tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: SF TITAN ISSUES You have any?

:bow: :bow: :bow: You do realize you have some 'splainin to do. :D

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

After "Shopping" the pics, I see I was wrong about 3 spring-loaded pins. The head is retained by a retaining ring, visible in the 3 little holes. When the ring is squeezed into the power pak, the head is slipped over, and the ring expands into the groove inside. The tool I made should work- I just wasn't aggressive enough with it. I'm curious what the "finger" on the power pak turns?

Larry

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

After "Shopping" the pics, I see I was wrong about 3 spring-loaded pins. The head is retained by a retaining ring, visible in the 3 little holes. When the ring is squeezed into the power pak, the head is slipped over, and the ring expands into the groove inside. The tool I made should work- I just wasn't aggressive enough with it. I'm curious what the "finger" on the power pak turns?

Larry

I'm thinking we may have now found out what the "grittiness" is while activating the light. It must be the compressed retaining ring as it expands/presses into that groove.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I'm thinking we may have now found out what the "grittiness" is while activating the light. It must be the compressed retaining ring as it expands/presses into that groove.

I don't *think* so as the ring rotates with the head and pulling/pushing the head while turning doesn't seem to affect the "grittiness." I await a description of the power pak "Finger's" function. I'd pull mine down, but left the tool at work.

Larry

ShortArc

Enlightened

This thread is starting to get REALLY interesting...
Now I can't wait to get my Titan. Take it apart for sure!:twothumbs

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Wanna borrow my tool? :D We have drug yaesumofo's thread waay off topic, but there's been some good stuff posted here. I don't know how much work it would be with this boards software to drag the OT posts to a new "Tech" thread for the Titan. Bernie? For instance, I just "Ohmed" mine in the off position and got 20 Megs one direction and 13.2 MegOhms the other. (Which should suck the cell down in how many years? :D ) Just a thought.

Larry

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Wanna borrow my tool? :D We have drug yaesumofo's thread waay off topic, but there's been some good stuff posted here. I don't know how much work it would be with this boards software to drag the OT posts to a new "Tech" thread for the Titan. Bernie? For instance, I just "Ohmed" mine in the off position and got 20 Megs one direction and 13.2 MegOhms the other. (Which should suck the cell down in how many years? :D ) Just a thought.

Larry

I don't know what that means Larry. Are you saying to draws some power even when off?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
That was sure quick, Bernie! :bow:

TIN, It draws a really tiny micro bit of power in the off position. It's so small that I could be wrong!! (Fingerprints/Pro Gold :shrug: ) Off to steal PSM's X-ray for the thread:

222196507-O.png

I'm really curious how the thing works!

Larry

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks similar to a infinate adjustable desk lamp that I had 15 years ago, probably the same principle just on a smaller scale (don't ask how it works, I don't know).

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
From the X-ray. it seems to turn a ring (Magnetic?) which seems to surround 2 circuit boards. I suspect that is the source of the "grittiness" mine and others have reported.

Pk has to be ROFLHAO watching us trying to reverse-engineer the suckers! (He also knows we will succeed! :D )

Larry

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
So where is the pot (or other adjustment technology) located? Is the tab on the edge of the body pushing something or is that just the mechanical stop for min/max?

Thanks - Greg

Luminescent

Enlightened
Now we should be able to get an answer about what does the adjustment.

I can tell you what has NOTHING to do with it, and that's the toroid core in the middle with wire wound around it, that's just the boost-converter inductor.

The shaft and head most likely connect to a little potentiometer (variable resistor) of some kind on one of the PCB boards. I could be wrong here, there could also be some kind of fancy optical encoder, but my bet's are on surefire to use a cheap potentiometer. That would explain the reports of flickers and inconsistent behavior on some lights when the output level is changed (grassy control, like a noisy volume control in an old radio).

Obviously, don't risk busting anything to find out, but I would like to know if you can tell how the control mechnism works. I have a standing bet with someone in another thread that it's just a cheap pot, and PIC processor with a built in 10 bit A/D convertor (probably 12F675).