NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TITAN - taken apart

Default TITAN - taken apart

A few pics:

Greetings
    Dirk

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: SF TITAN ISSUES You have any?

You do realize you have some 'splainin to do.

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Awesome. So what's the secret in getting the bezel off?
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

*Flashaholic*

After "Shopping" the pics, I see I was wrong about 3 spring-loaded pins. The head is retained by a retaining ring, visible in the 3 little holes. When the ring is squeezed into the power pak, the head is slipped over, and the ring expands into the groove inside. The tool I made should work- I just wasn't aggressive enough with it. I'm curious what the "finger" on the power pak turns?

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Quote Originally Posted by tvodrd View Post
    After "Shopping" the pics, I see I was wrong about 3 spring-loaded pins. The head is retained by a retaining ring, visible in the 3 little holes. When the ring is squeezed into the power pak, the head is slipped over, and the ring expands into the groove inside. The tool I made should work- I just wasn't aggressive enough with it. I'm curious what the "finger" on the power pak turns?

Larry
    I'm thinking we may have now found out what the "grittiness" is while activating the light. It must be the compressed retaining ring as it expands/presses into that groove.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    I'm thinking we may have now found out what the "grittiness" is while activating the light. It must be the compressed retaining ring as it expands/presses into that groove.
    I don't *think* so as the ring rotates with the head and pulling/pushing the head while turning doesn't seem to affect the "grittiness." I await a description of the power pak "Finger's" function. I'd pull mine down, but left the tool at work.

Larry

Unhappy Re: SF TITAN ISSUES You have any?

As it is 23:45 at Dirk's place now I think it will be tomorrow (or late tonight for the West coast )
    BART

This thread is starting to get REALLY interesting...
    Now I can't wait to get my Titan. Take it apart for sure!

*Flashaholic*

Wanna borrow my tool? We have drug yaesumofo's thread waay off topic, but there's been some good stuff posted here. I don't know how much work it would be with this boards software to drag the OT posts to a new "Tech" thread for the Titan. Bernie? For instance, I just "Ohmed" mine in the off position and got 20 Megs one direction and 13.2 MegOhms the other. (Which should suck the cell down in how many years? ) Just a thought.

Larry

Wanna borrow my tool? We have drug yaesumofo's thread waay off topic, but there's been some good stuff posted here. I don't know how much work it would be with this boards software to drag the OT posts to a new "Tech" thread for the Titan. Bernie? For instance, I just "Ohmed" mine in the off position and got 20 Megs one direction and 13.2 MegOhms the other. (Which should suck the cell down in how many years? ) Just a thought.

Larry
    I don't know what that means Larry. Are you saying to draws some power even when off?

Default Re: TITAN - taken apart

This is the split-off part from here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...32#post2228632
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

*Flashaholic*

That was sure quick, Bernie!

TIN, It draws a really tiny micro bit of power in the off position. It's so small that I could be wrong!! (Fingerprints/Pro Gold ) Off to steal PSM's X-ray for the thread:

I'm really curious how the thing works!

Larry

Flashaholic*

I'm curious what the "finger" on the power pak turns?

Larry
    I would say it is the "stop".

Please tell me the white circular tube in the center is something a bit more beefy than a drinking straw.

Flashaholic*

Looks similar to a infinate adjustable desk lamp that I had 15 years ago, probably the same principle just on a smaller scale (don't ask how it works, I don't know).

I do like the fact there's double o-rings at the business end of the light.

*Flashaholic*

From the X-ray. it seems to turn a ring (Magnetic?) which seems to surround 2 circuit boards. I suspect that is the source of the "grittiness" mine and others have reported.

Pk has to be ROFLHAO watching us trying to reverse-engineer the suckers! (He also knows we will succeed! )

Larry

Flashaholic*

So where is the pot (or other adjustment technology) located? Is the tab on the edge of the body pushing something or is that just the mechanical stop for min/max?

Thanks - Greg
    My EDC: Chrome Draco.

Now we should be able to get an answer about what does the adjustment.

I can tell you what has NOTHING to do with it, and that's the toroid core in the middle with wire wound around it, that's just the boost-converter inductor.

The shaft and head most likely connect to a little potentiometer (variable resistor) of some kind on one of the PCB boards. I could be wrong here, there could also be some kind of fancy optical encoder, but my bet's are on surefire to use a cheap potentiometer. That would explain the reports of flickers and inconsistent behavior on some lights when the output level is changed (grassy control, like a noisy volume control in an old radio).

Obviously, don't risk busting anything to find out, but I would like to know if you can tell how the control mechnism works. I have a standing bet with someone in another thread that it's just a cheap pot, and PIC processor with a built in 10 bit A/D convertor (probably 12F675).

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    Please tell me the white circular tube in the center is something a bit more beefy than a drinking straw.
    That tube in the middle looks like teflon (which by the way I heard is classified as a "liquid" fyi )

If the grittiness is caused by the teflon ring and post system, someone should try cleaning it with some air and lubing it.
    Hobbyist LED information Website
    U2 work light
    Shaky Emergency Light
    The Mags
    engineer in the making

Ohgeez Re: TITAN - taken apart

Err, teflon is used in non-stick cookware because it has the lowest friction coefficient besides melting ice...

I don't think it will be resposible for the grittiness.
    BART

YIKES! From the looks of things, it seems like the Titan is using some kind of Alien technology! Surefire has their sources, but they'd kill us, if we press them about it!

Dont want to spoil the party but you guys do know that once you "let the air in" this thing no longer works (at least that the way a lot of my dis-assemblies go). Thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 what View Post
    Dont want to spoil the party but you guys do know that once you "let the air in" this thing no longer works (at least that the way a lot of my dis-assemblies go). Thanks for the pics.
    I supposed it's vaccum sealed, then! Cool!

Hot diggity, flashlight pr0n at its best! The expensive stuff is almost always better to look at. Even if you know better than actually buying and using it.

I'll have to go find PSM's thread now.
    1) Neutral white, it's the new black. Heck, it's not even "new" anymore.
    2) User Interface... KISS.
    3) Proprietary cells and battery packs - Just say NO!

Larry

Oh yea...wanna borrow that tool big time OR let's see some pics of it so that we may replicate! McMasters must have solutions here...

Flashaholic*

Kinda explains why my Titan got real smooth after I put a couple of drops of Tri-Flow in the gap.

frisco

Flashaholic*

Is there a small magnet on the shaft. I would think the coil is some sort of inductive loop which senses the position of the magnet. I really don't think this uses a pot.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast