Fenix led

jugg2

Enlightened
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and I have a quick question. I already own a surefire G2 with 65 lumen output, and I was looking at the Fenix AAx2 leds. On turbo the put out around 170-180 lumens. I would like something with a little more throw than the G2 and I almost bought a 9P, but if the Fenix has more significantly more reach than my G2 wouldn't I be better of with it? Due to the price of CR123A batteries. Thanks guys!

IcantC

Enlightened
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and I have a quick question. I already own a surefire G2 with 65 lumen output, and I was looking at the Fenix AAx2 leds. On turbo the put out around 170-180 lumens. I would like something with a little more throw than the G2 and I almost bought a 9P, but if the Fenix has more significantly more reach than my G2 wouldn't I be better of with it? Due to the price of CR123A batteries. Thanks guys!

They are different lights, but note sure which Fenix you are talking about. If it has a smooth reflector and is meant to throw, yes you will be better off with it.

OR you can upgrade the G2 with a new dropin from Malkoff or the bugoutgear Q5. Though I think if you want to run the light for extended times, you would want a metal body Surefire.

You could also buy some nice Rechargeables for the G2. Only thing I hate is CR123's for is availability and price :whistle:.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't know if throw will be any better.
the G2 has a bigger reflector than the Fenix 2xAA lights.
bigger reflector means more throw.
the Fenix will have a little bit brighter overall light though.

also the G2 starts off brighter than the stated 65lumens and the Fenix light lumens are slightly overrated.

also, if you plan to use regular alkaline AA batteries, then you won't see the full potential of the Fenix 2xAA lights.
here is a chevrofreak's graph showing the Fenx L2D-CE(2xAA) with different batteries:
http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/Fenix L2D CE/Fenix L2D CE - max.png

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
:welcome: The Fenix won't out-throw the G2. Fenix makes very good lights for the money and a 2AA would be nice because of the availablitiy of the batteries. You might also consider a Lumens Factory high output lamp for the G2. They sell for 13-15 bucks and some can be used with rechargable batteries. You can get the LF lamps at the Lighthound. By all means get a Fenix light, just don't expect it to be a big thrower..:)

jugg2

Enlightened
Thanks guys I would probably run at least energizer titanium in it but I would probably use the lithiums. About the G2 mod I will check that out! Could somone maybe provide a link to the website at least?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, look at this thread, it has most of the P60 compatible drop-ins.

In short, there are no Fenix Lights as of right now that can out throw the G2. The P3D-CE Q5 is probably about equal. They can out lumen the G2 but not significantly out throw thew G2 yet.

Do you have a price range, because there are many lights that will out throw the G2(usually not with AA batteries, but most use rechargeable batteries and/or can use Cr123 batteries).

Examples:
WF-600
MTE 5 mode Seoul
Ultrafire C2 Q5
(and many other cheap lights)
Dereelight DBS
Dereelight CL1H
Regalight WT1

:welcome:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
also the G2 starts off brighter than the stated 65lumens and the Fenix light lumens are slightly overrated.

Fenix lights aren't over-rated, they are rating the emitter lumens, not the lumens out the front. Surefire is rating lumens out the front. Neither way is wrong, just different ways of rating the output.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
WadeF, yes you are correct.

i simply wanted the OP to know that his 65lumen G2's brightness would not be much of a difference from the 180 lumen L2D-CE.

i should've been more clearer with my answer.

Marduke

Flashaholic
In short, there are no Fenix Lights as of right now that can out throw the G2. The P3D-CE Q5 is probably about equal. They can out lumen the G2 but not significantly out throw thew G2 yet.

The Fenix T1 may change that, we shall see within a few weeks...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the G2 will give 65 lumens for 60 minutes. It may start out a bit higher than that, and it may end up a bit lower than that at the end of the 60 minutes. The Fenix will be 180 lumens at the emitter, which should be around 130-140 lumens out the front, for 2.4 hours on 2-AA, while the G2 is on 2xCR123's. Going from 65 lumens (avg. out the front lumens for 60 minutes) to 130-140 is double the light, and would be a noticeable difference, I wouldn't call it "not much of a difference".

I happen to have a G2, and a P3D Rebel (closest thing I have to the L2D) and while the Fenix may put out more total light, the G2 P60 incan does appear to out throw it. On my LUX meter the Fenix was around 2,000LUX and the G2 around 5,000LUX! My P3D Rebel has a larger hot spot and more spill, so it depends on what kind of beam you're looking for. Even the Malkoff M60 Q2 was a little behind the P60 incan for throw on the LUX meter. The Malkoff was reading in the 4,000's.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
$70-80 max

The Dereelight CL1H with a Q5 module is at the limits of your price range but it should out throw the G2 and is also pretty easy to upgrade(you don't have to buy a new light, just a new module)

There are many choices but most are under $30 but quality is nowhere close to Surefire's(Still pretty good for the price and will do fine for everyday use). The better ones are very close or a bit over your price range.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If if your looking at the Fenix but you want more throw than the G2 then you should look at the Olights available from Batteryjunction. They are comparible in price and quality to Fenix but have a tighter spot with less spill which gives them more throw than the Fenix. They are available in a 1AA--1CR123--And a 2CR123 version.

Good Luck.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If if your looking at the Fenix but you want more throw than the G2 then you should look at the Olights available from Batteryjunction. They are comparible in price and quality to Fenix but have a tighter spot with less spill which gives them more throw than the Fenix. They are available in a 1AA--1CR123--And a 2CR123 version.

Good Luck.

This may not be true with the new Fenix T1, which has a larger smooth reflector than the other Fenix lights.

Also flashlightreviews had the G2's overall output at 5200, and the Fenix L2D-CE at 8800, and that was the old version, not the new Q5 version, which would probably be more in the 10,000 range.

The Dereelight CL1H V3 with a 2 or 3 stage Digital Q5 module at 1A or 1.2A will out throw the G2 easily with the smooth reflector installed. G2 was giving me around 5,000LUX on my meter, the CL1H V3 with 3-stage Q5 gives me 9,300LUX! The new 1.2A Q5 modules from Dereelight would be a little higher yet.

Also the quality of the new V3 Dereelight is excellent, and the quality exceeds the G2. It's the closest to Surefire quality out of all their products I've tried. The tail switch is the only iffy part and sometimes takes a litle adjusting, but mine have been working flawlessly after a slight adjustment. Keep in mind the switch is designed to be taken in and out to change the tail cap (GITD, low profile for tailstand, etc), so it may need some adjustment when you do this. It's a very modular light, which means it's easy to upgrade. It's not like Surefire has never had a bad tail switch, we hear about them all the time. The Dereelight Q5 pills (module) should be around 250-270 emitter lumens at 1A or 1.2A. I'd expect 200 lumens out the front or a little more.

I have a full review of the CL1H V3 here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178042

You can click on the pics for a higher resolution version if you'd like to inspect the quality. :)

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite different reflector geometries and optics, the torch lumen/emiiter(bulb) lumen ratio is pretty much constant.

For an incandescent...
torch lumens = 0.65 x bulb lumens

For an LED (due to the directional nature of an emitter)
torch lumens = 0.70 x bulb lumens.

So, in 'Fenix Lumens', the G2 is actually 100 lumens.

In 'Surefire Lumens', the L2D-CE Q5 is 126 lumens

Of course, this is total output. For throw, the bigger head and incandescent nature of the G2 give it the advantage.