Reccomended AA Light under 50 bucks?

dano101

Enlightened
Just curious what you all would reccomend as some real killer AA torches under $50. Im talking straight AA NiMH cells, not necessarily lithium etc. Id prefer the light to be Led and have a rear clickie.

Reason im asking is ive never bought a light before based on a low price point of $50 and never before based on a AA format. However a colleague wants a 'good' light for their friend for Christmas under $50 that will use 'regular household or shopping mall available' AA batteries, so i told them id help.

Any suggestions?

Dano

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Fenix L2T would be killer, and simple to operate. The Ultrafire C3 is another good cheap one which can use 1xAA or 2xAA, or the 2-pack of Energizer Cree lights at Sams Club.

L2T and Energizer have forward momentary clickies, the C3 has a reverse clickie.

All 3 work best on NiMH cells, as opposed to alkaline, although they will run on either if needed.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
For something simple check out the Fenix L1T (1AA) or L2T (2AA), they have a momentary clicky and 2 modes which are changed by twisting the bezel. The Jetbeam C-LE V2 (1AA) is an awesome light with 5 modes, changed by half pressing the switch and after 2 seconds in a mode it will flash to let you know it will be in that mode the next time you turn it on. I can't comment on Fenix's quality based on experiance, but I have heard good and the Jetbeam from my experiances had pretty good quality itself. The L1T is 46.95 L2T 47.95 and the Jetbeam is 30.

CoolHands

Newly Enlightened
I like the jetbeam but they're sold out at the mo. so it maybe depends when they will get some more.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Suggestions, suggestions, and suggestions, that is the CPF way. I have to give a shout out for the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Lux. You want dependable? You got it. You want throw? You got it. You want durability? Oh yeah. You want "Made in USA"? Yep, its even got that!

It is still hard to beat the PP's 3,000 lux, unless it is a more expensive light.

Almost forgot, cost is $28.95 (not including the CPF discount and shipping) at Battery Junction.

Luminescent

Enlightened
River Rock 1AA model.... The black one with the reverse-clickie and pocket-carry clip.

About $23 at Target, bright as Hell for a 1AA light!

Made by Nuwai, for River Rock. Nuwai sells it under their brand as well, but without the clip.

Here's a review:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-1.htm

Bright as hell, how about TWICE AS BRIGHT?

I had one of the exact same River Rock lights you just mentioned. I gave it away when I got my C-LE, because the C-LE just blows the River Rock away all across the board.

If you like the RR 1AA you will LOVE the Jetbeam C-LE v2.0.

- About the same compact single AA clicky size (with the same single AA battery):

- Multiple modes Med, Low, High, Strobe, and SOS (the multi-mode interface is very simple so it's incredibly easy to switch modes (just quicky cycle the power), and unlike Fenix lights, it has memory ,so once it's in the mode you like, it stays there and turns on and off just as simply as the single mode RR light you have now.)

- Medium is just as bright as your River Rock is now with more than twice the runtime (5 hours)

- High is easily twice as bright (with the same run time!).

- Low has about the same brighness as those old 3 LED 5mm lights with about 24 hours run time.

- Whiter cleaner beam pattern (medium orange peel reflector).

- HAIII finish which is just about as good as ANY light out there.

- glass lens that you can clean without scratching up like the plastic lens on department store lights.

How can it be TWICE as good with the SAME battery? Because it uses a nice new CREE Q2 emitter, not a Luxeon that is 3 years out of date like the River Rock.

All this for less than 30 bucks with the CPF discount, how can you go wrong?