Gunner12

Flashaholic
You'll have to define best.

Best Price?
Best Feel?
Best as in brightest?
Best as in most modes?
Best throw?

Best I've seen in all the stock lights would probably be the Nitecore Defender.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rayovac Sportsman 3-Watt is the best one I've seen to date...for the price anyway...it cranks out 80 lumens for a solid 2 hours on 2 AA's, has a nice tight beam, and decent throw...plus the tactical tail switch...not bad for $25...I use this for my day-to-day light at work, and have nothing bad too say about it. Hope this helps!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote goes to Arcmania's Maxlite series as being the best. I own a Maxlite Extreme, and it is by far the one of the most well built 1AA flashlights out there. I just wish they weren't so expensive so that I could buy more than one. But being a flashaholic dumping all my $$$ into a few flashlights just doesn't satisfy my addiction. :crazy:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Rayovac Sportsman 3-Watt is the best one I've seen to date...for the price anyway...it cranks out 80 lumens for a solid 2 hours on 2 AA's, has a nice tight beam, and decent throw...plus the tactical tail switch...not bad for $25...I use this for my day-to-day light at work, and have nothing bad too say about it. Hope this helps!

Output is actually about 60 out the front, which is still not bad for a Luxeon III light. Replace the LED with a Seoul P4 and watch the output double(or save yourself the hassle and but this light, or jump even higher and go for this light). It's great for a light that you can buy at a normal store.

:welcome:

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Output is actually about 60 out the front, which is still not bad for a Luxeon III light. Replace the LED with a Seoul P4 and watch the output double(or save yourself the hassle and but this light, or jump even higher and go for this light). It's great for a light that you can buy at a normal store.

:welcome:

I did this P4 upgrade and :poof: went the PCB within a week. YMMV. It was lovely while it worked, however. :)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

Go to Sam's Club and try fining these bad boys http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=370469&prDeTab=2#A. That's 5 bucks more than the Rayovac, but comes with 2, about the same lumens but much more runtime and has a forward clicky.

nightbeam

Newly Enlightened
What im looking for is an AA throw monster, :thinking:
Something no longer than about 7 inch:laughing:.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't think there are any real AA-throwmonster, the reflector is too small. Might even be better to get one of the bigger cheap DX/KD single AA-lights, usually have a bigger head for throw.
Another suggestion for throw in small package is Lumapower D-mini, believe it's the best throw in small package light out there, but it's a CR123-light.

nightbeam

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that.........

Iv also got my eye on a Tiablo A9 CREE LED, not AA though.
I wish there were some beamshots on youtube, not found any yet.
I may as well ask, what is the most powerful LED torch out there ?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
For a light that anybody can go into one of the big chain Brick and Mortar stores I also think the Rayovac 3W is pretty good stuff.

None of the easily available stuff are throw monsters, but out in quality dark most 1W and 3W lights do a nice job.

The throwiest AA light I own is a Streamlight 4AA LUX.

But I value a beam with a bright center fading gently out to good spill more than absolute throw....

qarawol

Enlightened
My vote goes to Arcmania's Maxlite series as being the best. I own a Maxlite Extreme, and it is by far the one of the most well built 1AA flashlights out there. I just wish they weren't so expensive so that I could buy more than one. But being a flashaholic dumping all my $$$ into a few flashlights just doesn't satisfy my addiction. :crazy:

I have to agree here on the ARC mania Maxlite Extreme. I have one too. As for the high price, 'ace0001a' just mentioned it... "it is by far the one of the most well built 1AA flashlights out there."

Check out the ARC mania Extreme II coming out. This will be hard to beat.

As for throw... The ARC mania single AA TTM (To The Max) TTM (Turbo Tower Module) with 3" Turbo Head. I have a custom TTM w/SSC P4 = OMG!!!! from a single AA battery.

Don't let just the prices scare you away. You are paying for Quality, Performance and a limited production Flashlight that generally keeps or increases its resale value.

Njoy...

nightbeam

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight DBS I have yet to get a price for this.

I have CMG reactor, and yeah its a nice little light, but im hoping this Dereelight would be manytimes better.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Dereelight DBS I have yet to get a price for this.

I have CMG reactor, and yeah its a nice little light, but im hoping this Dereelight would be manytimes better.

DBS with 1S(1-stage) Cree XR-E Q5 module, US$120 free shipping by EMS.
DBS with 2SM(2-stage mutipower) Cree XR-E Q5 module, US$115 free shipping by EMS.
DBS with 2SD(2-stage digital) Cree XR-E Q5 module, US$125 free shipping by EMS.
The above is from the DBS thread before the picture of the LED, I think the Digital module is the brightest one, but it only works with 1 18650 battery. It's about 61 pound shipped.

The DBS will be much brighter but it runs on 2 CR123 batteries or 1 18650 3.7V rechargeable Li-ion battery.

Wait, the Reactor, as in this light or this one?

The DBS has 11 time the throw or about 125 time the Lux figure of the Reactor 3 at 1 meter(160 Lux VS. the 20000 + lux of the DBS, 15 lumen VS. 170+ lumen). But the light is much wider. 16.7 cm long and 4.8 cm wide at the head.

No offense but even this light has more throw and output then the Reactor 3 and it's smaller and runs on 1 AA battery.

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
What im looking for is an AA throw monster, :thinking:
Something no longer than about 7 inch:laughing:.

Keeping in mind that technology keeps moving forward and whatever is a "throw monster" will be "out thrown" in just a few months time...

I wanted the best AA thrower myself, and in AA, as a "go to" light for bug-out situations.
I settled upon the L2D-Q5, rated at 180 lumens. I liked it so much that I've ordered another.
With the L2D-Q5, you have in one light, a "blaster" that will surprise you even when comparing it to more powerful lights like 2-CR123's (Tiablo, DBS, MRV).
The L2D's Turbo beam is not only very bright, but nice and floody at the same time with a huge hotspot that makes it more comfortable to use, but it's also a 55 hour, tail-standing candle when needed.
Additionally, one of mine is doing full time duty in my wife's car, not only for the obvious bright-light ability, but for it's strobe capability which comes in real handy when you're changing a tire on the shoulder of a crowded freeway (set it on the roof in strobe function, but do NOT point it directly into the oncoming traffic... you'll blind the oncoming drivers when you want to do is to alert them).

Even if you get one and then somehow think that it's not "throwy" enough, you'll still be glad you have one as a backup.

Last edited:

nightbeam

Newly Enlightened
The best LED i have is the Reactor that takes two AA. Its ok, and useless at the sametime.
A DBS isnt cheep, so i hope it is a big step up from the reactor.

It would be to use to check around buildings at night, and to use for self defence, do to a bit of searching in the rain etc.

Is the DBS up to the job ?