Pt Impact2 or X5T?

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
I'm undecided between these two lights for wilderness canoe trip purposes. The usage I envisage for the light is finding campsites from a canoe 30-50 feet from shore and/or lighting trails and my way through the bush. I think the very narrow beam of the Impact will limit its usefulness. Does the X5 have enough throw for these uses?

There are no stores around here that stock these lights, so I can't do any hands on shopping…I'm relying on the experts! These two lights fit my budget and size constraints. There must be some other options out there also.

Blair

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the X5T will be too diffuse to allow you to see anything 30-50 feet away clearly. The Impact 2 would be a better choice in this case. It throws really far.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
boy, that is a toughie. i agree that the impact 2 would be best, overall. but a good flood is fantastic for hiking through the woods at night. LED is definitely the way to go.

there are several possibilities. you might consider a headlamp, such as the streamlight trident. you will then have a powerful incan for throw, and 3 LEDs for conserving battery power when you need less light.

look it up on brightguy. i think it is just under $30.

or, you could carry 2 small lights: i would suggest a Tec-40 for great throw, and perhaps a palight/attitude/opalec/eternalight. or, you might consider an aurora to go along with the tec-40.

hmmm. you might try to have the same batteries for everything. you could use a rage for finding shore and an attitude for hiking/etc. or replace the attitude with an aurora.

so many choices...it really depends upon your precise needs and budget.

good luck,
Bob

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Observations + An Option

Yep, the Impact II throws impressively far. It may not be the best choice for general campsite and trail use, though. It's a great spotting light, but doesn't give you much surrounding forest.

I use my Impact II on my job - checking building conditions during design and construction. It works well for that and has extraordinarily long battery life. I haven't camped since getting it, but probably won't use it when I do.

I think it comes down to burn time.

If you want a week away from civilization on 1 set of batteries, the Impact II is probably a reasonable choice. I haven't tried this, but understand that all the PT 4AAA lights can share heads. How about packing an Impact II plus an Attitude head? You would have good spotting ability; switch the head for puttering around camp and walking known trails.

If you're out for only a couple nights, I would consider a setup like I'll probably carry on my next camping trip - an Arc AAA or CMG Infinity Ultra for around camp and a Badboy 400 dropped into an old Maglite AA Minimag for when I need to light up the forest. The BB400 + normal accessories will run you about the same as the X5T. The BB400 will spot and spread much better than the Impact II, but only burn for a couple hours. That's why you'll need a second longer lasting light for around camp.

Have a great time on the water and outdoors!

RossB

Newly Enlightened
Re: Observations + An Option

Since you're in a canoe,perhaps you might consider instead the $24 +/- ST ProPolymer 4AAA 7LED. A few bucks more than the Impact, and less than the X5.

From the near corner of the back yard to the ugly fountain in the back corner (the previous owners installled it) is over 60 feet. The ST lights it up nice and clear.

RossB

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I agree with pedalinbob on the Tec 40. I own a PT Attitude and 2 Inova X5's and they are great floodlights for walking in the woods, but if you a good flashlight with throw at a very affordable price check out the PT Tec 40. It's not an LED, but it's worth it.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
forgot to mention: if you get a Tec 40, you can make it more grippy-when-wet by slipping a 1.25" piece of innertube over it.

also, if you choose 2 lights, you can always tape them together, heads opposite. this would be like a double headed flashlight...might help with decreasing the overall bulk a bit.

Bob

Bob