Mammut TX1 anybody?

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a European headlight- distributer in the US is Climbhigh in vermont. Very nice, though squarish beam on high. Rugged and well designed. The UI isn't ideal but once you're used to it, it works. I like the fact that the first step is low, then high- a lot of headlights blind you at first, then when you go to a lower setting you've lost some night adaptation.

One weird thing- on the back of the battery case (3AA) there are what almost look like 4 LEDs- I didn't take apart the case enough to figure out what they were- but I'm wondering whether they're battery meter, or find-me lights? Weird.

Does anybody have any experience with this light?

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that's true- I don't know enough electronics to figure out why others haven't done the same thing- but now that I own it I have to say it's one of the better lights I have. Seems rugged. I'll get back to the thread once I've had a chance to use it this winter climbing and SAR.

drmaxx

Enlightened
Looks very interesting! Over here, Mammut is a company with an excellent reputation - good chance that their headlight is reasonably good.
There is some more info on the German part of the website. According to this page: http://www.mammut.ch/mammut/techinfos_stirnlampen_sub.asp?id=1672 the three red lights on the back are position lights (3 LED). There are some (small!) beam pattern on this page: http://www.mammut.ch/mammut/techinfos_stirnlampen_sub.asp?id=1670
@Jerimoth: let us know how it performs!

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
One weird thing- on the back of the battery case (3AA) there are what almost look like 4 LEDs
These are for running or bicycling.
Anyway, the same light is sold under other brands and I know a few people using them in a cave. The spot is very narrow. But the light is not regulated, so it is lower end.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't call it low-end- it looks pretty well built. The price is $75, which is what we would pay for a high end light like the Apex. So a bit overpriced, but I like some of the features. Will report back on it once I've had a chance to use it climbing or on rescue in New Hampshire.

60mile

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know the max voltage you can put into this headlight? I want to use 2 Saft Lithium D cells so that would be about 5.6 volts instead of the 4.5 volts of 3 alkaline batteries. I don't want to blow it up. This light has a good tight beam which is what we want for dog sled racing.
Thanks

pockyrevolution

Newly Enlightened
I've used one of these before. The optics system really gets the middle led out (spot), and the 2 outer ones do a nice job on providing a spread. The two buttons are kind of hard to push in though. Also, hingeless design is great. The clicky (single point) mechanisms used on cheaper headlights is not only annoying, but bound to break one day. So its great that this headlamp doesn't have the problem.

The battery pack is two pieces of rubber that roughly fit together- I wouldn't think it provides much water/weather resistance.

Last edited:

fluff34567

Newly Enlightened
i had the mammut light before and after a medium rain shower it stopped working... i complained to mammut who said its not designed to be water proof and they would not replace it............ i also had problems with them in the past over a jacket - the last time i or my friends buy anything with Mammut on it - you are just paying for the name anyway