single AA LED Christmas gift ideas?

Fird

Enlightened
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5346

My best guess so far is the DX SAIK single AA light for my girlfriend. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to dink around with 5 modes, and I know she would find 'exotic' batteries frustrating (123, cr2, etc..). Smaller is better or I know she won't carry it with her. Belt holster is ok she said. 50+ lumens, LED, somewhat regulated, and as small as possible. AAA is an option, but I was concerned about the heavily reduced runtime.

Anyone have anything better?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit off-topic, but I would strongly advice against giving your girlfriend a flashlight, unless she's into them or actually need one for work etc, or if you plan to give her something else.

Often the people around us are not as excited about flashlight like we are... :)

Fird

Enlightened
Marduke: Thanks for the quick reply, that one looks better than my original idea!

Lobo: You're right, and she's not going to become a flashaholic overnight, BUT, the reason I had this idea was because the other night she was complaining about having her car parked in a dark area, and I thought to myself "I could fix that." Trust me, this isn't the only gift I'm giving her!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
All 4 of my MTE SSC 1 mode (2 separate orders) have QC stickers and work on arrival. The lack of QC makes me wary of many other brands at the Far East online stores.

Next is the Fenix L1T v2.0 RB80. I have not found anything in between.
Fenix-store are sold out but other dealers (Lighthound, Eliteled, J2LEDflashlights etc. still show stock)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about the L0D just out as a Christmas special with a Q4 and in red color? It is a 1xAAA formfactor, but has pretty impressive specs in terms of output and runtime.

Oh, and it's so small, it should easily fit on a key chain so it will be there for those times when light is needed urgently. 4sevens' webstore is carrying it, I'm thinking of getting some for a gift. One thing, they are not cheap (though I think they offer a lot for the money).

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I think the multiple modes will just make it a hassle, re: the L0D. Even for me, I'm finding there is much merit to a solid, predictable output single-level light.

Fire, I have several of the KD SSC AAA lights, and they are very nice. I already ordered 20 more to give for gifts. Kai is arranging getting a gift box set up for these as well, may want to look at that if getting for her.

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I just ordered three of each of these from DX:

1993 UltraFire C3 Cree 1xAA 1x14500 Flashlight (with Holster)
5346 SAIK RC-A3 Cree AA Flashlight (Gray)

I am going to give them as gifts to co-workers, family & friends this year.

Last edited:

john46268

Newly Enlightened
But I think the multiple modes will just make it a hassle, re: the L0D. Even for me, I'm finding there is much merit to a solid, predictable output single-level light.

Fire, I have several of the KD SSC AAA lights, and they are very nice. I already ordered 20 more to give for gifts. Kai is arranging getting a gift box set up for these as well, may want to look at that if getting for her.

I have an L0D SE RB80 and never have to get to 'the modes' it does med, lo,hi and then I'm done and turn it off. I've only seen SOS and strobe experimentally. I didn't think I'd like it, but the ability to skip the blues modes rocks. It's never failed me and been extremely handy. (Keychain) I usually use high which it usually a bit too much!

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I like AA lights much better than AAA lights ... not much larger but much more performance and the slightly larger barrel feels a bit better (more substantial) in all hands.

I have the SKU 1995 light (Seoul SSC - MTE) and it is a terrific light as a gift for a ladyfriend. I'm giving one to a co-worker who's moving on as well as one to my Mom. 1 switch, 1 mode and the light has a lot of spill so is usable at moderate distances. Tint is pinkish .... but pleasing ... especially if you don't have another, whiter light right next to it. White wall hunters, I'm looking at you! :nana:

I also have the Rebel 100 5-mode 1xAA but I don't like the gimmicky modes (just high and low) and the tint is a bit green in some. I'm giving these away as gifts, too ... but I had to sort the tints from best to worst and decide who I like best. Hmmm ... should I award the nicest based on cup size? :huh:

None of the Seoul MTE lights had a bad tint ... all three were consistatnly good. :thumbsup:

I haven't gotten any of the Saik cree lights nor the C3 ... maybe next order. :broke:

bessiebenny

Enlightened
IMO, Ultrafire C3 (single mode - sku 1993) is the best bet for a nice "cheap" AA light that is built well and bright.
It is smaller than the MTE SSC P4 or the MTE Rebel also and looks more stylish as well and has option for extender later on.

See my review for some more comments / photos etc.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
IMO, Ultrafire C3 (single mode - sku 1993) is the best bet for a nice AA light that is built well and bright.
I have one of these and agree: They're very nice lights, esp. for the money.

If a two-mode clicky would work for you, I would go for the LumaPower LM31. I'm thinkin' of gettin' my wife one of these as a "stocking stuffer." Add a pack of AA Li-Ion batteries for long run-times :).

Jim

john46268

Newly Enlightened
++++++ on the LumaPower LM31
Super nice light with extras. Sturdy construction. Uses a single AA cell. Nice low low and generous High from the Seoul. On sale now for $31 plus 5% off.
Throw in a 4-pack of Energizers for a nice package!
LumaPower LM31 80 lumens 1 x AA with Seoul SSC P4 LED

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm301.html

Battery Junction - 5% off code: cpf2006

Happy Shopping!

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
The TnC Key-Lux and Peak Kilmanjaro both are AA lights, and are both made in USA, FWIW. :thumbsup:

Gaffle

Enlightened
What about the Jetbeam C-LE v2.0? Cost is $29.95 at BugOutGear (that is with the CPF discount). This light has a memory function so you can use it as if it has one mode. If you want a bit more light/less light just do a quick cycle.