Introducing the Cachelight (TM)....

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Well, my buddy Jim and I finally finished the new prototypes of our 1 watt luxeon led light. The light takes a single lithium 123 and features the NX05 collimator for a bright beam with decent throw. An additional lexan lens protects the NX05 from scratches and is replaceable. We now have several different versions and we're currently pondering which model to make in production as well as ironing out a few small details. Here is what I think we may make as a small initial production run:

cache4.jpg

That light does not actually exist yet, I just taped the base of the Cachelight to it so you can get the idea. MY light is a one of a kind version so far, the Cachelight. The vision here was to create a reasonable sized 1 battery light that would also have a hidden compartment for extra battery storage, emergency cash, daily meds or whatever! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I can just barely fit an extra 123 with a single bill wrapped tightly around it. Small adjustment needed there to hide the O ring but it is darned close. Note the awesome grip on these lights....no slipping out of your fingers here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cache1.jpg

cache2.jpg

Next to the Inova:

cache3.jpg

How it stacks up sizewise next to other lights:

flash1.jpg

We have a gorgeous hardcoat (!) anodized color picked out. It is a beautiful charcoal grey that I haven't seen anywhere else.

So what do you think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
I like the aesthetics, it is a very pretty light and will look great when it is colorized.

I don't normally carry extra batteries for my LED lights on my person. Extra batteries are in the car, office, and house if the need arises. The reason that I carry an LED light is that I don't have to carry an extra battery on me. Therefore, the idea of a battery cache isn't for me.

I want my lights as small as possible.---Marc

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Peter,

It is very nice and I like the idea of a built-on spares holder (Hey, "Cachelight", NOW I get it...). Since you are asking, a few things on my mind:

1) How bright? Not counting the storage compartment this is basically a competitor to the Arc w/123, SF E1 w/KL1, and perhaps a couple more I did not have the presence of mind to think of yet.

2) Actuation method? Something this small you would hate to have to grab with both hands just to get it turned on.

3) I personally don't care for the texture pattern, reminds me of one of my wife's tubes of lipstick...(sorry, you asked!).

JMHO...

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Thanks for the nice comments! This light project has been going on for quite awhile now so it's nice to finally have a couple of finished pieces to show for it.

As far as cost, not sure yet as we haven't really sat down to plan production costs yet. But I'll let everyone know when these become available.

Good observations Charlie.... The built in hideout feature is kind of neat and could be used for all kinds of small stuff.

As far as brightness, it is virtually identical in output to the Arc LS. We're running a Micropuck in it.

Actuation is achieved through the twist on endcap and is really pretty easy to do one handed because of the convenient length and aggressive pattern. Sorry you're not wild about this pattern Charlie, but I think it's pretty hot. We have other patterns in the wings so stay tuned! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AlphaTea

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifI think your project is bitchin' dude! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I really do like the the knarly knurling. There are enough wuss looking lights out there. I might buy this one JUST FOR THE LOOKS!

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Peter, I read your post on Bladeforums. I really like your design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It has a sort of Star Wars lightsabre look to it, very cool.

flash....

Enlightened
I really like the look.
Looks solid too. How think azre the sides of the battery tube?

Would the "Cache" be configurable?
Could I use the 2nd 123 spare compartment not always for a spare, but for a 6v config?
And could it be reversible?

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Yeah, for an extra 100 bucks we'll even throw in the Ben Franklin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The light could be modified to do 6v but you'd have to drill through the .050 wall that separates the two compartments. It would be much easier to just ask us to make a double long tube with no extra compartment.....:D

The luxeons are just luck of the draw on these lights. We will have to look into getting the primo bin numbers....

Sidewalls are heavy duty, we could have gone thinner but Jim is a stickler for quality so they will probably support an elephant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Battery compartment is not reversible.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. The idea of the cache is nice but I'd leave it off of mine in favor of a smaller, more pocketabe light. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for anything in the Arc LS range right now so I'm guessing this one is out of the question too. You won't have a problem selling these beauties but I'd wager they'd move even faster with a really competitive price.

Jon

flash....

Enlightened
Waterproof?
Could you do a 5W in the 2x123 config?
Will your light support a BB500 or BB750?
Will you sell parts? Kits or only fully assembled lights?

I am interested in a 2x123 assy to put in a 5W LS and run at 700ma.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Oohhh! Me like! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
fd0c76e3.gif

Is it possible to have the endcap with a different knurling? the ribbed cap looks to me as a later added thing, not really matching the rest of the (very cool) light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Maybe simular knurling to make it appear a solid piece? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Do you have a price estimate?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work. Personally, I'd prefer it without the extra battery/storage compartment. Of course without it, you'll need to rename the light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A small, pocketably LS is the hot ticket. If you can do it for less than the Arc LS, you'll have a market.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I too would like to see it without the cache compartment, but then again its not a bad idea. How about a "cached" version and a stubby version. That stubby would really peak my interest.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very neat light. Allow me to make a design suggestion. You have a hollow storage compartment insinde the body of the flashlight with an end cap to close it. What if you decreased the volume of the storage compartment inside the flashlight body and increased the volume inside the end cap. You could have the same storage volume, but now it is mostly or completely inside the end cap. With this configuration, it would be possible to offer multiple sizes of "end cap" (or now called the "storage compartment") that would be interchangeable. A user may also be able to completely remove the end-cap/storage-compartment so the light is as small and light as possible, when needed. This would also allow the user to open the storage compartment and then look inside it using the flashlight to illuminate the contents or items being added.

I also think that the contrast between the texture of the body and that of the end cap detracts from the looks somehow. They should blend or coordinate better, IMO. BTW, the texture reminds me of a hand grenade. It's cool, although it could be scaled down to about half size.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
"Fetch me the Holy Hand Grenade" (in best Monty Python voice) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It does look a little hand grenadish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Excellent suggestions everyone! A couple of things.....

First, we did intend to offer the basic light and then let the user buy accessories like the cache compartment as desired. I just got a photo of the basic model on a CD and I'll post it once I have uploaded it.

Lurker, the threading has to be somewhere which is why the end is hollowed out so much. The alternative was to use internal threads but you still would need to bore the back of the endcap so we went with the way that you see.

The finished lights will be O ringed at the lens so yes, they will be as water proof as any other lights on the market. And yes, a 5w model will come eventually but let us get some 1w built first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
Looking and sounding good, Peter!

I like the idea of the cache portion being an accessory.
I agree that the ribs don't match the rest.
Price (as always) will be a biggie in determining if/when to buy.

Is there a discount for CPF members on the Ben Franklin accessory? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Will it still be your friend once you pull the pin? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just hope some overzealous airline security inspector doesn't think it's a WWII grenade....