Looking for advice for new flashlights

Postal0311

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am looking to get a new hand held light and a new weapon light. However I am unable to find lights that meet my criteria. So I am coming to you all for help.

As for a personal light, I own and have used SF 6P's, E2Ds, A2Aviators, and a Fenix P3D. The Fenix is my current carry light.

This is what I want in a carry light
Heavy Duty
Push button tail cap(momentary and click on)
1 or 2 CR123/R123 light no bigger then a 6P
60-120 lumen light with at least 1 hour run time on bright, preferable 2 hours.
Low output mode with at least 6 hours of run time after I have used the whole bright time.
I need it to be able to use protected/unprotected rechargeable batteries.
I would like a strobe, but I don't have to have it.
I do not want a half dozen modes, I do not want to have to program the light. I do not want a SOS mode, I do not want to have to hit the button a half dozen times and turn the cap and bezel to get the light that I want.
This light will reside in my pocket, so I do not want old E2D style crenelations to dice open my hands and thighs.
Must have lock out feature so it will not turn on in my pocket.

And for a weapon light:
I would like an 80-200ish lumen light with a run time of at least an hour, preferably two.
I need it to run off 2 CR123/R123 and be able to take protected/unprotected rechargeable.
It does not need to come with a mount.
I want a push button tail cap with momentary on and click on, with the option to go to a tape switch.
Must be able to stand up to recoil.

Cost is not an issue with either, but I would prefer a cheaper light in case I lose, or when I destroy it. Right now my Fenix P3D does what I want, but its awkward to use with a pistol(so narrow), and my fathers starting to have problems with his, and mine sometimes flickers when its on its brightest(turbo) setting, I'm looking to replace it before I have to. As for weapon lights, I own a Insight M6 I currently use. I was going to buy a Surefire X300, but called SF, and they told me that rechargeable batteries can cause problems like "melting".

I would love to have a single model of flash light that could fill both my needs. I could live with say something like a 6P if it had a 2 hour run time, and then 6 hours of low light. The Novatac looks interesting, but I need more then 30 minutes of bright light.

So what do you all suggest?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out the new (coming out in a couple of weeks) Fenix "tank" (T1). Several threads w/ pics floating around. Heavy duty, advertised for military use, 225 lumen w/ 1.5 hr runtime, 60 lumen at 10 hrs!! (can't beat that) on 2xCR123A's. Has tactical 2-stage clicky. Has polarity protection. Satisfies IPX8 waterproof spec. Has new Q5 CREE LED. New reflector that can put out light to 200 m. Etc., etc. Oh, and only costs a bit over $70. (not your primary consideration, but, hey, not bad anyways).

would be interested to see what you think after you've looked at the pics and the specs. (and even more so if you decide to get one and use it in practice!).

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Fenix T1, the "tank"

The Dereelight CL1H also seems to be a good alternative, it's also easy to upgrade.

Have you cleaned the contacts and tightened the retaining ring at the tailcap of your P3D?

:welcome:

Last edited:

Postal0311

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I really like the idea of the Novatac, but I need longer then a 30 min run time.

That Fenix T1 looks very interesting. I like the output of the Fenix P3D, but I don't like how the metal of the threading is galling, and it just doesn't feel heavy duty. With my SF 6P's I have broken out windows, used it as a hammer, hurt people, etc, but I worry I would break the Fenix if I did something like that.

The T1, will I have to rotate the lens end to go into turbo mode like with the P3D? Thats one of my major complaints with the P3D. I could do with out the wire pocket clip. Looks light it may be a little larger then I would want for daily carry, but you gotta deal with what you can get. Guess I will have to wait and see what you all think about it when it comes out.

Reading more of CPF, I guess the term of what I want is "Foward Clickie" operation.

Gunner 12, whats the advantage of a Dereelight CL1H over say just a modded Surefire 6P?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Actually, there isn't much difference except for the extra modules that aren't compatible with the 6P, the HAIII, and the clip and a few other minor things. They also make drop-ins that work in a 6P, scroll down on the Cl1H page and you should see a multipower drop-in, the one stage for $26.50 USD and it also uses the Cree Q5 LED.

It seems like the T1 is the same twist head operation as the P3D.