LED light for technophobic father

bspofford

Enlightened
My 80 year-old father uses flashlights a lot but favors his huge 6V incan box that puts out a ringy yellow beam with only about 25 lumens. I knew he wouldn't want to mess with rechargeable NiMH or Li-ion cells, so I got him an 80 lumen 3XAAA 1-mode light. Today he told me that he broke a spring trying to insert batteries in the light that I got him and continues to favor his huge 6V incan box. My mother returned a 2.4 GHz portable phone that I bought for them because she couldn't remember to press the "talk" button when it would ring. I can imagine her saying "hello" repeatedly thinking that the calling party wouldn't speak. Both my parents refuse to let me buy them a computer for e-mail. Why do we feel the need to impose our love of tech on technophobic friends and family?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he's that technophobic, you maybe should stick to incans? If he's that stuck in his ways, the white light from a LED might not please him. Give him a quality incan instead of the one he has?

Illum

Flashaholic
I've never really got used to pushing the "talk" button either...
then again, I think the AT&T rotary phone I still keep in my room should be retired by now:rolleyes:

if he trusts that 6V light of his, steal it, mod it and put it back where it is. no point buying something new if he doesn't want it.

Secur1

Enlightened
Reminds me of the time i got a pair of PTT radios for my grandma and my mother (one each), thought it would be easier for my grandma to use it to communicate with my mother who lives 2 floors up instead of using the phone every time..... well she proved me wrong as she couldn't accept the fact that u simply have to push the button and talk, then let it go to listen...

Anyway i vote for a magled as well, nice and simple.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux:
- Won't break. Guaranteed
- Fairly simple UI [on/off]
- Bright
- Probably won't need to change batteries often.
- AA batteries
- Nice beam & tint
- Made in USA
~ $27

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ask yourself why do you want him to change? Is there really a problem to be fixed here?

But assuming you want him to have a brighter torch for reasons of failing eyesight or similar, then why not just upgrade the bulb in his 6V lantern? If he's only getting 25 lumens, then there is huge scope for improvement with just the standard 509 battery. A world awaits.

As a starting point, with a fresh battery, a KPR113 will pump out 90 lumens. Then you could progress to a LMSA401 (124 lumens) or a SPKR823 (similar). Or you could venture into mild hotwire territory with the Philips HPR53, giving about 160 lumens...

All the brightness you could offer him with LED for just the cost of a bulb, no change to his torch or habits, and he retains the ability to look after his own torch with an easy to change and grip 6V lantern battery, perfect for arthritic fingers. This way, he stays in total control. That is important.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is technology coming out that is simple by design for folks who don't like or are afraid of it.

I was reading about an e-mail printer coming out just the other day. When it receives an email, it prints it right away including attachments/pics. The receiving person can just scribble their reply on paper, feed it back to this device, and it is emailed back as a reply! Oh, and supposedly it works right out of the box to minimize setup hassles. (though I guess it would be installed in any case by someone else, if not a dealer then a less technophobic family member or friend).

also I was reading about a cell phone that only does...calls! (no cameras, MP3 players...for the same reason to get a simpler device).

flashlights have to be one of the simplest of technologies out there, provided you buy one with a big button that just gets pushed. Even a 2-stage flashlight is not too hard, since the user will press the (only available, big) button to shut the light off, and when it just changes levels, press it again at which point it will shut off.

there are many such lights, even complicated ones. If the problem is changing the batteries, maybe a rechargeable flashlight that just sits into a base plugged into a wall? I can think of the Inova T4 rechargeable (and maybe it also has a simple button design - though I don't own one and am not 100% sure). Plus if it is seated properly a little blue light comes on, so the user has positive feedback that the light is charging properly.

The T4 does not have the latest LED, but should be plenty more useful than the one currently being used!

bspofford

Enlightened
But assuming you want him to have a brighter torch for reasons of failing eyesight or similar, then why not just upgrade the bulb in his 6V lantern? If he's only getting 25 lumens, then there is huge scope for improvement with just the standard 509 battery. A world awaits.

