Help Needed...Non-Incendive/Spark Free Flashlights for Tanker Truck Driver

Tolly

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys, I could use y'alls expertise on something. Here's the deal...

I have a good friend who is a truck driver. He just started hauling gasoline and other highly flammable/explosive, liquids/materials, and he needs a good flashlight that won't get him blown up.

He knows nothing about flashlights and I am a relative newbie when it comes to the latest and greatest light sources as well, but I would like to buy him a decent light for general purpose use when he is out on the road.

He has told me that he does not want a tiny little light that fits in the palm of your hand, because for one thing it would be too easy to lose, and for another, he just doesn't want something that is really small. I think it goes without saying that the light needs to be rugged and at least water resistant/drop resistant.

He also doesn't need a gigantic 3lb spotlight either. Basically he needs something that it is easy enough to carry around and check out things on the trailer and rig at night, and also contents of tanks. The light still needs to be small enough for the light head to be able to fit into places like tank openings, in and around axle assemblies and what not. It might also be a bonus if there was a light that met all of the above criteria and could also be sat down on the ground or trailer by way of some type of bracket so that it could be used hands free.

As far as the beam is concerned, maybe an equal balance of throw and flood, I really do not know what would be best. Brightness is always a plus, but runtime is more important to this individual as is use of easy to find inexpensive batteries.

I realize that I haven't given a lot of information to help with selection guys, but I have no idea where to even begin. I sure could use some help and any assistance offered will be greatly appreciated.

The main thing here is that the light will be used around highly flammable and explosive materials so it needs to be rated for that environment. I just don't want to see my good friend get hurt or killed becuase of a cheap flashlight he bought at Wal-Mart, so I want to get him "the right tool for the job" so to speak.

Thanks Guys!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at Pelican and UnderWater Kinetics. Both make lights rated as non hazardous/non sparking. Both are quality manufacturers.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a long time ago that I recommended this light (a year ago or so I found myself and preytt much everybody recommending this light for almost any purpose), but I think the legendary Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxon LED should suit him. IIRC it's hazard rated .
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

The runtime is good, and it uses universally available AAs. It's not tiny, but not big either. And the durability is insane from what I've heard. Typically, I can't find the link. But there was one guy who did repeated drops from a very high crane, it survived more drops than you would believe. The only thing is that the beam is a bit of a spot, but you said yourself that you didn't know what suited him the most. There is also a multiled version, with longer runtime. And they aren't that expencive either, so he won't worry too much if he missplaces it and such. A good workhorse light.

The UK 4AA are also highly regarded here, and I think those are also hazard rated, you might check up more on the individual models.

Oh, almost forgot. :welcome:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican SuperSabrelite is my light of choice.. Barbolight would probably work, but I don't know if they're officially rated for such (SuperSabrelite is)

Tolly

Newly Enlightened
Look at Pelican and UnderWater Kinetics. Both make lights rated as non hazardous/non sparking. Both are quality manufacturers.

Would you be talking about the same UK lights that I carry when SCUBA diving??

Should I be looking at LED version or other??

Thanks for the recommendations, keep them coming. I hadn't thought about a headlamp. I think I will get him a headlamp as well as a handheld.

This place is great!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Underwater Kenetics does make some HL rated lights. Not all lights they have are HL rated - but a few of them are..

I don't know about the HL rating of any headlamp.

Just because something is waterproof doesn't make it truly HL rated. It would probably be fine, but if the rating is important that is something to consider..

cedarcreek

Newly Enlightened
There are several old threads about safe flashlights. I prefer the terminology "approved for use in hazardous (classified) areas", but others call these "intrisically safe", "explosion proof", "hermetically sealed", and some other names.

check out these threads:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151813

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/155888

I own two Pelican Sabrelight 3Cs, and I love that light. In one of the thread links above I posted a video link that shows a guy beating it on the floor. I've seen them at Grainger if you need one fast, but you can get a lot better prices (like 1/2 price) from some of the vendors here.

http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2000

I see a lot of approved headlamps lately. Definitely something to consider---They're just so much more convenient. Another thing to consider is the LED thing for reliability, and probably improved runtime. Are there any approved LED lights that are inexpensive?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either pelican or streamlight make an explosion proof light specifically for this purpose. Someone mentioned it to me a while ago but I can't recall the details.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
I'm going to recommend a head lamp. Being able to do things hands free is a huge help and it seems like there's never a place to set your light and still get light where you need it.

