Anyone make their own home made wine?

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to try something different so I thought I'd take a whack at it. The first attempt came out poor, most likely cause I used the wrong ratio of ingredients. The second time came out nice though. Anyone else try or do this regularly? Also does it make a difference what kind of sugar you use? (plain,powdered,brown,etc) Feel free to close this thread if it's considered inappropriate.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey lasercrazy! I don't make home made wine, but I do make home made beer, aka Homebrew, and I have for years, although lately I've been on an off phase, but I still have all my equipment to do all grain brewing, including a very expensive stainless steel pot and copper immersion chiller. Fun stuff, brewing. No matter how many times I do it, I still feel a child-like thrill at seeing the first CO2 bubles and yeast colonies, the first signs of fermentation. It's miraculous--or at least I feel like it is--every time. The miracle of life. Or, that could be the homebrew talking. hehe. Probably a combination.

BTW, be careful not to explode a carboy when doing fruit wines! The fruit mattes together and gets pushed to the top and can actually seal the container, preventing the CO2 from being able to escape. Then BOOM! A friend of mine had this happen to him while he was away on a trip. Came back to half fermented strawberries and broken glass splattered all over the inside of his brewing room. Not fun.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I haven't recently, but I did make wine with my dad years ago, from grapes grown in our own yard. It came out pretty nice.

I was planning on making something again one of these days, but as I hardly drink any alcohol (only a bit of single malt whisky once a month or so), I think I'm going to try something different. I could make wine or beer, but wouldn't be able to enjoy it much. I could try making whisky, but that would take forever and is too complicated to do at home.
Maybe I'll try making cheese or something... hmmm.... I might just make some wine to go with it too :)