newb question? use rechargeable batteries?

roymail

Enlightened
PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST. WRONG FORUM. SORRY!

I'm just getting into lights and don't know much. Do you guys use rechargeable batteries... NiMH, Lithium, 123A's, AA's? I don't plan on spending more than $50 and I'm thinking about Inova, Fenix, Surefire, etc. Any advice would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

streamlighter

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the sanyo eneloop NIMH because they keep the energy longer than others.

You can get them as AAA and AA.

SL

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: You did not necessarily post in the wrong forum if you are asking about LED light recommendations. This place has a ton of information and it can be hard to sort through it. The search function can turn up a lot of info on the lights you are asking about. Check out the Reviews section and search for the lights you want.

When it come to asking about flashlight recommendation you really have to decide on what you are going to use the light for (EDC/work/up close tasks etc), the form factor (AA, AAA, CR123 batteries), things like user interface (how you change from mode to mode) and the type of switch (clicky vs twisty) among other factors.

For new members I like to recomend Fenix because they offer good value. They are very popular here and if you buy from the Fenix-Store you will get great customer service. If you want a simple two stage light, the L1T v2 is very good. If you want extra features, the L1D has strobe and SOS. There are both single AA lights. There are 2 AA versions if you want a larger from factor.

In terms of batteries, Alkalines tend to perform poorly in most high drain lights because there is more internal resistance. You will always get better performance with NiMH, Lithium primaries and Lithium Ion rechargeables. NiMH and Lithium primaries are available in stores (although lithiums are pricey) whereas Lithium Ion rechargeables and Lithium primaries are available online. Lithium primaries are much cheaper online-around $2.00 per cell. For the Fenix lights I recommend using rechargeable NiMH. Good performance and economical to boot.

There are a lot of lights out there as well as opinions so keep looking and reading. I've only scratched the surface here so good luck with your purchase and have fun!