I pwned laser tag.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Hey everyone, up for a great story?
So I was playing laser tag with a few friends, and it turns out a group of maybe college kids (all about 21) were celebrating their friends birthday at the same laser course as me and my friends. So we start the first round and the college kids kept grouping together in packs of 15-20 and started charging threw the place. It is against the rules to do this (you cant have more then 3 to a group) and the staff wasn't doing anything about it. So after 5 attempts to get everyone on my team to stick together and fight them back I got really annoyed and needed a solution. So finally I looked at the gun, and low and behold there is a laser warning sticker on it. Warning Class IIIB laser product
880nm
>20mw
This got me thinking. I needed a better way to fight them. So my friends and I took a trip down to the army navy store a few blocks over and picked up a 880nm infrared flashlight :twothumbs for 75 bucks. Popped in the batteries and went back to the place. Sure enough the college kids were still there. So the round begins and there they are in the pack of 20 kids walking towards me (I was hidden in a mass of fog infront of a machine) then one of them saw the red blinking light on my vest and they were just about to fire when i turned on my flashlight and shined it right at them. All of them were hit in about 5 seconds. and they were all staring at me like wtf??? I just smiled and walked away. After that round we left. It was pretty sweet.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Nice story, now let's see the flashlight you bought. :devil:

I am unsure of the brand of the flashlight as it is unlabeled. I did a little research and I think it is the INOVA X5 IR but i'm not sure. I ruined my POS camera with my 55mw greenie from dragon lasers :rant: so I can't take a picture of it. I'll ask one of my friends if I can borrow his one of these days.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story. The last time I played laser tag (8 days ago) I must have run around with my legs bent the whole time, keeping low. They ached for half a week afterward. What sort of laser tag vests are available for the home market?

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
I really have no idea what kind of laser tags you can buy. I looked into it once when i was like 14 and i know you can pay up to 5 grand for a gun and vest. Google is your best friend :p

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I tried that last weekend. It took a surprising amount of searching to find a price range of $1200-$1400 for a basic professional-type vest/gun set, but most companies I found didn't actually mention prices. What is there at a more affordable level?

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Yeah, I tried that last weekend. It took a surprising amount of searching to find a price range of $1200-$1400 for a basic professional-type vest/gun set, but most companies I found didn't actually mention prices. What is there at a more affordable level?

When I was like 12 I bought a 75 dollar set from toys R us. It was pretty cool. I can't find them anymore, nor can I remember the brand. All I remember was that they made a beeping noise on the gun that gave away your position. I was so annoyed by that that I took it apart and ripped out the speaker, then I hooked it up to a car battery and watched it smoke untill it died. My advice, is unless you want to spend alot on a gun with only a 5mw IR laser diode (the legal limit) I'd get an airsoft gun. My last suggestion would be to take apart the guns on a 70 dollar set, buy the same wave length diode with more power (probably 30mw?) , supply better batteries and then buy some IR blocking goggles and try it out. Might be cool? Who knows. If you decide to do that, let me know. I'd help you figure out the technicals if you don't know ohms law and such cuz I'd be pretty interested.