Q5 Kitchen Undercabinet Lighting

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
To cap off a recent kitchen remodel, I build some undercabinet lighting using a dozen Cree Q5 stars, fabricated housings, and a couple Xitanium drivers I got from the Shoppe.

The housings were fabricated from extruded aluminum shapes welded together.

I wanted sealed units to protect the LEDs from dirt, grease, and damage so I cut lenses from impact modified acrylic.

I experimented with different methods to soften the light and the multi-shadow effect. The acrylic comes with a protective layer of plastic film, one side clear the other translucent white. I left the white layer on to act as the diffuser, and in addition I used a yellow highlighter and colored in circles right under the LEDs. The yellow warmed up the tint of the WG emitters noticeably.

The lenses were attached to the housings with 3M aeromarine radio box tape, a waterproof clear tape used for RC models.

kitchenledjm7.jpg

kitchenledaov5.jpg

kitchenledbdb1.jpg

One Xitanium driver powers two lights (9 LEDs), and the other powers the light to the right of the sink with 3 LEDs. The switched 110V line was already in place under each cabinet from the removed flourescent fixtures, so I just had to run the wires to and from the drivers.

For serviceability, I used Dean's micro plugs at each housing so I could easily remove them.

kitchenundercabhf0.jpg

In the above picture note the black electrical tape on the very left side of the lens. I masked the emitter next to the cabinet to reduce the glare off the wood. It was very bright due to the proximity.

kitchenbeam3hh6.jpg

kitchenledbeamjy1.jpg

kitchenledbeam2zf1.jpg

The LED units are much brighter and give better coverage over the previous flourescents, not to mention the energy saved. Also I don't miss the flicker, hum, and heat of the old fixtures. Another improvement is that the lights are slim and completely recessed under the cabinet. The flourescent fixtures were thicker and protruded below the cabinet recess, and were in the line of sight.

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Wow... very nice job Dennis! :thumbsup:

Any idea on how much more efficient one of these fixtures are than a flourescent of comparable size/output?

Cool! :)
john

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exceptional work. When using bare power LEDs, balancing shadow harshness and output loss due to using a diffuser is rather tricky. I think you achieved a nice compromise between the two.

JDWilson

Newly Enlightened
Now that's talent. I too am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and am considering the same thing. I originally thought that the Q5s for this would be too much light but actually I now think it's perfect. Great Job

:thumbsup:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... very nice job Dennis! :thumbsup:

Any idea on how much more efficient one of these fixtures are than a flourescent of comparable size/output?

Cool! :)
john

Thanks John,

I'm using 350mA Xitanium drivers, and the Vf of the Crees at that current is 3.1-3.2V. So all 12 LEDs are powered by 13-14 watts. The Xitanium drivers are 80% efficient, so consumed power is about 17 watts.

The removed flourescent lights had a total of 5 tubes totalling 47 watts. So the LEDs use about 1/3 of the power while delivering more overall, better quality, and maintenance free light.

Last edited:

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Looking good, Led Zeppelin! Really gives a pleasant atmosphere it seems.

Two questions, please:

1. what BIN did you use for your Crees - specifically, are these 6500 degrees kelvin or something warmer?

2. what is you diffuser panel made of? I am always concerned that I will loose too much light using a diffuser. But harsh shadows persist without them.

I salute your project!

Jeff O.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff, I bought WG tint stars from DX. The odd thing is that the anti-static packaging was labeled "WB-Q5" in handwriting. So it is possible they are actually WB tint which is on the blue side.

The stock tint was indeed very cool, thus the yellow highlighter circles to warm it up.

The diffuser panel is impact modified acrylic (from Lowe's) with the white protective film left on. As is the acrylic is nearly touching the LED dome. To further diffuse the light and soften the shadows, the lens could be moved further away from the LED. Even 1/8" would make a big difference while not significantly increasing the housing height.

There are certainly more efficient diffuser lenses and products out there, but I had plenty of light to work with and losing a bit to the diffuser was not an issue.

Spareair

Newly Enlightened
As a contractor and a very "rententive" person about lighting a home I am realy impressed........

Now that I am no longer a noob.......I am affraid to show tis to my wife....

really nice job

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you get the extruded aluminum and where did you get Dean's micro plugs?
Thanks,
Mike

The alum is from Lowe's. The stars mount to the back 1 1/2" X 1/8" flat bar, the sides are 1/2" U shaped channels, and the endcaps are 1/2" X 1/8" bar.

The Dean's plugs came from the local hobby shop in the RC supplies section. They are the Micro Plug 2R version, (red polarized), part # 1222. They work great, are very reliable, and very tiny.

weed099

Newly Enlightened
Thats sweet, I wish I had any kind of electrical knowhow for such things.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job, nice tiles too.
But............. I was reading this and had to answer the door, meanwhile the wife came and looked at the "nice lights" pics on the PC. Looks like I'll be trying to do something like this sometime.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job, nice tiles too.
But............. I was reading this and had to answer the door, meanwhile the wife came and looked at the "nice lights" pics on the PC. Looks like I'll be trying to do something like this sometime.

Lol Essexman, the tiles were much more difficult than the lights. Hopefully you'll be tackling the lights and not the tiles.

My wife will be happy someone noticed the tiles.

Latest posts