MagLED 4D drop In used in a plastic flashlight?

voiceiptester

Newly Enlightened
Recently I installed a MagLED 4D drop in an old 6V plastic flashlight I have had for a long time and I noticed the LED getting hot pretty fast.

Since the plastic flashlight doesn't have any metalic piece for heat dissipation, my question is: How save it to run this LED in this kind of flashlight? Does this LED need some heatsink to work without getting damaged?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly, official MagLED dropins have been widely criticized for having lousy heat dissipation. The problem is not in the flashlight you put them in, but in how they are built.
Having an all-metal light can't hurt, but I don't think it's a requirement.

voiceiptester

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Fallingwater for yor reply.

This light is all plastic. Do you think the MagLED won't get damaged in this plastic flashlight due to poor heat dissipation?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The MagLED module it self is supposed to have a sensor to keep the heat at a reasonable level so the LED does not cook itself.

So I think your Drop-in should be fine.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Gunner12 says they have protection built in, but this means when they get hot the drive current will decrease to prevent heat damage, and you'll have a dimmer light.
(still working from memory here, I don't own anything by Mag, so don't quote me on that).