best AA light vs the old reliable Fenix L1P.

colubrid

Enlightened
I have been out of the loop from flashlights for a while. Maybe someone can help me with this request.

My first Flashlight was a Fenix L1P 1 wt. I own many high end flashlights but this is the one that gets used to most. Well that and the ARC AAA+P.

Now I was wondering had happened in the world of Flashlights and if anyone improved on this same platform with something brighter with equal runtime. I just want a single stage flood that stands on end with the little clicky button. Just like the fenix. Price is not a concern. Just brighteness. I hope things have evolved and i can pick something up that will retire this old original.

Thanks!~

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have been out of the loop from flashlights for a while. Maybe someone can help me with this request.

My first Flashlight was a Fenix L1P 1 wt. I own many high end flashlights but this is the one that gets used to most. Well that and the ARC AAA+P.

Now I was wondering had happened in the world of Flashlights and if anyone improved on this same platform with something brighter with equal runtime. I just want a single stage flood that stands on end with the little clicky button. Just like the fenix. Price is not a concern. Just brighteness. I hope things have evolved and i can pick something up that will retire this old original.

Thanks!~

How about the L1T v2.0?? Two simple modes, forward clickie.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=334&osCsid=cc8ab0e2c8f649137093c3e21b25db7d

colubrid

Enlightened
Lots to pick from friend.Some are 3-5x the brighness with better runtime :thumbsup:

well their must be one or two that stand out from the rest?

So is the L1T v2.0 the best for brightness and runtime? I really don't want a two stage however.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2D Q5

It's got a couple more stages, but you don't have to use them if you don't want to and it tailstands. If you want a single AA, pick up a single AA body tube for it. It's the best light engine available for AA.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
So is the L1T v2.0 the best for brightness and runtime? I really don't want a two stage however.

It's not two stages by cycling through modes with the switch. If you keep the head tightened down, it's always in high. If you loosen it a partial turn, it's always in standard mode. You never have to adjust the brightness if you don't want to, but it's nice to have a choice without all the annoying strobe and SOS modes.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There is the MTE Seoul which is like the L1P in function but I don't think it is as durable as the L1P. It is much brighter though.

I think the Fenix L1T V2.0 or the P2D-CE-Q5 Powerpack(comes with 1 AA body) would work fine. They are actually less complex then they seem. The new 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

Weird, the L1T V2.0 doesn't seem to be available.

chibato

Newly Enlightened
L1T v2.0 is a great 1AA light. I recently bought one as a christmas gift for my dad. I liked it so much I decided to keep it for myself and buy him another(until I just noticed the fenixstore is not shipping more until January...crap, I guess I'll have to stop using his:drool:)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
well their must be one or two that stand out from the rest?
The 2 that stand out for me is the MTE SSC 1 stage and the L1T v2.0 RB80.

There is the MTE Seoul which is like the L1P in function but I don't think it is as durable as the L1P. It is much brighter though.
All 4 of my MTE SSC (2 separate orders) have QC stickers and work on arrival. The lack of QC makes me wary of many other brands at the Far East online stores.
The MTE is longer than the L1P, sticks out 1/4" past the top of a L1P holster. Tint is cool white similar to a Luxeon XO or Cree WC. Reverse clickie.

I think the Fenix L1T V2.0 or the P2D-CE-Q5 Powerpack(comes with 1 AA body) would work fine. They are actually less complex then they seem. The new 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".
My L1T v2.0 RB80 is brighter than my MTE on high (tighten head). On low (loosen head) it is less bright than my L1P. Tint is neutral/warm similar to a Luxeon WO or Cree WD. Forward clickie. Note there are 3 versions of the L1T - The original L1T (Luxeon), the L1T v2.0 (Luxeon), and the L1T v2.0 RB80 (Rebel 80 lumens @ 350 mA) which is twice as bright as the other 2.

The brightest 1AA is putting a 1AA tube on a P2D RB100 or P2D CE Q5 head.
You can get additional modes by doing a partial click. Reverse clickie. Brightness about 1.25X the L1T.

Weird, the L1T V2.0 doesn't seem to be available.
Fenix-store are sold out but other dealers (Lighthound, Eliteled, J2LEDflashlights etc. still show stock)

2 other flashlights that stand out are the 1AAA L0D CE and the P3D (latest LED) Premium.
The L0D CE has 3 light levels (medium=L1P, low=Arc, high=2X L1P) as well as strobe and SOS. Twistie.
The P3D is a 2xCR123A torch. It is Fenix's brightest until the T1 comes out end of the month. Reverse clickie.

I have not kept up with the other brands but an interesting light caught my eye - the Zebralight. It is a small 1AA anglehead flashlight that comes with a headband. As a result it ends up in the headlamp forum instead of LED. All flood, no throw.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
.. Well that and the ARC AAA+P...
... I was wondering had happened in the world of Flashlights and if anyone improved on this same platform with something brighter with equal runtime...
Don't overlook the fact that the latest ARC AAA uses the new nichia DS LED (9 lumens) so has gotten 75% brighter with the same runtime. Users have reported better tints as well.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1T v2.0 with alkalines is fairly bright. For all of about 5 minutes:shakehead To get any kind of significant useable runtime on high you have to use rechargeables or lithium AA's.

interesting

My Dad has a work light for the truck, and it runs fine on high with alkalines(we use Duracell copper tops), the brightness holds pretty well for at least an hour if not more.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
one or another of the Fenixes will probably make a good choice.

in the simple but good category for 1xAA formfactors, there is also the Lumapower LM-301 to consider, in the SSC-P4 version.

It is a two-stage clicky (which tailstands with the GID switch). And I see you prefer a single stage.

But...you can turn it on with the head if you prefer, so that can serve as a single stage. Otherwise, I'm can't think of any examples for this type of flashlight with a single stage button on/off switch.