c9000 break-in vs analyze

bcwang

Enlightened
I was thinking about this for a while. Is there any verified advantage to using the break-in mode on the C9000 such as improving cell capacity or longevity? I know normally it takes a few cycles for nimh to reach it's potential capacity, however it seems using the analyze refresh a few times or the cycle mode allows you to put a few cycles on the battery much quicker than waiting for the entire break-in cycle to finish.

If there is no real benefit to break-in other than having the full capacity ready right off the bat, then I'd forgo it as it ties up my charger for almost 2 whole days. If it does get the cell in better shape for the life of the cell, then it'd be worth the time. But with the number of batteries I have to go through, it is gonna be a while to put them all into service breaking in 4 at a time for 2 days.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bcwang,

Two different functions for two differing conditions...

Use Break-In with new cells, or cells that have been in longer time storage. Use Analyze or Cycle to refresh cells that have lost their "vibrancy."

Tom

bcwang

Enlightened
I know they are for two different functions, I'm just wondering how much benefit break-in actually does over not breaking in a cell and just using them. Before break-in was available on this new charger, we used to just start using new cells in our fast chargers, after a few cycles their capacities would be up to where they were supposed to be.

Has anyone done extended testing of cells that have been broken in vs those that haven't and noticed performance differences or life differences?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bcwang,

The purpose of the Break-In charge is to evenly distribute the electrolyte within the cell and to evenly saturate the separator. As you have indicated, cycling will do pretty much the same thing, however, you may run into false termination signals, or a lack of a termination signal, if you only use cycling.

It is my suspicion that "forming" the cell through cycling may cut into the cycle life of the cell, however I am not aware of any formal studies that have been done to explore this.

We also have to make another distinction. The forming charge is extremely important in multi cell applications, but may not be as important in single cell applications.

Tom

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is my suspicion that "forming" the cell through cycling may cut into the cycle life of the cell, however I am not aware of any formal studies that have been done to explore this.

Wow, this is new...
Think about it, it makes some sense. Long ago, when standard 16 hours overnight dumb chargers were common, so every new cell gets a proper forming. Nowadays, an average consumer will not have such 'advanced' equipment to do the forming because he/she will probably have a fast charger. That explains why majority of the people not getting more than 500 cycles out of their cells...?