MTE Rebel 20-Modes AA Flashlight C3 - 70101 User Guide

JuanMijangos

Newly Enlightened
I just receive my flashlight from DX and after a couple hours of testing, I finally know how to change modes and groups.

Definitions
Low blink - light turns off for about 1/8 second.
Blink - light turns off for about 1/2 second.

The flashlight came with 20 modes in 3 groups as follow
1 Weak-Lo-Mid-Hi-Standby-10 second Beacon (Note:Group-shifting signal on Standby Mode)
2 Lo-Mid-Hi-Fast strobe-Warning strobe-SOS (Note:Group-shifting signal on Hi Mode)
3 Lo-Mid-Hi-Fast strobe-Warning strobe-3Hz Slow strobe-1Hz Slow strobe-SOS(Note:Group-shifting signal on Hi Mode)

To change modes
Turn on your flashlight.
Look very carefully at the light.
After 2 seconds you will see a low blink indicating that the mode is saved.
To change mode, simply soft press the switch two times.
Continue to soft press the switch until de desired mode is reached.
After 2 seconds you will see a low blink indicating that the mode is saved.

To change group.
Turn on your flashlight.
Change to the Hi mode in group 2 or 3 or standby in group 1
(To help identify the group 1, is the only one with the 10 second beacon.)
You will see a low blink.
After 3 seconds you will see a blink.
If you soft press after the blink you will change group.
If you dont want to change group, wait 2 seconds and you will see a low blink.

Hope this helps

I really like this flashlight. Its very well constructed, with a lot of grip surface, and with enougth modes to satisfy anyone. It doesnt have the strobe effect in low modes like the JetBeam MKII.

Juan.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, that looks more like a brainchallenge-game than a flashlight UI...

Allthough the light looks really nice, it doesnt seem to be that practical, the UI is mildly insane.

But thanks for figuring out how the UI works, I saw that there are plenty of people on the DX-board who wants to know.
Nice work!:thumbsup:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
That UI seems absolutely useless to me.
I don't want to spend a minute trying to get to the appropriate mode every time I need to use my flashlight. And what genius had the idea of switchable groups, anyway? It'd be quicker and easier to just give the light memory and have the modes set up one after the other.

Ble

Newly Enlightened
This light only have ten real modes, so I think it would be a lot better to make two groups:

GROUP 1 (Light levels and beacon)
- Weak
- Lo
- Mid
- Hi
- 10 second Beacon (Group-shifting)

GROUP 2
- Fast strobe
- Warning strobe
- 3Hz Slow strobe
- 1Hz Slow strobe
- SOS (Group-shifting)

This is logical and much more usable to me. I can avoid "Group 2" modes that I rarely use, but they are there just in case you need it.

Last edited:

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
I have installed this circuit in one of my lights and while it's not perfect, it's not that hard to use. It took me 2 minutes to figure out, the instructions on DX for the circuit tell you how to switch the modes, DX needs to keep their item descriptions updated and post the circuit info on the webpage for this light because many people will have no idea to look on the page for the circuit itself. Main group, turn off/on in standby to switch groups, 2nd and 3rd group turn it off/on in High to switch groups. So far I just leave it in the first group all the time, I like the beacon (very brief flash every 4 seconds, probably a very long runtime) and the 4th mode of a genuine low-low that is lacking from almost all circuits and lights. I don't ever have to bother with the other groups of strobes and SOS if I don't want to, however it is there if I need it.

I do agree with Ble that they could have just split it into 2 groups, with one being the standard settings and the second being the flashing settings. If someone liked switching from strobe/SOS to a standard output mode very quickly, it would be a bit more of a hassle though.

The thing I don't like about it is that it whines/hums noticeably in the lower 2 or 3 modes. I think it might be a matter of luck on whether or not many of the circuits out there make any noise, the one I have installed is annoying though. JuanMijangos, does your light make any high-pitched whining noise in any of the settings, the lower ones in particular? How do you like the light otherwise, how is the beam and output on high?

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
Mine whines on low and medium settings but i only hear it if it is completely quiet.

Thanks for letting me know. I get annoyed by the noise, some people probably don't mind at all. If it is quiet, I can hear it at about arm's length. I have another circuit that also whines, but I have to have the light within about 1' to hear it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be a lot better to make three groups like this:

GROUP 1 (Increasing light levels and beacon)
- Weak
- Lo
- Mid
- Hi

GROUP 2 (Decreasing light levels and beacon)
- Hi
- Mid
- Lo
- Weak

GROUP 3
- Fast strobe
- Warning strobe
- 3Hz Slow strobe
- 1Hz Slow strobe
- SOS (Group-shifting)

An alternative GROUP 2 would be
- Hi
- Fast strobe (Group-shifting)
Like turbo mode in the Fenix -D torches.

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
actually i'm using SSC P4 from DX and power it up with 1x18650.
new video with better encoding is coming , stay tuned.
i use this driver - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7879

Oh ok, I thought you were using the boost circuit that is in this MTE light, that would have been a bad idea. So this circuit uses the same 20 mode chip then, with the 4 output levels in the first group of settings, and 3 different 'groups'? It does look like the same manufacturer so I assume it's the exact same mode setup.

sims2k

Enlightened
Received my C3 today and for a couple hours tried to figure out how to change the modes. Thanks to all that have written the guides as to how to program this light. Very bright light indeed from a single AA...way brighter than the 2AA mini maglite incan.