Best flashlight for non-flashlight folks? (X-mas gift for family)

bergx7

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I am a long time lurker and first time poster here on the main forums. Great place!

Anyway, I want to get a nice quality, very bright and very compact flashlight for my two sisters and my mother. The compactness I feel is necessary because otherwise they quite simply would pull the "oh how neat!" and then leave it on their dresser. :p

I am considering the fenix P1D but would appreciate all of your thoughts if there are other options. For one thing, I am not sure if giving them a CR123 light would be too much of a pain for them in terms of replacing batteries. Also, if the light gets really hot in their hands really quickly they might freak out. That being said, I would really like to give them something nice and bright that, in a possibly unsavory situation, they could use to their advantage to ward off potential threats in the parking lot, etc.

On that note, one of my sisters is going overseas and I am considering getting her a light with a strobe and/or tactical head which she could use in a self defense situation. I wonder how realistic you all think this is and/or if you have any suggestions. Conversely, I could just get her a little light and some mace :)

TIA, you guys have gotten me hooked on yet another expensive hobby :D

P.S. (my fledgling collection includes a surefire 6PLED, with some goodies, and a few DX lights....im just getting started...)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF :welcome:

Based on the experience with my mom and my wife I would advise against any U.I. that is more complicate than on-off. The level changing in a Fenix would probably be seen as a defect in the light. One level twisty is acceptable but knowing women the price of the first 123 battery replacement in a store would put an end to the use of the light (and maybe they are right...).
As to the use of a strobe to scare off attackers, your sister must surely know that a swift kick in the.... is much more effective.

So I suggest a nice 1 xAA simple and easy flashlight like for example a Lumapower L31.

xiaowenzu

Banned
:welcome:Firstly welcome to CPF! I agree Kilovolt on the Fenix... the U.I is such a liability.
My recommendation would be to get this:

Pic link...

It's a twin pack, for both of your sisters... how fitting! :thumbsup: Runs on AA, which means battery is easily replaces. 80 lumens out the front, so plenty of light for their needs. Oh, and here's a thread on it for if you need more info:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173941

Enjoy your stay, fellow flashoholic! :party:

P.s If you really want to go CR123, then I suggest the Novatac 120T... how could one possibly go wrong with that?!:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

awberke

Newly Enlightened
i feel that people should be aware that although the Hong Kong flashlights on places like dx and kaidomain are cheap for their brightness but they are also hit or miss with quality and vary significantly from light to light.

Last edited:

bguy

Newly Enlightened
i feel that people should be aware that although the Hong Kong flashlights on places like dx and kaidomain are cheap for their brightness but they are also hit or miss with quality and vary significantly from light to light.
I strongly agree with this. The DX lights are fine for me, but I prefer lights that are more reliable when I give them to people. Case in point, I let my sister take a C3 when she went to Mexico for a couple weeks. It stopped working after being dropped on a tile floor.

I'm always looking for decent lights to give to people. But I prefer they be priced $30 or less for family and good friends, and sub $10 for less important people. And they have to use normal batteries.

Bradley

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
The Dorcy single AAA is simple, fairly rugged, lifetime guarantee and under $10.

Everyone I've given one to seems to really like it.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a great light for a lady: It has a side clicky- and operates real smooth. I carry one all the time- have operated the switch hundreds of times. Just get each one (3)123 cells from Battery Junction or another supplier, and it will be years before they ever need more. I would suggest the Panasonic at $1.75 each ( shipped price) from Bat Junction. One of the best 123 cells at a decent price.

THe seoul emitter gives a very nice light for indoor use- but is strong enough to handle outdoor duties too.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3014

Last edited:

Boostedvl

Newly Enlightened
As you pointed out, it would probably be better to keep the battery type pretty common so that batteries are easy to come by. Also, make sure the UI isn't too complicated, then it will probably get used.

For a fairly compact light with good output and easy UI, I would recommend a Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80 it has 2 modes. Low and hi. If it is available and is within your budget it would be a pretty good light.

All the best.

Pharbor

Newly Enlightened
How about something from Peak LED? Generally their lights are twist ON, twist OFF, and they are pretty bright. They have models that run on CR123 as well as AAs and AAAs. They're US made the last I checked, they're built very solidly, and they have a Christmas sale going now (I think 20% off). It's been a while since I bought my Caribbean so if any of this is off, feel free to correct me...

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't get them anything that ran on lithium batteries. Somewhat because of the price and available of batteries, but mostly because of the danger factor.