Need some help in picking the Surefire G2 LED ! ! !

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
I really really really really want a Surefire. I want the G2 Led. I've heard conflicting sentiments from some members of CPF on this torch, but some seem to really like it.

I will base my final decision on this important question:

Does the light body get extremely hot (like too hot to hold) after a certain amount of time? I figure that having a polymer body with an 60-80 lumen light and no where for the heat to go would pose a problem. Or does the cree emitter it uses keep it cooler than I expect.

Although I really doubt that I will be using this torch for more than 5-10 minutes at any one time, I just wanted to know that in an emergency situation I could count on it not to burn my hand, melt, or destroy the led.

Thanks to all who reply. I value your advice. :huh:

bollingerRD

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine today, but carried it on a walk home from a restaurant (actually my daughter carried it/played with it) and didn't notice excessive heat. The LED should not run as hot as an incandescent bulb. So far, so good.

Numbers

Enlightened
I have the Yellow G2L (all nitrolon), no heat problems at all.
However, note that SF has just converted the black G2L to an aluminum bezel. So something is going on, possibly heat related, that I assume is corrected/handled by the aluminum bezel.
They still show the yellow on their website with a nitrolon bezel, if they change that too, or just stop selling yellow with nitrolon bezel when stock runs out, then I guess that would confirm a problem with nitrolon bezels.
That said, I have had no issues.

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
For the short time my LED module worked, I never noticed a heat problem with it, though I probably only ran it for 5-10 minutes at a time at most. I read a post somewhere that the temperatures of a couple LED modules were about 100 degrees F for one and 120 for another, as measured with an infrared thermometer. Not sure which flashlight that was in, though. But I would think the G2 should be able to handle a lot more heat than that. Especially with only a 60-80 lumen light, there shouldn't be any problem. I'm looking at putting a 130 lumen one in mine, and many people have put various LEDs into their G2s, and with the amount that have done so, you would think that if it were a problem it would be a lot easier to find information regarding that. Another thing is, how long would you being using the light continuously? If you're going to leave it on for a half hour or more straight, then it might be an issue (and even then I'm not sure), but for up to 15 minutes at a time, I would definitely not worry.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat shouldn't be a problem because the circuit will reduce power to the emitter if it thinks the temperature is too high.

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
Heat shouldn't be a problem because the circuit will reduce power to the emitter if it thinks the temperature is too high.

Do all modules do this though, or just the higher quality ones? It seems to me the cheaper ones likely won't have this capability and will just burn out if the heat gets excessive instead of reducing the output.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe only the high dollar ones will cut output at too high a temp. THe cree led's can take a good bit of heat...you really have to abuse them to destroy one. The G2 is a great light with almost any Led. If you can spring for the costs- get the factory set up. The drop ins work fine, but don't always fit perfect. The light weight of the G2 makes it such a nice light to use. I have cree and seoul drop in. I like my seoul drop in the best- just because it gives a more even light with the spot larger and not quite as hot. Better for indoor and close work.

vertigo_2_20

Newly Enlightened
The stock setup would be the easiest option, but from what little I've seen about it, it's nothing to get excited about. An aftermarket drop-in might be better, and a lot of them (supposedly) fit a G2 just fine. Then again, the DX one I got was supposed to, but it still took some dremel work to get it to fit, although it eventually did, and that's a much cheaper solution than the stock one, however, not very reliable.

pvbwerjr

Newly Enlightened
:cool: I got a new G2L for a christmas gift this year and it has not gotten hot at all even after 1 hr of constant use. Warm, yes, but nothing that would damage the light or interfere with functionality in any way. I love the stock lamp because of battery life, but I'm considering a drop in such as a low output m60, however I hear these generate more heat. If you intend to keep it stock go for it, it's a great light.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too hot? Not likely and Surefire will replace it. Pick the one you want and don't sweat it. Gene recommends 15 minutes I think for the M60. I'm sure he will tell you. Cheapo drop-ins well there are too many to list here. My stock G2's have worked just peachy. Have fun, alot you can do with it.

boats

Newly Enlightened
They work good and heat is not a problem. Plenty of more advanced lights out there but for tough service and reliablity vs price the G 2 LED is a great light.

Boats

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really really really really want a Surefire. I want the G2 Led. I've heard conflicting sentiments from some members of CPF on this torch, but some seem to really like it.

I will base my final decision on this important question:

Does the light body get extremely hot (like too hot to hold) after a certain amount of time? I figure that having a polymer body with an 60-80 lumen light and no where for the heat to go would pose a problem. Or does the cree emitter it uses keep it cooler than I expect.

Although I really doubt that I will be using this torch for more than 5-10 minutes at any one time, I just wanted to know that in an emergency situation I could count on it not to burn my hand, melt, or destroy the led.

Thanks to all who reply. I value your advice. :huh:
You will not have any problem.
If you plan on playing surefire lego you may want to look at the 6P if you install a more powerful led the aluminum body will do a good job of moving heat.

The G2 was designed top be used with globes that run MUCH hotter than todays LED based globes.
You will have no problem.
Yaesumofo

alvin8803

Newly Enlightened
surefire g2 led in yellow

does the SF G2 Led in yellow color have aluminum bezel already?

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
as you can probably tell from my handle, that was my first Surefire, I love it!, I switched my drop-in to run a malkoff M60 and thats my beater light, i know that no matter what happens, that light will turn on. You won't have to worry about heat, the plastic doesn't conduct it, and LEDs really shouldn't get anwhere near as hot as the hotwires it was originally designed for. The only heat concern i had was that it was going to self-destruct the LED, but once i got that malkoff in the mail and felt how hefty it was...i knew then that my G2L was unstoppable. That being said, i carry my 6P most days because it does have better heat sinking so i could get the SST-90 to run in it...and well...thats just too ridiculous not to carry.

alvin8803

Newly Enlightened
Re: surefire g2 led in yellow

what is the difference between surefire g2 led and the surefire g3 led?:)