As a starting point, with a fresh battery, a KPR113 will pump out 90 lumens. Then you could progress to a LMSA401 (124 lumens) or a SPKR823 (similar). Or you could venture into mild hotwire territory with the Philips HPR53, giving about 160 lumens...
Thanks all for comments! Regarding the upgrades to the 6V box light, where do I get them?

I think a lot of the problem is me trying to get him things that he doesn't really want or feel comfortable with. He and my mom travel in a commercial size pickup truck filled with big heavy items like his big flashlight and the "kitchen sink." Gas is getting so expensive that they're finally looking at a Honda Civic. At some point in time, they have to realize that they just can't take all their bulky stuff with them when they travel.

Phaetos

Enlightened
My 80 year-old father uses flashlights a lot but favors his huge 6V incan box that puts out a ringy yellow beam with only about 25 lumens. I knew he wouldn't want to mess with rechargeable NiMH or Li-ion cells, so I got him an 80 lumen 3XAAA 1-mode light. Today he told me that he broke a spring trying to insert batteries in the light that I got him and continues to favor his huge 6V incan box. My mother returned a 2.4 GHz portable phone that I bought for them because she couldn't remember to press the "talk" button when it would ring. I can imagine her saying "hello" repeatedly thinking that the calling party wouldn't speak. Both my parents refuse to let me buy them a computer for e-mail. Why do we feel the need to impose our love of tech on technophobic friends and family?

How can he break the spring in a little AAA light, yet manage to put those giant 6volt batteries in where you have to line up the springs on top of the battery? Either way, I would say give them MagLED 2D's, or the Brinkmann 2D 3W LED, see my review in the review section.

Illum

Flashaholic
Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux:
- Won't break. Guaranteed
- Fairly simple UI [on/off]
- Bright
- Probably won't need to change batteries often.
- AA batteries
- Nice beam & tint
- Made in USA
~ $27

if you ever buy one...use it for a bit first before giving it to your dad...the SLPP has had some switch issues in the past, but generally their ratings are pretty high. I've owned one, loved it , but now its retired. switches fine, LED [to best eye approximation] around a X1 tint, but ymmv

speaking of huge incan boxes, Im surprised theres so few discussions on streamlight vulcan or Litebox

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do we feel the need to impose our love of tech on technophobic friends and family?
The question is why YOU feel that need.
If they're obliviously happy with what they have, let them have it.
Yes, any Cree flashlight would beat the pants off your father's old incandescent boat-anchor of a light. He'd probably still not like it, though, because tecnophobic people are fun like that. Give it up and you'll both avoid frustrations.

GregWormald

Enlightened
What you need to do is simple.
1. Work out how much you are willing to spend on the dear old man.
2. Subtract from the amount the cost of an improved bulb, or at most, an LED replacement.
3. Buy and install the replacement only if you get his permission.
4. Buy yourself something wonderful with the difference.
NOW YOU ARE BOTH HAPPY!

Illum

Flashaholic
The question is why YOU feel that need.
If they're obliviously happy with what they have, let them have it.

good point:thumbsup:
I tend to think of it as a personal obligation to help those around you who are still using technology you consider redundant/outdated....
I'm sure others here have the tendency to do so also :candle:

Burgess

Flashaholic
What Ictorana said. :thumbsup:

And, when you go to visit your parents,
(or perhaps every 6 months or so),
take him a brand new 6-volt Energizer Alkaline battery.

Install it in his light. You do it for him.

At the same time, you can verify the bulb still works.
If not, replace THAT with a spare that you have with you.

See if there is a space inside his light, to store a spare bulb.
If so, put another one there. And show yer' Dad where it is.
(just in case it dies while you aren't nearby)

To put it simply, try to make things as easy as possible for your parents.
So that, (usually) all they will EVER hafta' do is push the button, and LIGHT will come out.

If you wanna' replace the bulb with an EVERLED lamp,
that's an option, too.
Your choice.

BTW:
I know JUST what you folks mean about the Cordless Phones and the Talk button !

:wave:
_