inova x0 ? for the new guy??? or ? ? ?

JAY43228

Newly Enlightened
ok i am new to flashlight but in need of a bright small flashlight to ask for x-mas saw the inova x0 at target is this a good flashlight:poke:...i am upgrading from a mini maglite flashlight just not that bright:mecry: ...so i was hoping this would fix that..... or should i spend more and get a surefire:thinking: g2led??? or ? ? ?:thanks:

redledz

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to Cpf!

I'll bet most users would take a G2L over an XO. In the 35 to 65 dollar category, you choices are pretty big for general use and moving from a minimag, you will be pleased regardless. I like the XO for its runtime and its smooth beam, but the G2L will be much brighter.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF as well :)

I dunno, the Inova series is pretty darn tough. Don't know where you live, but you might be able to head to a decent sporting goods store and check them out in person..

JAY43228

Newly Enlightened
i saw the x0 at target and have saw the g2 at another store.... is there and that is better in the under 75 price range to look at??? also can my mini mag be made to be better then this i have heard of people putting in a modded bulbs and hacking them to be brighter.. i just need the best little flashlight i can get for the money.... any other brands i should look at? ? ?

Last edited:

mousehunter

Newly Enlightened
Surefire is a nice light. I just got my 6pl in yesterday. This could become an addicting hobby - Ordered some Peak's today.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
what is "peaks":thinking:

Peak LED Solutions is a company known for their tough-as-nails lights.

You can check out reviews for Peak lights over at www.flashlightreviews.com

(You can also check the review for the Inova X0).

Between the Inova X0 and the Surefire G2L, I'd go with the X0. It's going to be stronger than that SF model. If you were going with one of Surefire's aluminum lights, I'd likely change my answer.

If you decide on the X0, and you get it at Target, take a look at the Nite-Ize 1watt LED kit that is also sold at Target. It comes bundled with an I.Q. switch that I don't find very impressive. But the LED bulb is a winner. My brightest Mini-mag has the 1watt in it, along with the conventional switch from the dimmer Nite-ize 3 LED upgrade kit. The conventional switch and 1watt can be bought seperately. But not at Target.

Buying online, check out the Terralux LED upgrades for the Mini-mag. Bright as Hell! But pricey too. Still many folks here on CPF consider them well worth the cost. You can order tailcap switches from Terralux too.

AzN1337c0d3r

Banned
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fenix yet.

Here's the mandatory Fenix post.

L2D Q5 if you want to run on commomly found AA batteries or
P3D Q5 if you don't mind buying CR123A batteries.

These 2 flashlights will blow your eyes out with their brightness.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The X0 is a nice product, for a light buyable at a normal store. But it doesn't use the newer LEDs which are twice or more efficient then the Luxeon K2. The "newer" LEDs(Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U bin, Rebel 100) will produce twice or more output for the same power.

I would also agree with the Fenix suggestion. I would go for the L2D-CE Q5 or the P2D-CE Q5 Powerpack for an upgrade from the Minimag. There is a 8% off coupon at Fenix Store, "CPF8". Or if you like the forward clickie, the L2T V2.0 has a forward clickie and so does the T1.

Or if you want cheap, you could always look at Dealextreme's Cree/Seoul/Rebel section(like the WF-606).

In the $75 price range, the Dereelight CL1H is over your price range but it is easy to upgrade, new module instead of a whole new light and quality also good.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fenix yet.

Here's the mandatory Fenix post....

Of course.... :ironic:

No offense intended, but look at the two lights he's considering. Their methods of operation is the same. Momentary tailcap switches w/ twist constant-on feature. One setting, bright as possible! From two different American companies that are known for making rugged lights.

Fenix lights are Made in China and generally come with a reverse-clickie, or twist-on only.

AzN1337c0d3r

Banned
He's also coming from an AA minimag, which is a twistie... I don't think the OP cares about who makes the flashlight, or how it turns on. He also hinted he wanted maximum brightness.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
He's also coming from an AA minimag, which is a twistie... I don't think the OP cares about who makes the flashlight, or how it turns on. He also hinted he wanted maximum brightness.

I hope he returns to clarify the details.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Fenix L2D

Hard to beat when it comes to bang for the buck, which OP seems to be looking for Same batteries and formfactor as his old maglite, but a helluva lot brighter, plus the additional modes.

JAY43228

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the help guys i am going for the inova for now for the money i think it is the best deal but i well look to the others later down the road

thank you again:party::wave::nana:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What exactly are you using this light for, if just everyday usage, the Fenix L2D would be better for this task.

If you need a hefty light and not too concerned about brightness, then the X0 would be good.

Definitely look at a Cree/Seoul/Rebel light down the road, they will easily out lumen the Inova.

Enjoy your new light!

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course.... :ironic:

No offense intended, but look at the two lights he's considering. Their methods of operation is the same. Momentary tailcap switches w/ twist constant-on feature. One setting, bright as possible! From two different American companies that are known for making rugged lights.

Fenix lights are Made in China and generally come with a reverse-clickie, or twist-on only.

While I like Fenix, I could not agree with Monocrom more. He is hoping for the light as a gift. Many people do not like to shop online. If the light breaks, he can take it back to Target for a new one...(inova's hardly EVER break by the way)

While the Inova is not as bright as a Q5 light it is a huge step up from a mini-mag and in the gift giver's price range.

The Inova xO would be a great Christmas gift for the new guy!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Inova XO is a screamer. But as others have pointed out, the older K2 LED is not very efficient. At its designed drive current, the XO will run down its batteries in around 1 hour.

(Be aware that the XO has undergone several changes in the past year. There is an older version that runs a 1-watt Luxeon for 5 hours of regulated, 30-ish lumens of output. Its package is labeled "1000 mWatt". This version is dimmer but, in my opinion, more practical for many purposes.)

Note: I have a high-output Inova XO that I'll sell to you at a discount. It looks just like the light in the picture, and it is in like-new condition. Send me a PM if interested. :)