SureFire Titan -- Anyone Using RCR2?

cy

Flashaholic
yup.. that would be me...

been using li-ion in my Titan from get go with no problems :D

only difference I can see is a tiny flash upon initial turning on.

gone through two charge cycles now.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Tell us more about how the Titan reacts. For example, are you using a cell that automatically cuts off at a certain voltage? Does the Titan take the battery down as low as you'd like? If the cell does not cutoff, how are you determining when it's time to re-charge (other than throwing it on a volt meter?)

cy

Flashaholic
nothing detailed to report... I've been EDC CR2 li-ion in Li14430/CR2 for the last two years. and ti PD for the last year using R123 li-ion.

my primary headlamp Argo HP uses a 17650 li-ion. secondary headlamp Stenlight uses 2x 18650 li-ion pack.

don't use primary lithium in any of my actual use lights.
my habit is to recharge cell immediately, at the least little hint of dimming.

once you get the hang of how much current is being consumed. you'll know by feel when to charge before cell needs it.

normally for the first few cycles. I'll check with a voltmeter to see where I'm at. changed out titan li-ion cell at 3.74v

my current CR2 li-ion is getting long in tooth. two years of reliable service, only taking 4.02v at full charge. it looks like new cell time...

typically I'll charge li-ion cells to 4.1v to get max life cycles. then only charge to 4.2v when I need extra capacity.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used an AW protected RCR2 in my Titan. Only battery I have used with it :eek: Having said that, I have barely used it...

Not so much as a bright flash when turning it on. Business as usual.

Regards,
Tempest

cy

Flashaholic
mine been working perfect with CR2 li-ion!

I'd be surprised with all the R&D Titan received, if it doesn't have li-ion support. for self protection purposes if nothing else....

have only ran through a few charge cycles now... still have not ran cell down below 3.5v.

retired my old CR2 li-ion cell as it would only charge up to 4.02v.
new cell charges up to 4.14v.

don't know about anyone else, but I've had a tendency to twist fully on to max position. which drains cell quickly.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Mike from Optics said that the Titan is ok with RCR2s.

I can confirm I have used mine with a protected RCR2 without any problems
at all. Can't see an initial flash either.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I suppose that SF could offer up the basic specs of the Titan, including voltage range of the circuit, without giving up any secrets. Would be nice.

Bill

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread. :sssh: I just figured more of us by now have had experience with the CR2 Titan and wanted to find out if there is any additional input that would contribute to the OP's question. :popcorn:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I already said here I've been using in my Titan UltraFire 15270 non-protected 3.0V Li-ion cells for about 18 months.

Since I use this light only for very short periods of time I've never had problems of overdischarge, I just charge the battery regularly.

cy

Flashaholic
close to two years later update...

Titan has been my primary EDC via neck lanyard. have retired my Ti PD due to non use with Titan around.

Titan has given me a few hicups with light acting erratic as many others have reported. discovered the fix... take battery out, then twist bezel/switch fully 30+ times. this cleans up the switch inside, fixing erratic output issues.

have completely changed use pattern... seldom is full power used. have not used li-ion CR2 for a year+ ... primary CR2 only... a cell typically lasts 4-6 months of constant use. I'll dial in exactly amount of light needed. which is seldom high, titan will run days on low.

mine been working perfect with CR2 li-ion!

I'd be surprised with all the R&D Titan received, if it doesn't have li-ion support. for self protection purposes if nothing else....

have only ran through a few charge cycles now... still have not ran cell down below 3.5v.

retired my old CR2 li-ion cell as it would only charge up to 4.02v.
new cell charges up to 4.14v.

don't know about anyone else, but I've had a tendency to twist fully on to max position. which drains cell quickly.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
close to two years later update...

Titan has been my primary EDC via neck lanyard. have retired my Ti PD due to non use with Titan around.

Titan has given me a few hicups with light acting erratic as many others have reported. discovered the fix... take battery out, then twist bezel/switch fully 30+ times. this cleans up the switch inside, fixing erratic output issues.

have completely changed use pattern... seldom is full power used. have not used li-ion CR2 for a year+ ... primary CR2 only... a cell typically lasts 4-6 months of constant use. I'll dial in exactly amount of light needed. which is seldom high, titan will run days on low.

The first run, Titanium one?

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried twice to use rcrcr2 cells once with regular AW protected cells and with then with the 3.0v cells from dealextream /kd.I used the 3.0v cells for a short time and and they were ok but when I started having erratic operation I switched back to primary cells. using the 4,2v cells caused an imediate flickering and the low was a little higher than with primary cells I don't know if the light would have settled down as soon as the processor figured out the voltage or not,however it works good for me with primarys so I am sticking with them for now.:grin2: Mine is the original Ti version

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried twice to use rcrcr2 cells once with regular AW protected cells and with then with the 3.0v cells from dealextream /kd.I used the 3.0v cells for a short time and and they were ok but when I started having erratic operation I switched back to primary cells. using the 4,2v cells caused an imediate flickering and the low was a little higher than with primary cells I don't know if the light would have settled down as soon as the processor figured out the voltage or not,however it works good for me with primarys so I am sticking with them for now.:grin2: Mine is the original Ti version

Anyone upgrade the LED in the Ti Titan?

cy

Flashaholic
yup that would be the one... #0113
been hanging on my neck lanyard almost the entire time since I got it.

split ring is rusted badly, but rest of light looks great. got rid of stock cap long ago. fab'd a ti stud to hang lanyard ring on.

The first run, Titanium one?