend needs a light in the form of a Fenix L2 or Ultrafire C3 this flashlight is a go.

I know it can be a hard choice....

best of luck...Kostas

gOhAsE

Newly Enlightened
... and of you replace the rubber cap it will tailstand.

No! The actual version of this light comes with a rubber cap that is identical with the orange or GITD ones from DX. There is nor more aluminium puck inside the switch.
So if you replace it it still won't tailstand now.

But I have to agree - the WF606A is well built and looks really nice and expensive. IMO no typical "chinese light".

iced_theater

Enlightened
It's too bad the runtime on high with alkalines is only 30 minutes or so for the Fenix. Worse when our work will give us half dead Rayovac batteries. I'll have to show him how much better it would be to use NIMH batteries.

I got another guy to use the KD 3xSSC light. He liked it much more than his Pelican M3 3370.

Now just to convert everyone else :p

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
I have bought a few of the cheap LED lights this year. My experience is they have not been bargains: most of them have or had some sort of problems. That's might be OK for a hobbyist who can tinker with them, or is using them in non-critical situations.

But if I needed something reliable, or to give to someone who is not my enemy, I'd go with at least a Fenix level light.