SF TITAN ISSUES You have any?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys. I have had my titan for a few days now and it is on it's way back to Surefire after taking a fall from around my neck.
After the fall it would NOT turn off.

Before the fall I have to admit that I was not happy with the action of the light. too tight not easy to operate with one hand.
There is also a small amount of debris on the emitter. Amazing for a light of this Caliber.
I now have an RMA and will report the results of the return/repair/replacement here.
What about you guys?
I am very disappointed. IMHO the TITAN should be more durable and should have a perfect action.
BTW Please guys this is NOT a titan Bashing thread. Please keep your comments to your own experience with your broken or malfunctioning TITAN. Opinions and bashing comments are best posted elsewhere. If You do not own a broken or malfunctioning TITAN please do not comment here. Thanks.

Yaesumofo

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I would say that I have no mechanical or visual issues with mine. I've posted my dislikes in my review post, but I really wouldn't call them problems. I have not yet dropped mine, so I can't comment there, however I'd expect it to not only handle a drop, but a kick, throw and runover as well.

I'm assuming your light was "ON" when it dropped?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was OFF when dropped. I had it on a break away lanyard. It broke away.
I did not see it hit but I assume it hit bezel first.
I have a feeling that Surefire is using some sort of pressure fit pin system to connect the boards ( I think that is what I see in the xrey shot of the titan) The G's it hit the ground with were enough to cause one of those connections to fail. I am a guessing ofcourse since I did not open the thing up.
Surefire was cheerful about having me sent it in.
10 days to 2 weeks turnaround.
Still bummed
Yaesumofo

I would say that I have no mechanical or visual issues with mine. I've posted my dislikes in my review post, but I really wouldn't call them problems. I have not yet dropped mine, so I can't comment there, however I'd expect it to not only handle a drop, but a kick, throw and runover as well.

I'm assuming your light was "ON" when it dropped?

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have something stuck to my emitter dome. I was going to use it a while and see how it goes before deciding weather or not to send it back for that. No effect on the beam but I can see it on the dome.I also get that flash when ramping down and once or twice it has not turned off all the way the first time,like Greenstuffs reported.
C

jspalmer

Newly Enlightened
Mine has been excellent so far. The bezel has gotten easier to turn over time and I have dropped it twice, once on the garage floor and once on asphalt while walking the dog. A couple of nicks, but still good as new.

nitrox1

Newly Enlightened
Mine went back yesterday. Rearward pressure on the bezel (like when adjusting one handed) would often times cause the light to powerdown or flash. Sometimes it wouldn't power back up after 1 or 2 full on off cycles. Othertimes you could push pull twist the bezel however you liked and it would work fine. Replaced battery with fresh duracell, problem still there.

Fit, finish, and bezel action were fine in my book. No debris inside the light, but some gunk was on the lens when removed from box.

Looking forward to getting a working one. I plan on keeping and using this light.

John

Telkin

Enlightened
My Detent pin on my lanyard attachment fell out which is a bonus now because I do not need to align it to attach or detach the lanyard tail. Even without the detent pin there is no chance of it disconnecting accidentally. There are 2 small specs of dust on my reflector/lens.

Other than that perfect. Use it everyday and it's getting even more buttery smooth.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Detent pin fell out on #005, as well. Surefire want's the whole light back. I am not as convinced that the lanyard attachment will not come off, as have had a lanyard attached and it appears as if, in the right position, it could come off.

Have not decided, yet, to return for repair?

jeffb

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
#347 has been good to me! I haven't done anything but White wall hunt and it's smooth and has a nice beam/color.

I always seem to luck out with my Surefires (other than the U2 tailcap issue)

:)

Telkin

Enlightened
Detent pin fell out on #005, as well. Surefire want's the whole light back. I am not as convinced that the lanyard attachment will not come off, as have had a lanyard attached and it appears as if, in the right position, it could come off.

Have not decided, yet, to return for repair?

I don't think I will send it for replacement. What will I do when it's gone??!! I guess I don't use my lanyard attachment too much so it's still very stiff to take off. Very little chance of accidental detachment.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I've had mine 2 weeks to the day and it would occasionally, momentarily bright flash on turn-on. I think it's only done it once in the past week, and I can't seem to force it to do so by push/pull twisting. It is a little larger than the CR2 light I am used to. :green:

222041636-O.jpg

Larry

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Except for the well known somewhat gritty turning action no problems here so far. Knock on wood.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine 2 weeks to the day and it would occasionally, momentarily bright flash on turn-on. I think it's only done it once in the past week, and I can't seem to force it to do so by push/pull twisting. It is a little larger than the CR2 light I am used to. :green:

222041636-O.jpg

Larry

You show-off Larry!!! :nana:

MSax

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I need a couple you guys to try this. Take off the lanyard cap to allow for tailend standing. Turn the Titon on all the way. Place it down on its tail on a hard surface. Don't slam it down, but place it down rather hard. Let me know if the light blinks at the moment of impact.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a couple you guys to try this. Take off the lanyard cap to allow for tailend standing. Turn the Titon on all the way. Place it down on its tail on a hard surface. Don't slam it down, but place it down rather hard. Let me know if the light blinks at the moment of impact.

Neither Titan No. 57 or No. 124 blinked after whacking it down as requested.

MSax