Here is a respected and popular light that takes AA batteries:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_APEX.php

I will second Patriot on the PT Apex. I have both the regular and pro editions, the difference is in the batterys. The regular version uses 4 aa's while the pro uses 2 cr123's. If he is a truck driver than I would'nt reccommend the pro because even if by some miracle he found 123's on the road, the price would be "highway robbery" :crackup:!! But in all seriousness I would definetly reccommend the PT Apex regular version, It's not Hazourdous material rated but mine has never sparked on anything. And even though what I said about 123 batts, Surefire's G2 Nitrolon would be perfect for his needs. It is waterproof to 33 feet, made of non-conductive nitrolon and if he ever manged to break, mangle or disable it, surefire has the best customer service in the world, they are really amazing with their Customor service. And he could just order a box of twelve batts for 20 bucks from surefire when ever he needs them.
Good luck and :welcome:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I would also suggest the Propoly 4AA Luxeon. AA powered and good regulation.

And if you want to, swap the LED out for a Seoul for about double the output(the mod does seem hard).

Either that or a good headlamp.

:welcome:

Last edited:

cedarcreek

Newly Enlightened
...I would definetly reccommend the PT Apex regular version, It's not Hazourdous material rated but mine has never sparked on anything.

I'm sure the Apex is a great light. But not for a tanker driver. You need gear that's tested to be safe. Don't risk it. Make sure something like "Approved for Class 1, Div 1 hazardous locations" is molded into the plastic.

Tolly

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone, I will definitely be checking some of the Pelican lights out.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
I'm sure the Apex is a great light. But not for a tanker driver. You need gear that's tested to be safe. Don't risk it. Make sure something like "Approved for Class 1, Div 1 hazardous locations" is molded into the plastic.

Well, even though I don't think that this light will ever cause a problem, I do realize that safety is a concern and that it is better not to take the risk. I do still reccomend it though, as an all around in cabin light, or to say change a tire, but for looking into a tanker filled with im guessing gas fumes, maybe a rated light would be better.:D And you never did tel us what your freind would be hauling exactly, im guessing...... gas?

saildude

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight ProPoly 4AA LED & Luxon as well as the 2AA LED are also certified for haz. duty - the 4AA has one side of the case completely covered with type approvals - the 4AA Luxon has a nice spot with good throw - the 4AA LED has a wide diffused beam, a bit more friendly when working close up - the 2AA LED would probably also work but is a bit smaller than you seem to want - all of them have lanyard attach points so the light could be hung on something in the cab so maybe not get lost so easily - all of the above have 4 hours or so of real good light except for the 2AA which runs about 15 hours on 2 alk. Yellow cases to help from getting lost. The 2AA LED is small enough to fit in a pocket so always close by -

mb

richdsu

Newly Enlightened
I think those flashlights certified for usage by Coal Miners will definitely be suitable for Tanker Truck Driver.

:party:

Greenlead

Newly Enlightened
Pelican or Streamlight would be my recommendation.

I have a Streamlight Polystinger that works really well. It has the electronics of the Stinger, but in a plastic package. It is fully rated.

My only beef with the Polystinger is that the bulb tends to pop loose if the lens is rotated. Set the focus when you put the bulb in, and leave it set. You should be OK.

dano101

Enlightened
I use a Streamlight Haz-Lo headlamp abd it works great... but if you want the lamp to be handleld as well, try buying a streamlight product approved for class 1 division one (check their website) and if you need to mount it on a hardhat simply place a larger headlamp rubber strap around the hardhat and cut 2 slots to place the light. Id still however go with the haz-Lo.

Dano